Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 2013.! New start on the shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by don daddyo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. don daddyo

don daddyo

It's time to roll my sleeves & get to work,as I try to rebuild the 51 Ford,
    I've already introduce myself , but did not post on this forum often, so here we go...

I got this shoebox 2 years ago for a fair price, including the body, a new frame with full of new stuff and a lot more, my avatar to prove ... The things the car was already in pieces ,and the owner couldn't finish it...

So with the stuffs and parts I have, I'm starting to work on it for the 3rd or more times. Her's a couple of pics on how it look now...[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img2972ir.jpg/][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Great start! Those are killer cars.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Victoria's are alright I guess?

4. don daddyo

don daddyo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's how it look now! I will need some help on doing and choosing the right stuff... I will post some more later...!!!

5. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Looking good so far it's alot of work but man it will be worth it when it's finished...

6. don daddyo

don daddyo

As I go ,all brakes are mostly done the right way and the good stuff,I 'm think of going r&p chevrolet cavalier 88-89 ,just wonder what you guys think about (Fatman stuffs )also searching for a complete wiring kit, WHO's best?

7. don daddyo

don daddyo

Thank's 76ironhead, I don't see too much work here...but a whole lot a fun , I love this shit...I'll be back soon!!!

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

.....says the guy with the nicest one built in 25 yrs.....

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That looks like a good start.So,the disc brake conversion is from fatman?
    I need to find a conversion kit that works with the dropped uprights..

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Call Alex Gambino...he hooked me up.

11. don daddyo

don daddyo

I did ask question about Fatman,cause the dropped uprights and disc brakes brackets ,I already have in the kit are from them. I found that JAMCO have the kit for it and look easier to install with there one piece bracket, compare to Fatman kit conversion .Just wonder if they feel right on and do the same job on the street.Also need to see about the rack&pinion from a 88-89 cavalier done the right way, please with pics if possible . I heard that does a good job ,but wonder about you guy...I'll send some pictures soon Thank!!!

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

use the original steering box? i have jamco uprights
    with fatman disc kit from alex.

13. I'm going with a r n p cavalier. Made my own bkts. Haven't drivin it yet and i know i lost some turning radius but it's better than the see saw steering going down a straight road. We'll see how this washes. Pics in my build thread if you want to look.
    Nice project by the way.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524648

14. studeboy

studeboy

Heres a link to the Street Rodder article that shows the R&P install. If you look close and have decent fab skills you could make the mounts yourself LOTS cheaper than Fatman. The biggest part is the inner tie rod point to avoid bumpsteer. When the time comes I'm considering this myself.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0902sr_1949_1951_ford_steering_motor_mounts/

Nice start to your build to BTW.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Royalshifter!
    I think Jamco has good products,but you just have to be really patient with their customer service.

17. Not saying your choice in steering is a bad choice but I wonder why more guys don't reuse the original parts. When I built my 49 coupe, I lowered the front by switching and flipping my spindle uprights..had to heat them to get my camber back to specs and had to heat and bend the steering arms down to clear everything...was a great move because that also effectively shortened them, making the steering a lot faster.
    Granted, I began with nice, low mileage parts.
    I incorporated a mid 70s trans-am/Z-28 stabilizer bar also..it made the car corner flat and the altered steering arms made it corner quick. I used radial tires on the car to help with steering effort [195s] and after I had the car aligned, it was a joy to drive with the original steering box..
    BTW, I used grade 8 bolts to mount that old steering box as the old grade 5s were famous for breaking. [my car had one broken bolt] But damn, they drove those cars at 70 MPH on washboard gravel roads with hard bias ply tires here in the midwest...no wonder they broke steering box bolts!
    This was just my personal experience with my car...loved the way it handled and drove.

Attached Files:

18. I would search Jamco on here before you order anything from them!!

19. don daddyo

don daddyo

Thank guy's

Royalshifter ! the problem is ,I don't have the original steering box, but already have the r&p...

Thank ,TEDLEY..., I might do the same thing, as I will check on your build thread...

STUDEBOY, already got that one, thank's again

FINNRODDER, I've heard a lot about JAMCO service. since I got every thing in hand , I will go for this .By the way ,some pics about these uprights & disc brake brackets

Rocky ,just saying that I will go for the r&p, cause that's what I have now... by the way love your 49 shoebox , and the engine fit right there, mine will be a 351 w- c4 or c7...hope it fit like that!

20. don daddyo

don daddyo

Here's some more pics of my 51...[​IMG]

U
    ploaded with ImageShack.us
    dashboard with the spaguetti wiring of the previous owner
    [​IMG]

some better and bigger view
    [​IMG]

The body does look just right , just need some little tlc...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might need a little more attention ,as the nut greaser will probably be on the way.check that out...

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I feel your pain.....gut that mutha and start fresh? I wish my Victoria was that nice when I started?

22. don daddyo

don daddyo

Thank's man ,I appreciate your comment...

23. Eric H

Eric H