Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Tires - Is it just me??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatcrazy, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

"Inferior technology" HUH?? Since I've been driving & wrenching on cars [since 1962] very seldom have I run into "bad tires" bias-ply ,bias-belted ,or radials. This includes at least a dozen of my own vehicles [ I've never sold anything w/ less than 150K miles on it] plus working on customers vehicles for 15 years while earning a living wrenching ! If coker is having all these problems, I'm surprised they're still in business!!!

I call b.s. on many of the copycat "whiner" posts !!

dave

2. slammed

slammed

Again, dramatization of past comments are useless. Input of past customers are needed here.

3. That is correct.

Physical out of round can be checked with a dial indicator or tire runout gauge, but only reads what the ASSEMBLY is. A flat spotted, cupped out, irregularly worn, six sided POS tire can be spin balanced, but will still have a ride disturbance (duh).

The road force balancer loads the tire, changing a relatively hard, round object into one with a flat side that is constantly changing (out of round). As it better duplicates the condition of the tire in service, it is a step forward from the multi plane spin balancer, just as the spin balancer was to the bubble balancer.

But let's face reality: bias tires are great for the period perfect car, but will give period perfect results. Modern radial ties, solely by construction, will ride better, steer easier, give higher mileage, and offer better penetration protection. They just don't look "period". PERIOD.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I think the Excelsiors look good,except for the big radial lettering on them

5. sevenfootadam

sevenfootadam
    from fresno ca

its called old technology their bias ply tires if you want to be a candy ass buy radials !

6. Just what we need here, right?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. 5window

5window

You can't punctuate a sentence and you've got nothing to add to the discussion; you don't even have a point to make. There are clearly some folks who have had to work very hard to get their bias ply tires to work. The discussion is about why this may be so. The decision others have made,to go with radial tires, does not make them candy-asses, it represents a different decision, not necessarily an incorrect one.

Mark Twain said," "It is better to have people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

8. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

clown!

9. Read posts 156 and 157. This guy knows what he is talking about. Just kidding (LOL). If you have big and little's and the speedometer shows 70 mph. This speed is measured at the back tires. The little front tires are probably rotating at 100mph. I have not seen a spin balance machine locally that will balance tires up to 100 mph.

Let me know what you think! I have not learned a lot from this thread except a lot of people think it is better to curse the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

I will still buy Coker bias tires because I have had no problems. I have 5.5x16 and 7.00x16 on my 39 Ford. They are bias. The wheels are wide fives. I did not get them balanced because nobody had a on car balancing system. They run perfectly and handle fine.

They are Firestones and I am looking good.

10. Heeheehee-- you are also tooooooo funny.:D

11. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Nailed it

12. rockfish

rockfish

You've really got to get off the 70 mph versus the 100 mph comment. It total nonsense. All 4 tires are traveling at 70 mph. The fronts, which have a smaller circumference, will see a higher number of revolutions per minute relative to the rears but will still be traveling at 70 mph.
    You also don't need to spin balance the tires at 100 mph. Balancing at a lower speed is fine. Any imbalance will often be more NOTICEABLE at higher speeds, but balancing at lower speeds is obviously the accepted method. Having a load applied (road force) during balancing is much more important than increasing the speed during balancing. That's all.:eek:

p.s. I cannot comment on your looks without you first posting a picture.:D

13. Congratulations......... You found the bottom line!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Cruiser

Cruiser

Originally Posted by flynbrian48 [​IMG]
    Really? Ten pages of bashing Coker tires? There's a reason bias ply tires aren't the norm, it's not the brand name on them. If you're gonna run bias plys, get used to cold "thump", death wobble if everything isn't spot on, all the things your Grand-dad suffered with running bias plys...

Brian

Ditto - This is the bottom line. :D

CRUISER :cool:

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Please, somebody close this thread.. These people are a.. holes......

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

so your front tires get to where ever you are going to, a few minuets before the rest of the car gets there? really?

wow how cool:rolleyes:

17. supervert

supervert

i have a appointment on tuesday to have mine mounted. the guy that owns the place has said no problem, he mounts them all the time and even has them "stones" on a couple of his own. he also told me that he has had some that didnt need weights at all.
    his method was

mount
    spin balance to check runout
    remount and repeat to get the best match
    drive for a wile to them good and warm
    balance on the car

he said this is the way that his dad did it and he still does it and very rarely has and issues getting them to roll round

he also told me that the road force balancer works well, but the best way for bias was the on the car balancer.

18. Unless you're going in reverse then the fronts get there first.:eek:
    LOL
    -Pat

19. I remember when they made polar grip tires for winter driving. The service station use to offer tractonizing tires. They had a machine with two rollers. The rollers had sharp pins that looked like nails. The rollers with the nails were mounted on a steel frame. They would set the rear tires between the two rollers and spin the tires with the engine. This would roughen up the surface of tread for better traction. There would be a pile of rubber on the floor after this procedure was finished. I think Good Year was painted on the tractionizer. This was a common practice in the late fifties and early sixties. It was better than putting chains on the tires.

Again, The little tires in front are spinning a lot faster than the big tires in back.This high speed spin has to distort the tires. I just talked to the local tire man and he said his computer balancing machine may spin the tires up to 30 mph..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

somebody... please make it stop!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, ok, ok...