Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Ford Customline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jan 4, 2013.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

So I keep telling the wife that we can all fit in chopped and channeled A's and slammed pickups but she's starting to catch on to me:p

She has been wanting a four door 50's car for a long time (yes I said 4 door:eek:), something that we can just take the dog and kid and not feel crammed and just go for a cruise. I really wanted to try and find a 49-51 ford but haven't had any luck finding something that we could just drive. So up comes this 53 Customline, I decide to go look at it today and find out it is the original owner, the car has a recently rebuilt 239 flathead, 3 in the tree, it runs like a sewing machine, just perfect. 69 000 miles. Everything including the lighter and the clock still work and he even had the original manual and owners papers he signed in August 1953 when he bought the car. As a sweet bonus I found a cool boobie air freshner in the manual as well!!! So I bought it, I couldn't resist. My wife loves it and that's all that matters to me. Now I just need to teach her how to drive a 3 in the tree.

I know it's a four door but doesn't mean we can't do a few things to make it a little cooler (though some will never agree that a four door can be cool), I do.

The plans for the car at this point is to lower it, cut 1 1/2 coils and put in 4" blocks in the rear, a new set of wide whites and blast and paint the rims. A 2x2 intake. Eventually I'll french the headlights and shave a bunch of stuff but that won't be for a bit, I'll do the lowering and the tires in the next few weeks for her. Maybe do full air in the future and a new interior/paint job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

That car is sweet. I learned to drive in a 53 Ford (at the ripe old age of 12). I'm impressed....and regardless of what anyone says, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 4-door in my opinion. If you and wifey like it, who cares what anyone else thinks.:D

3. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

that's cooool guy...

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Congrats - don't forget safety stuff like seat belts, checking condition of brakes, etc.

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks guys.

Seatbelts are among the first things I will be putting in the old girl for the wife and kid. The car has had a safety and an appraisal done three weeks ago and checked out clear, however, I'll still be checking everything prior to using at as a daily driver. I put on about 100kms today just bombing around in it and it was running and stopping perfectly. For what I bought this car for I think I did o.k. Now it just needs some cool stuff and a good cleaning to get rid of the old musky basement smell, lol

6. couvy

couvy

Search for pictures of The Fantasian from the late 50's or early 60's. One of the best looking 4 door Fords ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thats a Sweet Looking 53... That should have the steel Headlight rings too.. Not the pot metal ones..

8. Everybody wants a 2 door. 4 doors are awesome. 2 of 3 in my fleet have 4 doors. I like it!!!

9. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I'm trying to decided on what a good tire size is for when I lower the Ford for my wife, I'm gonna whack 1 1/2 coils off the front and 4" blocks in the back.

I was thinking 670-15 wide whites would fit nicely after its lowered?

Anyone got any insight on what tire size would fit best on these cars when it's lowered to the above mentioned drops?

Cheers.

10. S.r.w

S.r.w

I have 205/60/15's on mine with a 4 '' drop in the back and 3" in the front

Attached Files:

11. Nice car,,nothing wrong with 52-54 Ford 4 doors,,great family cars. HRP

12. I dropped my '56 four-door 3" and I run Firestone 6.70-15 from Coker and I LOVE them! They ride amazingly!

13. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, this will make a good family cruiser, gonna drop it down next weekend for the wife, found a Fenton 2x2 with carbs for CHEAP so hoping to pick that up also. I'm sure I'll have more fun driving my coupe when its done this year but this 53 is really growing on me, its been a blast to drive a 3 in the tree again.

Cool, thanks. That is the size I'm planning on buying for her.

14. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yes that would be a good one to take inspiration from.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i call dibs on the grill if you go with a custom one....good looking car..keep those hood hinges lubed...

16. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Had a 53 2dr. Business Coupe for quite a while. V8 with overdrive. Yours looks great I'd be happy with it!
    Michael

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

18. Squablow

Squablow

x2 on the Aerostar coils, they ride great, especially compared to cut stock ones, I have them in my '52 Customline and I'll be replacing the hacked stock ones in my '53 with the same when I get back to it.

I have 4" blocks in my '53 and they're coming out as well, they're below the scrub line, making them dangerous, and it's an hour job to change a rear tire, in the shop with jacks, due to the lack of clearance. 3" blocks just barely clear scrub line clearance and if you jack the frame way up with a stock rim, you can still get the wheel out without a jack between the axle and frame or a hoist.

Car looks good, and the plan looks good, a lowering, dual exhaust/engine hop-up and some clean wheels and tires make everything look good, won't need anything more than that.

19. LostHope

LostHope

nice ride ! X2 on rear wheels being difficult to change due to very little clearance from the fender and wheel tub, i have 3" blocks and they(6-78 coker www) are still a bitch to remove, I found easiest way to remove mine is to unbolt wheel , slide brake drum of axle and tuck it into the unbolted wheel and finagle wheel out.....for a daily driver I wouldnt suggest going lower then 3" in the rear just in case you get a flat tire you can still change it on the side of the road.....

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I sold my 53 a while back. I6 with OD, it drove great and would cruise highwy speeds no problem.

3in blocks, jamco drop springs. 15" 710's

2nd shot was a photoshop idea. Never got to paint but lowered it. pict of the bracket needed to adjust the camber on a 53 when you drop the front.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  21. docmike

docmike

Man is that car clean looking!!! That would make a cool (summer) daily driver. I'm not a huge fan of radial WWW but for the wife and kids I think I'd make an exception. Maybe a set of flipper hubcaps, mild lowering, and a little engine hop up and then hit the road. Oh, and so what if it's a four door, it's old which makes it way cooler than any new car.

Doc

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, I actually read that thread a couple of days ago, great read. Got your PM and I'll definately be signing up for the group!

Thanks for the insight, I think I'll follow along and go with 3" blocks and the Aerostar coils. A set of lake pipes and side skirts is on my list as well:cool:

Man, your 53 is COOOOL, I bet that wasn't easy to sell. Thanks for the input.

Thanks, I've actually been driving the car in Canadian winter since I bought it. Took my first trip to work in her today, 65mph and she just hummed right along. The heater works surprinsingly well also. The only downside to my commute was the belts loosened and had to retighten everything. No big deal though, I think that is the first time this car has seen that speed for many years.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  23. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Picked up the Aerostar coils for the wifes 53 and made a set of 3" blocks for the rear. Stopped for Ubolts yesterday after work but they were closed. Managed to install the new coils in my driveway during an afternoon blizzard. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed the show. Ended up getting about two and a half inches of drop in the front, hoping it will end up around 3" once the coils settle. I'll be doing the rear this week when I get u-bolts tomorrow.

24. khead47

khead47

2nd dibs on the grille!

25. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got u-bolts and finished up lowering the rear. The front isn't quite as low as I'd like but I think it looks way better now. Not bad, less than 200 bucks for the Aerostar springs, u-bolts, homemade lowering blocks and some paint for the rims. I've ordered a set of wide whites but will wait until the spring/summer to put them on. Next on the list for the wife is a set of lake pipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

A '53 Ford More Door kustomized in the fifties. So to any of the four haters wake up!

Attached Files:

Garagekulture13 likes this.
  27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You will have fun with this one. Neat car!

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks good!!

29. I like it!.. very cool! :cool:

30. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Had to chime in.... Badd ride