Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brought home a 1929? Essex 3 window coupe PICS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onelowponcho, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ratster

ratster

yeah,, i bought all the stuff he had. i'd like to find a cowl for a 27

2. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

No fancy wood trim around the cluster, unless it rotted out.
    [​IMG]
    @ the bottom it says pattened in canada 1926-1927.
    [​IMG]
    This is about the only wood left in the car (it's gone now). Check out whats left of an antique window shade
    [​IMG]

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Well, if you can tell me whether or not mine is a 27 FOR SURE, I might be willing to give mine up at some point ... got some crazy ass plans. There are too many "too far gone" parts on the car for me not to feel bad about hacking it up and making it the way I want it to be.

That speedo cluster looks older than 29. If memory serves, 29 was wider and shorter and had pine cones and boughs embossed all round where the gauges go.
    Guy down the road from me I met this fall has a 4 door sedan 29 sunk into the Maine woods about halfway up the doors. It still had the face of the gauge cluster in it and we were talking money when the snow flew. Got to wait until spring now.

4. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

Your car is way nicer than mine, i've got to do patch panels about 5" up on my doors and cowl, The 1/4s were tide in a knot and didn't rust too bad. We beat them out over the last three evenings and they look ok. Started beatin the roof out the last two nights, got to get the body mounted b/f i can go much farther.

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Wow! That's is a great score. I don't know of any place that sells the patch panels buy if I see something I'll let you know. That's going to be a great hot rod...love the bitchin suicide doors. Keep us posted on this and it would be very much appreciated. It's different and that'll peek everyones attention. Good luck with it. Da' Aman. Next!

6. All you fellers need to do some searching. There was an Essex thread with lots of photos about 5 months ago. The piano hinges were used through 1931 on all Hudson & Essex bodies.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

HaHa ... I don't know about nicer, just opposite. If we combined the top of your car with the bottom of mine, we'd have one straight soild car to work with. The roof and cowl of mine are toast whereas the floor and bottoms are in great shape. I think mine spent decades sitting on the roof. Love the stock suicide doors though and will have a lot more wiggle room than an A coupe and that's important for me.
    Is your custom T frame kicked up in the rear?

8. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I thought yours looked rusty @ the top but couldn't tell for sure. Yours looks fixable for sure though. The frame has a 10" kick i think

9. 29SX276

29SX276

Onelowponcho; Congratulations on a fine score! Welcome to the Essex world ;they're a great car. Yours appears to be a 27 or 28 from what I can see of the belt line.Get the serial number and find out for sure what the year is by getting on the Essex super six web site. I'm pretty sure yours is not a 29 as the rear wood is way different than what's in my 29.
    you have a damn nice car there;do you have all the garnish mouldings as they can be a bitch to find.
    Here's a couple of shots of my chopped 29 coupe.

10. essexrat

essexrat

Your probably right...not a 29. The gauge cluster is way to small....whatever the case awesome find. Here are two of my Essex clusters first ones a 29 and I believe the second is a 28...

Attached Files:

11. I have a pair of fenders that look like the Essex one shown earlier in the thread. (they are for sale) Also here is a shot of the 31 Hudson I have. Not a suicide but has the piano hinge.

Attached Files:

12. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

i think this is a hudson but unshure anyone know???? the only tag on it is on the fire wall pat pending 1926-1927 thats it. it is now my yard art for a while need a driver door for it.

Attached Files:

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have a 29 essex title if anybody needs one...............

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

I'll check in my local yard where that 29 4-door is to see if there is a 26/27/28 sedan laying around to see if I can find you a door. Wont be until Spring though.

15. ratster

ratster

looks to be a 28-9 it has the beltline on the cowl and 27 does not

16. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I think it's a '28. I need to order a title asap, going with 1928

17. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Nice score on your Hudson! I got my 30 Hudson a few years ago and the trunk lid was missing on it too. Ive seen a few hudsons in those years and they all seem to be missing the trunk lid...i've done a ton of research and all i could find for body parts were some f-glass fenders so i've had to make the parts i was missing. Right in the middle of making my trunklid and its coming along pretty good. I'm using 3/4 inch thin wall tubing for the frame(bends really nice if you take your time)and gonna make a skin for it when its done. Good luck with yours!

18. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

It is a 27. Only year for that dash cluster from my research. Mine also had sucide doors with the long piano higes and a beltline on the cowl.

19. mnredneck68

mnredneck68
    from Minnesota

What are you asking for the title?

20. Demono

Demono

I am looking for an Essex title. I think my Essex coupe is a 1929, not sure. I can use most any year for a coupe.

21. hudson48

hudson48

Maybe a 27 Essex which was the cheaper priced c ar in the Hudson range.
    I had a hot rodded 27 4 door sedan back in the 80's and they had the piano hinges on the doors and the 3 rivets/bolts up on the windshield pillar like the one in the photos.

Attached Files:

22. flavored

flavored
    from kindersley

Hi there.just bought a 29 essex 5 window..im hopeing .noticed an old post here and was wondering if and what you have for parts kicking around...wayne in kindersley sk

23. clamdgr41

clamdgr41
    from maine

just dragged home a 1926 essex coach a week ago it has suiside doors also has no rust wood still in great shape a shame to rod it but going to lol

24. clamdgr41

clamdgr41
    from maine

seach essex it should come up with pictures 1926 awsome shape thanks

25. flavored

flavored
    from kindersley

hi guys
    heres a few photos of a 29 i bought late in the fall,im looking for any interior pics from 28-30 something to go by if i come across stuff that fit a 2 door ill let you know....congrats on the find

Attached Files:

26. flavored

flavored
    from kindersley

what you gonna do with the interior if your customizing that 26 coach?

27. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Cool find, but I think it's a '30 or 31, not a '29. Essex bodies were almost identical from '27 thru '29 and they all had suicide doors.

28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I had a 28-29 3 window also. Alot of cool things about those cars. I gave mine a 4" chop. Looked right to me. I have a few pics in my Essex album if your interested. Congrats

29. kustom_kreep

kustom_kreep

Congrats I have a 29 four door . just gathering parts right now what do most of you use for a radiator shell if you cant find Essex.
    I would love a 32 Essex shell but it has evaded my check book for now.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  30. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I'm running a '30 Chevy rad shell that I adapted some stock Essex shutters into.