Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggest vendor review/experience area

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by kngfisher, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Not sure if this exists and I just can't seem to quickly locate it but here goes

Can you add a vendor feedback area off the main forum listings so someone can quickly look up hambers exp with a particular vendor.

2. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Not a bad idea. I know there's something similar on the Garage Journal site. Not sure if I'd like to see it on the main board, but maybe a section on the classifieds or maybe the O'Dex. The only concern I would see with it, (and probably Ryan) is the shit storm it could develop since a lot of the vendors under review are also HAMB members. However it could also be an opportunity for them to learn about the opinion of their company and make changes for better or possibly worse. On the garage journal you probably won't see a Harbor Freight or Craftsmen member say anything about the reviews they get there, but you might see Baileigh Industrial or Miller Welding on there. I know Baileigh frequents the HAMB.

I guess either way it would be something to try. Worst case it ends up getting shutdown if it gets out of hand.

3. SpeedJunkee

SpeedJunkee
    Alliance Vendor

That is what The H.A.M.B. O'Dex section is, plus check out the Alliance Vendors.

4. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

O. Dex entries must be started by the vendor correct? What about starting vendor reviews that are not started by the vendor so folks here can either state their experience and/or warn other to avoid

5. Ain't going to happen unless Ryan want's it. HRP

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

All the comments in the hamOdex are suppose to be from customers / customer feed back.
    You may have looked at one of the few that’s constantly bumped w new photos instead of being edited.

As far as the other venders …. it’s a good bet that if they sucked they wouldn’t be here on the list.

7. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

But that is what I am talking about. Folks all the time use vendors that are not on the o'dex either because none of them are exactly what they are looking for or can't use them because they are not local to them. I there a place to say a forum member has used a vendor not on the o'dex and had either a great exp or got ripped off and want to make sure others don't make the same mistake. Why wait for that vendor to list themselves on the o'dex before feedback is allowed to be given.

8. Ryan's sticky even says all replies are for feedback only but some choose to use it more like a classified
    As far as not being in the Hamb O Dex.. You have to wonder what some are trying to hide, I know of one in my field that can't put an add there because he would have more bad feedback than good

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Like I said … and I don’t speak for Ryan
    From being here many years and watching I feel I can say with some certainty …. Ryan don’t let dishonest people stay here long.
    I wouldn’t worry about it.

It would be nice if the hambOdex doesn’t turn into a bttt competition like the classifieds did.
    All the OP’s there should start using the EDIT button to update there ad‘s.

10. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

all hambers posting a ad there must have a 100 post count. everyone else can only leave feedback good or bad there, nothing else is allowed. the hamb 0 dex is only as good as hambers make it with services and feedback.

all dex post are approved by me or ryan before they post up.

if anyone has any questions please pm me anytime.

11. FordFairlane55

FordFairlane55
    from Florida

I agree, (1) there should be a place to post your experience info about a vendor that is not included in the O dex for the benefit of other Hambers and also, (2) you should not have to post a HI or something on the forum 100 times before you can comment on a O dex vendor.

Given the level of censorship of free speech on this site, the utility to help others from being ripped off or finding a quality vendor is sadly limited.

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Possibly reading more carefully before commenting would result in less censorship
    Clearly Bob said to place a ad not make a comment / leave feedback

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think you need to go back and read Flat Top Bob's post again as you clearly don't understand how the HAMBODEX works.

That being said -

Your first post was Spamming Steve Schmidt Racing Engines which Ryan deleted.

Your second post was to introduce yourself

Your third post was to complain about a level of censorship.

The only censorship are posts that do not follow what this Web site is about and that is "Traditional Hot Rod and Custom cars from the 30's through early 60's era.

Thanks for your suggestion but perhaps the HAMB is not for you.

14. FordFairlane55

FordFairlane55
    from Florida

Corncobcoupe,

Lets clarify.

This was not my first post. I have been posting on the HAMB and associated sites since joining in October. In each post I have either tried to help another Hamber or I have asked for help.

My post about Schmidt was not intended as spam. I wanted to share my recent experience with the vendor. I drove from Florida to Indiana to visit the vendor. I have never used the vendor before and have no friends, relatives, or financial interest in the vendor. I believe others could benefit from my experience. However the post was arbitrarily deleted and the deletion notice to me did not say why. It did include general language that you needed to introduce yourself before posting. Therefore, I proceeded to do so.

Just the courtesy of a comment as to why the deletion would have been nice.

This most recent comment was to agree with the post originator.
    If the website made it easy, the question would not be coming up - and concurred in by others.
    And if a vendor is not in the HAMBODEX, do I need 100 posts before I can add something? And if use of the search engine finds nothing, is there a function to share my experience for the benefit of all Hambers (and others do the same)?

I have more than $50k in one car (pictured) and will far exceed that on the latest toy I am building. I still have a lot of parts and services to buy. Many will likely come from out-of-state vendors with whom I have no experience. I had hoped to draw on the experiences of others on this web site before deciding on placing some orders, and to share my experiences.

Although my post here was intended as a reply to Flat-Top Bob, a description of how to post experience with a vendor that is not in the O'dex or found with the search engine from either of you would be appreciated.

Thank you for the reply.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

FordFairlane55

1. You have four total posts with the Racing engines link deleted by Ryan.
    Steve Schmidt racing engines are not HAMB "Traditional" Era.

2. the HAMBODEX are for "Approved" HAMB suppliers and service businesses only.

3. Any HAMB member can post their feedback on The HAMBODEX suppliers Ad.

4. 100 Post count is to prove the vendor is HAMB material and not a ONE SHOT Spammer

5. Sure a HAMB member can post on the main Hokey Ass Message Board they found a HAMB "Traditional" product that was beneficial and that other HAMB members might use BUT your Steve Schmidt racing engines post is not and a mute post because it is not HAMB traditional ERA anyway so it got deleted.

6. If you have a lot more products to buy, scan through all of the HAMBODEX suppliers and buy product from them and you can leave your feelback.

7. ALSO - OR - Become a Alliance Member http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=175
    And you have some Great Discounts from a list of great companies.

8. Suggest you take some time to look the HAMB over and understand how it works.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  16. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

fng's----new guys

it's like this--- you are new here and have only a few post under your belt. you start off by bashing people and saying stuff, might be true or might not--- we don't know ya!

imagine this---you have a new neighbor move in and he builds a new toy shop and one day you stop by and walk right in and start bashing a shop down the street. he does not know you and we do not either. bet you would make a great impression on him..

enjoy the hamb and let us get to know ya

17. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

This got out of hand quick. My intent was to ask a question as to gain a better understanding as to how / where to post vendor exp feedback that had not or was not already started not to start a controversy.

18. daddio211

daddio211

Can I add number 9 please? Okay, here goes...

9. Nobody cares how much you spent on your car.

Sorry Cob. :) ...okay, not really.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.