Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swapping Ford axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donnymopar, Jan 5, 2013.

1. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I'm not a Ford guy and was wondering if I can swap 6 lug Ford 2006 truck axles for 5 lug ones. If so, which years?

Thanks,
    Don

2. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

...I have a 2006 truck (not sure from model) complete 6 lug rear that I would like to use in a current project.

Don

3. k9racer

k9racer

You can find a machine shop in your area and just get them to redrill to what ever you want.

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

redrill is the probably the easiest

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

were in the world did you find a ford w 6 lug

6. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

2006 ford (I think F-150) 8.8 rear with discs...got it from a kind gent here (free) on the HAMB last summer.

7. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

...thanks for the help guys, I need to run a spacer to go to a 5 on 6.5 old 24 dodge solid wheels. I will research more into re-drilling and making a spacer. Was just wondering if it would be easier to swap out axles since the 5" to a larger 5" pattern would be easier to make a spacer for.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, when you have that axle narrowed so the wheels fit the Dodge without having the wheels sit six inches further out on each side than they should you can have the shop that cuts the axled down redrill the flanges.
    Sometimes just getting a great deal on a part isn't a good enough reason to use it instead of something that would fit better and work with a lot less hassle even if a guy had to spend a few bucks in the process.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2..........after all, how much will you invest in 'converting' your free axle assembly into something useful for your purpose?

Ray

10. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Worked on the problem this weekend. I think I will have to start a thread build to show what I've been doing...anyways, even though the rear was free, I wanted a ford rear running discs since I will be using (we'll see how this works out) the stock Dodge front end (which has no brake system -on the 24 and older Dodges).

I talked to a friend of a friend who will be making me a spacer to fit the 5 lug studs at the final 5 on 6.5 21" disc wheels of the Dodge. So, it looks like we will weld up the originals and re-drill a 5 on 5.