Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fabrication Noob for a little advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly53, Jan 4, 2013.

1. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I'm swapping my engine out of my 53 chevy 210 deluxe and with the new engine (1957 blue flame) its seems to be a whole new beast..different mounts..different transmisssion the engines longer..so I was told by an old guy to hammer the firewall back to gain the 1" of clearnce I need..would you litteraly hammer ir back or cut it out and push it back under the wiper cowl....its a driver not a shower

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

wait shouldnt the 235 swap right in? have i been misinformed this whole time?

3. 5559

from tn

engines are the same--waterpump is longer--set the engine in the stock location & space the radiator forward

4. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

you can also buy the short shaft waterpump and it should fit. might be a tight squeeze but it worked for me

5. Step away from the hammer please ! ;)

6. different mounts? is it a truck engine? i've swapped engines in a 53, but i don't remember any firewall issues.

7. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

He might be talking about the side engine mounts versus the front engine mount. im not 100 percent on if the 216 mounting gear will fit the 235. you could always find one with the front mount though. they are a dime a dozen.

8. Rok 51

Rok 51

I put a '59 blue flame and powerglide in my aussie 51 chev sedan over 15 years ago.
    Use a short v8 pulley on the waterpump and shorten the shaft. Drill some holes in the front engine bracket to match the original front mounts. Use the side mounts at the back of the engine as well. I also made a slight modification to the rear auto. mount on the chassis, moving it back slightly to suit.
    Rok.

9. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Its a 57 blue flame the mounts are torwards the front of the engine where as the 53 was more in the center ..I never thought to use a short pump and ill definitely look into that! I'm also running three on the tree and have both a long and short shaft trans..the shortshaft however doesn't have mounts for the crossmember but same bellhousing mounts which I believe all 3spds do (don't quote me) I appreciate the feedback very much so thanks a lot guys!

10. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Check Langdons or Patricks for a short shaft water pump. Ive been told its easier to just locate a 235 with side mounts which i believe were in 52 to 54. The 53 poweglide had hydraulic lifters and full pressure oiling, everything after that had full pressure oiling....

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/articles.html