Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to chop a 1949 1950 1951 Mercury Top Merc DVD 4 Hours, Seen It?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUSSEY, Nov 12, 2012.

1. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

It says not professionaly produced, so it is about how someone did thiers. For the price how can you go wrong, there has to be $25.00 worth of information therein.

3. 40grit

40grit

I would strongly suggest you spring for Tommy Steadman's vidio on how to chop the Merc. I purchased them 15 years ago and they are excellent. They cover every thing from bracing the car, cutting the top, cutting down the vent windows, rebuilding the garnish moldings, to reshaping the stainless trim. He is truly an expert on the Mercs. Considering the hours you will spend doing this only the best training vidio is good enough.... Good luck to you.

John L

4. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Cool, I'll check it out. I wasn't looking for anything Merc specific but thought some lessons learned from it would be usefull in any project.

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I went ahead with it, it did automatically accept a lower offer of $15. If it's really 4 hrs how can you go wrong.

6. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

hehe...vidio is spelled video... but whos counting...;-)

7. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

If you’re going to start correcting people then I’m going to have to correct you. If you’re going to show some hot chick bent over a hotrod in your avatar then it’s only common courtesy to put said picture, and additional, in an album on your public profile so the rest of us can appreciate it in a larger view.

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

You can get the Tommy Steadman DVD at Night Prowlers. One for chopping a 49-50 Mercury coupe, another for chopping a four door. I think he discusses a 51 rear window, but its a 50 that's chopped in the coupe DVD. A lot of good info.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. 40grit

40grit

LOL.....One person for sure........;)

11. redeyewelder

redeyewelder
    from ten

haha,, will do ;-)

12. bartezz

bartezz

Thanx for the heads up, got it for $15 as well..

13. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

FYI...The instructional aspect to the DVD was good, very long and detailed. However, the video quality was really poor. Probably shot years ago on tape and converted. You can't get a whole lot for $15 these days anyways so I still found it money worth spent.

14. low merc51

low merc51

I have chopped two 51 merc's using the Tommy Steadman version and used a 51 rear window both turned out great !!! Mine is a old VHS would like to get it on disk for later ..

15. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Where might a guy go to acquire one of these? Gave Google the ol' college try but no luck. Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

eBay link in the first post...seller maxtshirts...only a couple left or try contacting night prowlers

17. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

I'm a dipshit. Thanks for not busting my balls. Just bought it. There is only one left now

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. I have the Gene Winfield "How to chop a Merc" with autograph. bought it 20 years ago. 50-51 Merc's haven't changed. so I think it's still the best by the best damn custom builder. shows three styles. s
    Slant post, Straight post and Hard Top

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    xfra001 likes this.
  19. bartezz

bartezz

Just received mine, will watch it in the next week and let you guys know!

20. maxtshirts

maxtshirts

Cool.I am glad to see when people are talking about the dvds.They are Tommy Steadman's DVDs.I actually have a bunch of his DVDs but I need to find alot of them.But the ones I do have I sell on eBay,as people here know.I mostly sell the 4 door dvd.I think I sold roughly 75 of the 4 door merc dvds,but only 2 of the 2 door dvds.I do have a higher price on the 2 door,maybe that;s why.I have a bunch of the 4 door,but only a very limited number on the 2 door.I also sell the late 40's-early 50's GM sedanet (fastback) chop dvd on ebay as well.

21. 54chevyman

54chevyman

Maxtshirts is no longer.That was my dad and he just passed away at the way too early age of only 65.Anyway my mom and I are still selling the DVDs on ebay under the user name sellingformoneyforthegrandkids

We still have a bunch of the DVDs,but when we run out,they will no longer be available through us.I am trying to find the other Tommy Steadman DVDs that my dad had.I know he has a bunch of the 50 Ford Chop and a few others as well.Just trying to find them.

22. WWinIL

WWinIL

23. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Why buy poor copies when you can buy authorized quality copies of Tommy's DVD's from Mercuryland. http://mercuryland.com/blog/resources/catalogue/ Tommy has chopped approx 40 Mercs over the years and has an excellent eye. I don't believe there is anyone better at re-working the stainless.

49-51 “How to Chop a 4 Door” – Video
    49-51 “How to Chop a Coup” – Video
    49-51 “How to Install a Nova Sub-Frame” – Video

24. 40grit

40grit

When I chopped my Merc I purchased Tommy's tapes back in about 1987 or 88. Back then it was a 2 tape VHS set. Also, he did the entire chop with only an acetylene torch. I was fortunate enough to have a 4 door parts car but found the tapes to be worth three times the price. If you are going to spend a couple of hundred hours chopping the car, cutting down the garnish mouldings, and reshaping the stainless trim it would be foolish not to buy the best quality training tape you can get. Tommy Steadman's are indeed the best I know of.

John L

[​IMG]

25. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Did any ever do one of chopping a 4 door mid century merc AND converting it to a 2 door at the same time?

26. 1951ruiz

1951ruiz
    from arizona

hey guys . im looking for a dvd that shows how to chop a 1951 mercury 4 door. is there any good ones out there? thanks for the help

27. mikes51

mikes51

Another vote for Tommy's video, it was only available on vhs when I did mine.
    [​IMG]

28. ordered it- haven't seen hide nor hair of it...unless it got shipped to the wrong address, but never heard back from the seller after 4 attempts 2 on ebay and 2 thru hamb

29. 40grit

40grit

My copy is also from back when it was vhs. It gets my vote. Absolutely first class and very, very thorough. He does not skip any part of the chop, garnish moldings, vent window or stainless trim. It paid for itself 10 times over.

John

30. bartezz

bartezz

Finally got around to watch it. Video quality is as bad as you'd expect it from an old VHS conversion. Audio is in mono.

But WOW does this guy get into the details. I don't have a Merc, just a 4 door that looks very similar (Volvo 122s). Some people call it a mini Merc. And really enjoyed watching it. It helped me with my plans to chop my car; not chopping! So much is involved and described in great detail it kinda put me off as I don't think I have the experience to finish it... If you know how to work metal but don't know where to start your chop project I would def recommend this DVD!

Cheers