Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another paint thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Gent, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Recently read some threads and posts on more reasonable priced paint to use on your ride. Quite a bit of mention of Rustoleum. I would like to hear from users where they buy Rustoleum, what formulation or series used and what colors available. Went into my local Lowes the other day and was disapointed in what was available. We're talking quarts or gal. now. 3 - 4 basic colors, wh. blk. red gray. No hardner. In the threads there was mention of using Acetone for thinning. I took that as a personal preference, but was surprised to see that was what Rustoleum recommended. I'm here in FL so if anybody can fill me in on availability, I want to give it a try. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Not sure on a color selection for Rustoleum i used mostly black when i painted my 1950 ford f1. I used mineral spirits to thin it out. it laid down nice with a little orange peel. But it does look better once wet sanded. Also i got a gallon of the gloss black and the thinner from my local menards.

3. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

54hotrodder, How was the dry time with the mineral spirits?? I'm still open to more input on Rustleum.

4. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Dont mess around with that crap. If you want cheap good paint go with nason single stage.

5. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

County Gent. If i remember right its was about an hour and a half to two hours. I also did have the flood lights on it in the booth. With the heat on.

6. flamed34

flamed34

Xs 2 on the Nason. It's tough, and by the time you purchase Rustoleum, reducer, an enamel hardener...

Also, rustoleum will fade over time due to the lack of UV inhibitors.

I made the mistake of painting a gas pump, with hardener, with rustoleum. It looked good for a few years, but is now faded horribly.

7. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

wow. Not hijacking but thanks for the info on rustoleum. My truck hardly see the sunlight, and if it gets a little I dont care. I painted mostly all of my cars underside with rustoleum and im pleased with the way they look.

8. BJR

BJR

With any luck the sun never sees the bottom side! So Rustoleum is great for frames and the underside of floor pans.

9. To accelerate the drying time oil based industrial enamels like Rustoleum use Japan dryer sparingly.

Mineral spirits is a good thinner but Penetrol will help the paint flow.

Both products can be bought at most shops that sell house paint. HRP

10. You could check out my Henry J thread for recent photos of my Rustoleum roller job. If you can't spray it works well, if you can spray just get cheap automotive paint.

11. voodoo1

voodoo1

you could go to home depot and buy their cheap paint. It works better than Rustoleum. Mike

12. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

LOL,yes and i hope the sun never does see the bottom of my car. But i was saying that it holds up pretty well. As in chips, peeling, and so forth

13. Elmer Rodger

Elmer Rodger
    from San Diego

I've used rustolium for touchups on heavy equipment after welding on them. the only problems I've found are color matching and turning flat if you try to add a another coat after setting up and before fully curing.

14. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Thanks again for the continuing info. Getting away from the cars and trucks, my other interests fall into antique tractors and machinery. Up until a short time ago I was able to purchase Valspar brand Truck and Tractor paint. Pretty durable, fast dry and a large coice of colors. Tractor Supply Co. dropped the line for Majestic "Majik" paint and it is crap especially for drying time. "4 to 5 DAYS" and you could still scrape it off with your finger nail and if you laid a small part on paper you were in deep shit. The rattle cans don't even include a dry time or a customer service phone number on the label.
    I have used Nason on a small project and was pleased. Nason of course is a true automotive paint and not a industrial paint as Rustoleum, Home Depot, etc. My personal feelings are, if I was going to put all my time and body work (which I hate) into my ride I would not shoot it with Rustoleum or any other industrial paint. It just did not sound right for me and I just wanted more input on the product. This is the info I was looking for. Even for my implement projects, I do need a good quality industrial paint with a variety of colors available. Some of the threads I have read here on the HAMB about Rustoleum did not mention what colors were used. I would be interested in knowing. I have a old contact of a paint store I used to do business with and I will be checking with them. If something of interest comes up, I will pass it along. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  15. csf64ss

csf64ss

i have been involved with a driveway resto of a 64 impala ss for quite sometime now since movin to central florida....i entertained sendin it out for paint...privateers, maico, etc....but after reading and seein pictures of the rolled-on sponge brushed, wet sand, multi-coat cheapo..i went for it!....im doin it a panel at a time...useing a combination of top-side marine, penetrol, and mineral spirits.....i love it!..it works well for me an my wallet...and i seriuosly doubt that when im finished no one will be able to tell the difference between el-cheapo...and a more expensive 2 stage what ever auto specific paint job......penetrol plus any oil based enamel in my opinion is low budget por-15.....and the top-side marine contains uv inhibitors...because its boat paint.....my last 2 coats will be sprayed on with a harbor freight hvlp gun bougt at a garage sale new for 5 bucks.....thats all i have to say!....it works for me an probly for a couple of thousand others who probly would admit it?

16. cadilade

cadilade
    from San Diego

Sorry to hijack and bother you all, I"m trying to figure out how many quarts does it take to paint an average 50's era car with a spray gun? Before reducing it with mineral spirits? The reason I ask , my elderly neighbor asked me I would do her the favor paint her 1958 Apache that she has in the garage? She is on a super tight budget..

17. Diavolo

Diavolo

About a gallon and a half, but I would just buy two... they're cheap enough.

18. horsepower62

horsepower62
    from tyulare ca

my understanding if you ever decide to spray paint any automotive paint later you will have to strip all that oil base paint off---it will cause it to react--

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's more reasons NOT to use Rustoleum on the finish panels than there will ever be FOR using it. It's for fences and landscaping stuff. For wrought iron rails, and maybe even the frame rails of an ultra cheapo-crappo-why not type of redo. The cheapest single stage refinish mat'l designed for the job will be cheaper than trying to do it with rustoleum, last longer, handle better nd in the end will be something you can be somewhat proud of. There's good uses for the ol fish oil paint, but body panels ain't one of em. I don't even want to see the 3-4 "...mine came out..."s because in person I know exactly what it looks like. If it's worth doing at all...

20. Diavolo

Diavolo

Funny thing... he didn't ask your opinion on it, just that he "wanted to try". If you can't be helpful, there are plenty of other threads to read.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

The 62 wagon in my avatar has a BASF product called Limco 3 urethane on the black surfaces. Its a satin base coat that hasn't been clear coated. It cleans up with soap and water and I clean the hand prints with spray detailer. If I want it shiny all it needs is to be cleared. The good news is the price, $18.75 a quart for the paint and $46.00 for the hardener.

22. indyjps

indyjps

Any farm store will have industrial enamel, farm and fleet, rural king, etc, doesn't have to be rustoleum brand specifically. Mineral spirits has a slow dry time so all the dirt, bugs will get into it, go with the acetone. Id still recommend a cheap auto grade enamel over the industrial products. There a guy on ebay selling Omni gallons for under $50. Its not great but it will perform better than rustoleum at the same price