Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neat little car...what do you think? (almost o/t)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluebrian, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

I know it doesn't fit the traditional mold, but i stumbled on this little vw squareback. It just has a real nice clean look to it and looks like a fun little wagon. Just thought ya'll might like to see something a little different. I saw the euro hot rod thread and thought this was along those lines.

[​IMG]

2. oooooooooooohh dude..ya best take cover !just in case !

3. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Ha ha i knew i was gonna start a shit storm...i found the car a long time ago and just really liked it...at least i waited till 190 posts to throw myself at the dogs.

plus it has been a while since there was a vw trash post.

-b

4. Great daily, just dont let your girlfreinds dad see the air mattress in back!

5. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Yeah i was looking at it as a daily. A big nasty loud fun v8 just wouldn't help the wallet when it comes to gas.

I figure something like this could still hold on to the fun aspect while i was finishing the bike and working on other projects.

6. Donzie

Donzie

I'd drive that, even in public!

7. i like it. i've had no less than 6 VW's and loved them all.

8. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

9. Buy it, Drive it, Love it.

Ich bien ein HAMBster!!!

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

i've had close to 30 vw's. squarebacks, a ghia 'vert, a fastback, a coupla vans, and A WHOLE LOOOOTTTTTT of bugs ranging from '56-'72 supers. and am really wanting one now. i have to sell something else first to make it happen and with the car market what it is it ain't happening. i really want a notchback as i have never found one i could afford. vw's are fun cool easy to work on a fairly cheap to build. to the quote above about pushing them 1/2 the time thats bullshit. the only time i could fix anything that broke at least enough to get home was when i slung a rod in my '60 rag. vw's are easy as hell to work on. just to make those that like these cars here jealous i've had a set of original REAL BRM's sitting in storage for the last 17 years. still in boxes. yes i know i could sell them for enough to build a vw project hahaha. just couldn't do it. hell they were hard to come by in the late 80s much less now. oh yeah got a set of original 5 spoke empi's too. even though i've taken a break from vws for about 10 years i knew i'd go back sometime so i kept the important stuff(kadron dual carb set up, lots of speed stuff, etc). to show how budget friendly those cars are i owned 90% of them before i turned 21.

anyhow i'd be damned proud to drive that squareback...ken....

11. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

thats a cute car, I'd probably let the old lady drive one lol

12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I'd rather walk! :D

13. Greywolf

Greywolf
    from Memphis

Find a way to get around the rear trap for the engine cover.

If it ever catches fire - it will seal shut and you won't be able to extinguish the mess under it.

I've seen five of them do that, no way to put it out. Invest in onboard fire supression...

(CO2 with blanket spray patterns, followed by water if you can do it)

But the main issue is access. You can't get in there after the fire warps everthang.

It's a type 3, and can be porshed out - but get ready for the price of titanium...

Friend of mine once told me he could have bought two more houses in Mira Mesa California with what he spent on tuff metal alone...

Big hawaiian fella - ran Gia's at Riverside

He was big into 68 and 67 transporters (twenty window vans), and used to be a dog trainer in the mil.

14. Greywolf

Greywolf
    from Memphis

They're your shoes, do what you want with 'em.

"Speed is the DEED..."

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I like VW...but an onboard fire supression system? In a squareback?
    Hahahahaahahhahahahhahahhahahhahahha.....! sorry.

I CAN relate to VW fires though...
    My dad burned his hand real bad trying to put out our old split window camper once. Steel bat strap moved and shorted the positive cable, setting the tar-top battery on fire. Right under the propane tank!
    On board fire enhancement!!! LoL

He succeeded, and we led a big line of cars down the highway...all the way home! As usual. :D

Wish I had that underpowered little hotel now though...it WAS cool.

16. been a while since i seen a squareback that clean, hell i've only seen maybe 2 aircooled vw's in the past 5 yrs in the st louis area. great cars, easy to work on & good on gas. hell yes drive it as a daily driver...joe

&&&& luckystiff here's my 65 Notchback i built about 20yrs ago, the color of the pic ain't the best, it's vw seablue. i did a ground up on it & put late model suspension under it w/a 1800 & duel webers.....

Attached Files:

17. jazzbum

jazzbum

vws rock. get 120 horses out of that sucker and itll fly. easily the cheapest old car to run and repair there is (as long as it aint an autostick). enjoy!

18. luckystiff

luckystiff

envious what else can i say. it's another one of those i will own one somedays cars. man that list is jus to long. hahahaha. anyhow nice notch and i'm sure it's missed. i know i'd give up alot to get a coupla my vw's back that i let slide outta my grip. oh well...ken....

19. yes & no. cool car, yes. great to drive, yes. did it get lots of looks, yes. hell it even took 1st place at a show where it was the only foriegn car & it was up against some nice 60's cars & trucks. talk about some pissed off people :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , all i heard was "fucking vw's" lol. the main reason i got rid of it was being 6'2" & have fucked up knees & back i just couldnt climb in & out of it anymore or use the clutch. if i could have it back 2day, hell ya i'd take it. but then i'd just give it to my son :D :D :cool: ...joe

20. Swingshift

Swingshift
    from Tacoma WA

Vw s are awsome shitbox a-b cars.What are you supposed to do with $3.00 a gallon gas,buy a Honda?I can't think of any other car that's old and can get 30 miles per gallon.The only gripe I have is this obsessive compulsive can't leave well enough alone problem that I'm sure you all have.VW s are too easy.You can't not buy accesories and other junk it's all in stock at your local VW shop.They are addictive.

21. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I'd drive that in a heartbeat. Cool old car with great gas mileage, what's not to like?

Doc.

22. DrJ

DrJ

Great pile of custom building material!
    That roof is perfect for making bubble skirts on a real car.
    I used the roof off one of those to replace the bottom 5" of bothe doors on my 40 GMC and on the fender area side panels too.
    That really high quality German steel is great to work with when doing patch panels. :cool:

23. HELLMET

HELLMET

i'd roll it 3.25 gl it takes 20 bucks to fill my 67 deluxe bus

Attached Files:

24. VW's are cool, but I just sold all (3) of my vintage buses. I have always loved them...but the true Hardcore VW Hobbiests are ASS HOLES.

BTW: I would cruise that squareback...its clean. :) then sell it to the Europeans. :)

25. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

If you didn't notice my HAMB name, I happen to like VWs. I have a 72 Super. It's been fun, easy, and cheap. It's not a daily driver, but it gets driven a lot.

I like the squarebacks a lot and have been tempted to pick one up. A clean green one keeps popping up for sale in my area, taunting me. But, the Beetles are probably your best bet for practical reasons. The parts, every part of the entire car, are available very cheap. I'd recommend a non-Super Beetle (they have the front torsion tubes instead of struts). They're the most versatile and well-supported by the market. There is a ton of parts compatability between the different models, but for the Beetles you can get every single piece of metal and every single nut and bolt brand spanking new for pennies. cip1.com is a vendor I've had good luck with, if you don't have a local shop.

Also, if you didn't know, check out volksrods.com. People are doing some really cool "hot rod" type VWs.

By the way, I think there were something like 23 million Beetles sold. You don't see them on the road that much anymore, but they're out there.

26. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

Buy it!! then let me drive it to school!!

27. joerox

joerox

i got a 73 super beetle that i use basiclly as a daily as long as there is not snow or a lot of rain in the forecast. Cheap, fun, and you can basiclly order any part from stock to custom to you door in a few days, supers can get a little more expenisve bc of the front suspension, but when its dialed in it is great. Lots of performance upgrades and so easy to work on its scary. thesamba.com is the place to go for aircooleds. But like swingshift said they are addictive... parts are new cheap and work and whole running beautiful cars can be had for 4g, good luck with it

28. tx longroof

tx longroof
    from fort worth

i probably would like muscle cars instead of customs if it werent for vw's first. they seem to go hand in hand (kinda) with customs and hot rods. my first car was a 72 super and right now i have a 56 bug that's a low 13-high 12 sec car (25 mpg to boot!) and a 71 ghia that i have plans to make into a late 50's style custom, i bet people on here LOVE kustom vw's hahaha!bluebrian, where are you in dfw?

29. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Wow...an overwhelmingly positive response...not what i expected...

And if i get it, yes you can drive it eric, but only on the days you let me drive the bird...

30. A buddy of mine had one of those :) . Then he decided to get a job ;) .

Cute :D