Register now to get rid of these ads!

What'd you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Mar 3, 2012.

1. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

We had a 1949 chevy p/u on the farm. My sister and I drove in the pasture [it took both of us to operate the clutch and shifter.] I was 8 and she was 9 or 10. great times on the farm.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Probably got turned into a prius....

3. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

4. Most of us on here can't show you what we learned to drive in because cameras were not that prevalent way back then.:p

5. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

hahahahaha! thats funny

6. dad-bud

dad-bud

I learned to drive in my mum's 65 HD Holden sedan (Dad died when I was 5) - I musta put about 20,000 miles on that car before I could go for my licence. It was the 179 and Powerglide - yep, the 'Big block'!
    I got my licence on my birthday, that was the soonest I could get it, in a HQ Sedan with 3 on the tree - it was almost the best day of my life (other than family related things, of course).

7. joeb1934

joeb1934

85 2wd s-10 blazer. HAHA!! vroom vroom!

8. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

My parents never had a car so other than small tractors I drove as a kid when visiting rural relatives, the first car I spent any time driving was the '67 Jag E-Type roadster that I bought for myself when I graduated from college engineering school and got a decent job. That's not counting a few trips down the 1/4 mile in cars before I even had a driver's license but that didn't teach me much about driving since they weren't very powerful.

9. 1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible.
    I'm betting not many HAMB ers ever heard of these cars.
    They were produced by the Roots Group and were a very upscale and customized Hillman Minxs.
    It was a soft pastel light gray color, with a red convertible top and light gray leather with red pipping.
    Very popular rallye cars in Europe.
    My dad was a Lincoln~Mercury dealer in the 50's and 60's and took on Roots products as an import line. His dealership was in Waltham, Massachustts.
    He did a lot of rallying and auto crossing with that little twin carb 4speed baby bomb.
    He used to regurly chew up speedometer gears, tach cables and synchros. Wonder why???
    Yes. He also sold Sunbeam Alpines and Tigers...... Rockets back in the 60's.

10. dadseh

dadseh

offroad....gray Fergie tractor
    onroad...Dad's 54 Plymouth

11. hotrod brice

hotrod brice
    from molino,Fl.

At the house:46 8n ford tractor
    On the street:65 f-100/390 circa 1985

12. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

My Mom's 69 Dart, 2dr ,318

13. Old Heap

Old Heap

'53 Ford Pickup, Flathead V-8

14. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

My grandpa's Chevy truck. That's me behind the wheel, in 1954, age 14. My grandpa was so cool, he let me drive it all over town, by myself, delivering hay, fertilizer, RR ties, whatever. I was a pretty good driver by the time I was old enough to get my learner's permit!

Attached Files:

15. Ron67

Ron67

52 GMC pickup, drove it all over an eighty acre field. Took my driver's license test in a two year old 56 Chev 2 door hardtop w/ powerpack.

16. Apittslife

Apittslife

Ford Tractor at the age of 8, Pulling empty hay trailer's back to the fields.
    First Car was 1970 Ford Maverick, 6 Cyl. three on the tree.

17. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

55 Cameo, 235, 3 spd. Took driver test in it also. 1960

18. spooler41

spooler41

Damn,Sure do have a bunch of H.A.M.B 's who learned to drive on 8&9 N Ford tractors.
    For me it was a 8N Ford in 1952. My first car was a 29 Ford 2dr.,when I was 12 years old,
    I had to drive it in the south field only,but it was about 5 acres and I managed to carve out a nice oval track near the fence.I didn't make to the street much until I got my license in 1956.

..................Jack

19. Learned in my stepdad's '57 Ford F350 flatbed when I was 13.

Then he taught me how to deliver roofing materials to his jobs.

20. old gezzer

old gezzer

I started at age 14 on a 39 Indian Scout then first 4 wheeler (actually 6 wheels) was a 28 model AA truck in a orchard. finally took my drivers license test in a 41 Hudson.

21. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

72 ford truck of my cousin teddy's, 3 on the tree, won't lie hated it! He told me " Roy, if ya can't drive this you'll never appreciate a good truck." Other than drivers Ed,and automatics it was my dads 78 ford truck 3 on the tree and my first love a 50 1/2 f1 truck,had folks argue with me that it had a 51 tranny,but the 50 1/2 came from the factory with column shift. Drove that truck thru high school, and stupidly sold it after I got married the first time. I've learned a lot in life, never get rid of a truck you love,and never get rid of a dog. Luckily im to the point in life that that I've gotten another truck. 48 ford f1 ,nothing fancy ,gonna have another flatty in her, out of the ordinary a 59 ab,I realize it ain't the motor that came in her,but its mine and ill do it like I wanna. I have gleaned a lot off this site, and will continue to do so. God bless ya all, and I hope to see y'all down the road.

Peace be with you and yours

22. dads 52 ford pickup in a bumpy cow pasture

23. 1965 Ford Anglia ..... (harry potter car)

POS !!

got my licence though :) :)

24. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

61 VW Bug when I was 12, along with a few tractors. Driver's Ed in a brand new 71 Torino fastback. Took my test in Dad's 69 Buick Skylark.

25. carmuts

carmuts

At 8 years old I learned to drive a Farmall C tractor with a mower. Long summer learning how to put up hay. It was alot of fun the first few day and just long hot days after that. Rod

26. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

That was in 1966, My mom had this 58 Chevy Nomad wagon. 348 4 bbl, I used to love to hear that 4 bbl come in when I hit passing grear. Never forgot it.:D:D

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D About 1957 when I was 12,I learned to drive in my Dads `49 Chevy Suburban.3 onna tree.Those were fun times.
    Good lick.Have fun.Br safe.
    Leo

28. A 74 Mini !!!! My ex-wife was lucky as i taught her in my 37 Willys. JW

29. A giant 68 cad sedan deville. That's a 4 door hardtop that was a bit longer than a city bus. Friend of the family gave it to us for my bro and and I to drive and be safe inside. I'd drive it around in the pasture- side swiped a fence when a bull scared me (I was about 10 or 11).
    I thought the power popper on the trunk was pretty cool.. I'd like to have that high compression 472 back- it'd be perfect for a hauler idea I have.

30. My son learned on a non-HAMB-friendly 71 SS 454 Chevelle that I've owned forever.
    I used to return home from long trips or vacations with the wife and puzzle over the long strips of rubber in front of the house.
    Figured it was possibly local hoodlums coming by to visit or raise hell.
    His cousin Mike accidentally let the cat out of the bag one night about 5 years ago when singing praises about the Line Loc in "uncle Jim's Chevelle.
    That cleared up that mystery.