Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ultimate sleeper! (Repost with Ryan's approval)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davey_shumard, Jan 3, 2013.

1. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

Looking for a HAMB FRIENDLY 1965 or older 2 door post car, for a sleeper. Please stay on topic!! I recently, through trade, came into a very healthy sbc. I suppose that puts me in a position to need a chassis. I really want a sneaky pete, unsuspected car for this project. I dont want the typical suspects, i need something that looks undoubtedly slow, that is capable of being deceptively fast!

Thanks again Ryan for allowing the repost!:D

2. Studebaker Lark

Better yet a Lark pickup.

3. If you didn't already have the SBC, I'd say Valiant...Wagon. Maybe a Nova Sedan or Wagon? How about a Rambler or later Studebaker wagon.

4. Beau

Beau

Plymouth Valiant.

5. ken bogren

ken bogren

1962 Rambler Classic 2 door sedan.

Even better, the 1962 Rambler Ambassador 2 door sedan.

Good luck finding one.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Lark. The last ones came with SBC's.

7. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

There's a great priced Buick Skylark ('64 I think) on Columbus Ohio's Craigs List.

It would make a perfect sleeper and they'll go $500 UNDER asking price.

It even has original '64 rally wheels on it.

good luck

chuck

8. I like the Lark idea there still around and can be bought fair a guy in town has one with a 500 cad mill and will run real hard.

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

10. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

It's already been mentioned so I'll just throw a picture up here. Look at that beautifully sweeping B-pillar but it still looks slower than the Slowsky family!

[​IMG]

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Whatever car you get, there are some elements that help create the sleeper image. Basically, you want it to look and sound like Grandma's car, but still be able to hook and move like a bat out of hell. Here are some things I would do:

1) Four doors or wagons are the best for the job, especially wagons (weight transfer/traction) A roof rack is icing on the cake.

2) A full framed car is the easiest to swap a bigger engine and driveline into.

3) Dull paint job.

4) Blackwall tires with something like drag radials on the back with the lettering not prominent.

5) Dog dish hubcaps on all four wheels.

6) Quiet, yet unrestricted exhaust system, with one tail pipe out the back and one hidden underneath, so it looks like single exhaust.

7) AAA bumper stickers and some of those stick figures in the back window with Dad, Mom, 4 or 5 kids, and a few dogs and cats displayed. A bumper sticker that says "I love my Yorkie" will complete the image.

8) A NOS system with a steath purge location.

9) Some super deep gears, like 4:88's, because you don't want to be running at 140 on the street, you just want enough launch to put lengths on the guy in the next lane and then you can get out of it.

10) Dirt. Do not wash the car often.

11) Lighten the car. Find 1,000 places to remove one pound each. Eliminate non essentials like heater, ac, wipers, back seat, etc.

Don

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  12. I have 2 rambler american 2door late 50's round bodys that you could pick from, or both if you want. PM me if interested.

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

1960 Datsun unibody pickup....always wanted to build one?

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My Lark. Came with a 170 inch 6. Left with a 383 SBC. Fooled lots of BMW drivers. But they are pretty stupid anyway.

Attached Files:

15. TinShed

TinShed

16. badshifter

badshifter

17. Willy_P

Willy_P

18. badshifter

badshifter

How about a Falcon? All the subframe connectors and go fast goodies available cheap, they are real light, and usually (no offense) thought of as the wifes/girlfriends car.

19. This is my weapon of choice, although mine doesn't look anywhere near stock anymore...
    [​IMG]

20. blue57ford

blue57ford

As mentioned prior, a station wagon is always a good candidate. A mid 50's caddy would be different but they're pretty hefty. Don't overlook a truck. Seeing mention of a Datsun reminded me of a time about 17-18 years ago an idea my dad toyed with. He had a 396 and 4 speed out of 65 Caprice and there was a 64 or 65 Mercedes in the local classifieds dirt cheap. Thought about getting it and sticking the 396 in it but it never came to be.

21. ...spot on! .... and bumper guards and gas filler door guard

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Many years ago,a friend had a corvair with a custom chassis with a mid engine set up.327 with an automatic tranny.Made a pretty good sleeper.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. gwarren007

gwarren007

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on Kansas City craigslist Cars & Trucks For Sale by Owner: 64 Mercury Comet 4 Dr/289 -
    $1250 and 1951 Crosley Station Wagon - $2000. also, check towing company lots for oddball rides that they have For Sale.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Checker Taxi........

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some great ideas here. I vote Valiant or Lark . . . just didn't get any more lame than that in the '60s unless it was some foreign POS.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thinking Skip!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  28. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

Great Pointers! Thats the kinda info i was after for the sneaky pete side of the build!

Can you even jam a sbc into one of those little things?!?!

I really like this idea. Is this a full frame car already?

29. Gotta go with Don on this one and as the jalopy joker pointed out, that '64 Mercury is very unsuspecting. I believe that to the toughest point to genuinely pull it off. And that platform should do the job given the massage, and chassis parts are readily avaliable.