Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build your own Trailer for HAMB friendly auto haul

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1937 Fordor, Jan 3, 2013.

1. I searched the forum a few times for this topic and asked about it but I can't find a thread about building your own Trailer for hauling a HAMB friendly automobile. I was thinking of building my own trailer.

Has anybody built their own trailer for hauling old cars?

Is it cheaper and less of a hassle (DMV -wise) to just buy a used one from somebody?

Are there any plans out there?

Not ready to do it now but it is on my radar for the future; I will be needing a trailer. Thanks.

T

2. neverwinter

neverwinter

uhaul - 4 wheel dolly is $65 plus $10 for insurance. use it when you need it, drop it off when done. ive used them at least a half dozen times. while it may not be cost effevctive as owning one i dont have an acre to store it either.

3. Threads are here some where. I built a 18.5 flatbed for hauling cars and lumber out of a old travel trailer ... it fits my needs perfect but if you are just after a car hauler then your best bet is find a used one .... even without the cost of the travel trailer, I have about 1000 bux in mine and alot of labor.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i usally rent one. $50 a day only need it about 4 times a year. cheaper than buying one and lic . plus always has new tires and working lights. depends on how much you need it.
    if you own one everybody wants to borrow it. always comes back broken.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fastcar1953 is right--folks want to always borrow them then break things and lose tie downs, etc. Neighbor and I own two--one an open trailer and a 20 foot enclosed--don't really use them enough to justify but come in handy when you need them. We have really backed off from loaning them out-too many problems. If we didn't have these already, we would probably just rent one when needed.

6. 73RR

73RR

Rentals are not always well cared for...consider who uses them.
    If you build one it will be exactly as you want it to be and if you are a qualified fabricator then you will be confident of its quality.
    I own several and I do not, ever, 'loan' them out to anyone. Too much liability.
    The big question is whether or not you have space to park when not being used.
    Plans are available from many sources including ebay, and of course you have options as to tilting, beaver tail and flat w/ramps.

7. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I have never loaned a trailer in my life and won't start now.

That said, I build a few specialty trailers now and then to make a little money (mainly hay hauling trailers). I have a full jobbers account set up at a local supply house. I'm lucky because a Quality Trailer distributing center is local to me. Even getting a killer discount (nearly 50 percent off normal price), there is very little profit in trailers. The places like Big Tex and PJ will sell you a car trailer for not much more than you're gonna invest in materials. Even with shop rate on the axles and stuff and shop rate at the steel yard, I might could make 3 or 4 hundred on one if I built it myself. With the labor involved in small time or single builds, it's a losing deal to build one. The big places have jigs and streamlined production to knock them out in a fraction of the time an average guy would take to build one. That's why the only trailer I bother to build anymore is something special that the big guys don't sell a million of every year.

8. My Dad and I bought a brand new one about 6 years ago from Fox Trailers near us. 18', tilt deck, spare tire, removable drivers side fender, extra D rings...total after tax and license was about 3k. We split it, so around 1500.00 each. Very nice trailer, cost about 20 bucks a year to license.

[​IMG]

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Check Craig's List in your area for a used one.
    Be sure it has 4 wheel brakes, and is rated for what you intend to carry on it.
    I bought a 5 year old, but never used or registered Texas Rollback a few years ago. I do not lend it out, but for gas costs I will haul a car for a friend locally.
    Best investment I have made other than a new truck to pull it.
    You can build your own, but good used trailers are always out there.
    Good Luck! KK

10. I built mine in 1983 to haul my rally cars. Since then it has hauled everything from my Ranger Desert Race Truck to 32 Fords to the F-1 truck I built for Custom Classic trucks magazine. It has over 100,000 mile son it now and other than tires and wheel bearing the only thing I ever had to replace was one spindle warn one of my guys hit a center island doing about 45 with a race car on it.
    I bought the axles, springs and shackles from Dico (now called Mighty Movers) http://mightymovertrailers.com/
    It is a tilt bed so that I can put even the lowest of cars on it. I kept the deck height reasonably low so it tows good. It only weighs about 900 lbs which is really light for a trailer like this. as long as it is strong enough for what you are putting on it, there is no reason for these overbuilt 2,000 lb. trailers that most companies sell. this one can easily be towed by a Ford Ranger V6 with a coupe or Roadster on it!
    If interested I can take some pictures of it to post later.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I agree, renting is the best deal. It is cheaper to buy a new one than to build one, so I was told by a couple of friends who built their own, they wound up spending more than if they just bought a trailer ready to go and of course, all their time.

A good used one might be a good deal if you can find one that is not beat to death, bent, and worn out. If it needs new tires, brakes, hitch, lights, and a paint job you might as well buy a new one.

But again, unless you are using it once a month or oftener, it is cheaper to rent.

Even cheaper is to join the auto club and just pick up the phone when you need something moved. If you don't have to call on them more than 2 or 3 times a year it's well worth the membership fee. If you call them too often they might get snotty and cancel you but for most of us that's not a problem.

12. Look at your local CL for late model - low use trailer(s)

Take someone with you who knows what to look for
    with regard to wear and condition.

Jim

13. Thanks all. Been thinking about it. It would be a fun project but I probably will buy a used one and use the time more constructively.

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If you buy a used one think about a rollback style. Also you might want to check dealers in your area for trade ins. I bought a used Kwik-Load rollback a few months ago. Bought it from a Kwik-Load dealer who took it in on trade. They completely went through it, brakes, bearings and any repairs needed. Rollbacks make for easy one man loading operation with ground clearance of the car being loaded no problem. Makes loading ramps obsolete.

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I have to disagree with those who say to rent. I bought mine second hand in 2001 for like $750 when I was moving across country. it was cheaper than the u-haul rental (that how I convinced my young wife it was a good idea). while it does occupy some real estate when not in use, I have hauled more cars than I can count(ranging from a 59 cad coupe to a triumph spitfire that fell through the rotten floor boards a few years back--that's been replaced with new salt treated lumber) and made 4 major interstate moves with it.

I do think you'd be better off to shop for a used trailer unless you just WANT to build one.

16. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I never considered renting. A lot of times when you need a trailer, you need it right then.

A buddy calls stranded....

A one owner deuce on Craigslist for 100 dollars....

Some times you need to hook and go without having to run around and arrange a rental.

17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I built my trailer not to save money, but to build it how I wanted it. I could have bought an "off the shelf" trailer and saved a bunch. Instead I spent a little more - added some sweat equity and got something that in the end had all the features I needed/wanted.

18. I rented a few times and as others have said it was a lot of hassle. In the end I scored a super nice T&E Race transporter on CL that was barely used, came with aluminum solid floor, engine hoist, cabinets etc - yes it was 10 years old but it was a LOT better built than any new enclosed trailer from people like Haulmaster etc for a cheaper price!

I store mine at a local RV park for $45 a month - operate it as a garage for one of my projects as well.

Yes I only use it a few times a year, but worth every cent i paid for it.