Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pictures of truly 'traditional' hopped up pickups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JLeather, Dec 11, 2012.

1. JLeather

JLeather

Ok, so I searched for this as much as I could and didn't find it, but I know that 90% of the "can I get pics of ________" threads get a few sarcastic responses about google and then a link to a half dozen similar threads that already exist. I swear I can't find a thread like this already so here goes. I'm starting in on my '46 chevy pickup soon and I've been searching around for pictures of legit traditional hot rodded pickups. Stuff built in the 50's and 60's. Not looking for 41-46 chevies specifically, although since that's what I've got that's what I'm most interested in of course. I know trucks weren't the vehicle of choice for most people building back then, but I'm also sure there are some great examples out there all the same. An ass for every seat, people building with what they've got, etc. I've looked through a lot of the pic threads with trucks in them, and there are a lot of nicely done trucks in them (and some 'other' trucks too ;)), but not much as far as trucks really built back in the day. Anyone got some cool pics to share, preferably old pics of old builds, but maybe something done recently if it's truly got a traditional flavor. If such a thread already exists I'll take my lumps like the rest of the people who apparently can't navigate the site and wait for a link :D

2. Here is a true traditional shop truck. it needs paint and is a little rough around the edges but it is a hot rod. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I think there is a thread of gasser pickups somewhere, some of them are not very traditional but some are, maybe use gasser +picups for your search criteria.

3. JLeather

JLeather

Gassers are cool, but I'm looking for something you'd have found on the street. A 40's pickup with some rubber rake, a period engine (preferably a 6 since I have a soft spot for them), etc. I'm curious to see what kind of body mods people were doing to 40's pickups during the hot rod era. The 30's pickups are close enough to the 30's cars that they respond well to the same sort of body mods, but in the 40's they really started to diverge. I want to make a few small but significant changes to mine and looking for inspiration (plus I love old pics of hot rods).

Nice truck, BTW. I really miss my '66 C20.

4. I put 80K on this one then gave it to a friend to play with. Between us we probably own half a dozen C series trucks.

Let me make a search, not going to find many rodded period correct 40s trucks. I had a '41 years ago that all I did was drop it a bit and put a late model 6 in it and drive it.

I figured that someone would have begun posting by now.

5. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Here's a couple pictures of my '51 daily driver. Built similar to one of 7 of these I've owned over the last 45 years.
    Dropped axle, lowered leaf springs, flipped axle in the rear with lowered springs,
    261 six, passenger car 4speed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My '65 beater. 20 year daily driver prior to the '51.
    [​IMG]

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

My wife's '36. Not really a daily driver but she does drive it often during good weather. Stock (restored) '58 283, C-4 auto, banjo rear end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JLeather

JLeather

I like it without the side curtains. I'm wondering if I can leave mine off and smooth the cab out where they used to go. Always nice to see an engine after you've put so much time into making it pretty.

8. You certainly could or you could leave it alone then when you wanted to cover it up you would have a compleyelt different rod.

I have a '38 Ford ( sedan) and it has hood sides above the fenders. I am putting to together so I can remove them to show off or leave them on for a more sedate look.

Just a thought.

9. JLeather

JLeather

This is what I'm talking about (reposted from the general '41-'46 Chevy Truck thread):

The red one looks like something I'd expect to see hauling a car to the strip, and then having a little fun on test-n-tune night.

The blue one is a little over the top, but I love that grill.

Attached Files:

10. Faus

Faus

I love this pickup! Especially since it has a handicap plate.

11. shuffster

shuffster

My old high school ride. Bought it in 1966, painted it in 1974 and stored it until last year. SBC engine, T350, 57 chev rear............

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      515.7 KB
      Views:

12. it was mildly traction challenged. I loved it too. Had a lot of fun and many a road trip in this old truck.

13. My favorite, especially with the 4-71 under the hood.

Steve

Attached Files:

14. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Ya know...the thing that really makes the mid '60s truck neat is the suspension...basically a passenger car with truck body. Mine rode great...mile after mile, after mile. It was the most comfortable old car/truck I've ever owned.

I miss it....

15. jazz1

jazz1

16. lawman

lawman

Nice looking truck's Guy's !!!!

17. triumph 1

triumph 1

Not sure if this is traditional enuf ? Here's my 32

Attached Files:

18. I have lost count on how many of this series truck I have owned over the years. The first one we ever owned we though was late model, the wife or I owned that first one atleast half a dozen times between us.

I do not believe that you can find a better riding stock pickup truck than the early C series Chebby.

19. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here is my '57 Stude waiting its turn. It will stay stock with a '50 Commander motor with OD.

Attached Files:

20. Luther's old beater,,living in England now.HRP

[​IMG]

21. Importsmasher

Importsmasher
    from Selmer, TN

Attached Files:

22. The blue chevy in post #9 is here in CO. It was for sale in the summer. Runs an Olds motor. Very cool truck.

23. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

My '53 Stude

Attached Files:

24. jazz1

jazz1

show us the dash on the stude,,is it sparse???

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here's my 1940 pickup that was last painted and pinstriped about 1957. Has a 53 Merc flathead w/4bbl carb, 40 floorshift trans with open drive to a 1967 Mustang rearend on Chassis Engineering parallel spg kit. Front brakes are 1955 F100 pkp.
    Lincoln Zepher steering wheel. Still has both halves of original windshield as well as back glass. Also has chev pickup rear fenders and Desoto bumpers front and rear.

Attached Files:

26. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

I'd say !!

Attached Files:

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)light pickup.

Attached Files:

28. tommyd

tommyd