Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

2. A great, great voice that is very under-appreciated.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I don't know about others under-appreciating Aretha, but when I saw her on TV the very first time and heard the first line or two of "Respect," I was sold! That must have been early '67 (maybe "Ed Sullivan"? Don't remember for certain the show). What a set of pipes!

Even later hits like "Freeway of Love" show she never lost it. Though I'm not African-American, I don't think anyone has to be to love hearing a master at work. In my book, Aretha is to Soul and R&B what Billie Holiday and "Big Mama" Thornton were to the Golden Age of Jazz. They ALL "felt" the music and made it alive! Wow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. There are a lot of photos of Marilyn on this thread. I don't think I have ever seen anyone with eyes like hers. They captivate you and draw you in. Such a sad loss.

5. biscaynes

biscaynes

X2

[​IMG]

6. biscaynes

biscaynes

7. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

Ford assembly line.

Attached Files:

• Ford.JPG
      Ford.JPG
      File size:
      124.5 KB
      Views:
  8. Uhh, how about calling it a 1950 Ford instead ?

9. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Yeah, Aretha has talent.

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Aretha

[​IMG]

Wikipedia logged that Rolling Stone ranked her in its "100 Greatest
    Singers of All Time" list, as well as the ninth greatest artist of all time.
    She has won a total of 20 career Grammys, including two honorary
    Grammys, and she has sold more than 75 million records worldwide.
    In 1987, Franklin became the first female artist to be inducted into the
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2012, she was inducted into the Gos-
    pel Music Hall of Fame.
    <SUP id=cite_ref-4 class=reference></SUP>
    <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_1_5693e1c8-c561-4c61-90c3-ae3aa7435737 -->

11. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Hey Jimi, I can personally attest to the fact that Aretha is also a great cook. I used to work her show when it came to the Philly area. They would contract horn players from the town they were working in. During the rehearsal on the big stage of the Academy of Music, her crew assembled a large portable stove with an oven and Aretha was cooking while were going over her show. When we finished, she had the meal ready and her band members were gathering around with plates and silver ware ready. I didn't think they were including me, so I was in the process of splitting when Aretha caught my eye. She said something like, "chile, you better get over here and get some of this good food before you waste away to nothing!" So I put the horn down and shot over to Aretha's grubs. Fried chicken, baked macaroni and cheese, collard greens and corn bread. Man, she could burn!

She's a very classy lady.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Great story, Slim! In at least some instances, two of Aretha's sisters performed backup vocals (that's them on "Respect," e.g.). Aretha was born in Memphis into a church family, before the family eventually moved to Detroit. Sounds like a great formula for good, Southern cooking know-how!:cool:

Food is really more a part of essential culture south of the Mason-Dixon Line, IMO.:rolleyes: A friend of mine from Alabama (now departed due to a second cancer bout:() used to rave about patently Southern dishes that are pretty hard to find in the North or East. She loved collards, of course, and cornbread made from scratch and baked in a "pone" in a black-iron skillet greased with bacon grease:p. (I hope I spelled pone right!)

But my friend Dorothy learned from her mom and grandma the right way to clean and cook chitlins, also fried ocra. I can still see the big smile on her face when she'd get wound up about home cookin' Southern style!:D

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, Jess87, for bringing up 8-millimeter movies on December 27! That's a topic, I think, that hasn't been mentioned on Dog's thread before. But it's important, as a good deal of early motion-picture footage shot at such places as the Dry Lakes would have been on silent 8-mm stock. And that's not to mention most "home movies" shot after WWII to the mid-1960s.

[B][SIZE=3][U]Minor point of clarification[/U]: The Castle Films shown seem to be Standard 8, not Super 8 format. These three snipets of info from Wikipedia pretty much clarify the format differences:[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3]"[B][SIZE=3]The Standard 8-mm (also known as Regular 8) film format[/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3] was developed by the Eastman Kodak [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]company during the Great Depression [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]and released on the market in 1932 to create a home movie [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]format that was less expensive than 16-mm . . . [/SIZE][/B][/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3]"Super 8-mm film cameras were first manufactured in 1965 by Kodak [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]for their newly introduced amateur film format, which replaced the Standard 8-mm film f[/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]ormat . . . [/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3]"8-mm film is a motion-picture film format in w[/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]hich the filmstrip is eight millimeters wide. It exists in two main versions: the original Standard 8-mm film, [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]also known as regular 8 mm or 'Double 8 mm', and Super 8. [/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=3]Although both Standard 8-mm and Super 8 are 8 millimeters wide, Super 8 has a larger image area because of its smaller and more widely spaced perforations."[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3][IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/8_mm_film_types.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE][/B]

[I][B]The two main 8-mm film [/B][/I][I][B]types: Standard (left) and Super (right). Photo-illustration is THANKS to Wikipedia [/B][/I]
    [I][B]which, by the way, just completed their annual, short fund-raiser. It's only for operating funds, so they QUIT [/B][/I]
    [I][B]as soon as their goal is reached! How many fundraisers do that?[/B][/I]

[B][SIZE=3]A 50-foot Castle reel would run a little less than five mintes, as they ran at only a slightly "jerky" 14 or so frames per second (fps). Different manufacturers produced cameras and projectors enabling shooting up to 18-fps, producing clearer, more fluid projected screen images.[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=3]The popularity and wide use of amateur 8-mm film faded significantly -- but did not die out -- with the advent of affordable amateur format videocams. However, for those willing to search, both Standard 8 and Super 8 equipment and film can still be obtained.[/SIZE][/B]

[COLOR=black]<TABLE class=en_img_tbl><TBODY><TR><TD class=en_img_tbl>[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Abbot-Costello-Have-Badge-Will-Chase-8mm-Castle-Films-No-850-/00/$(KGrHqQOKjoE27wUrSE4BN7Z5cf(3g~~_3.JPG[/IMG][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=en_img_tbl><TBODY><TR><TD class=en_img_tbl>[​IMG]

<TABLE class=en_img_tbl><TBODY><TR><TD class=en_img_tbl>
    [​IMG]

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=en_img_tbl><TBODY><TR><TD class=en_img_tbl>[​IMG]

16. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

A lot of the southern cooking is on the endangered list.People don't cook the way they did.Everything now has to be done quick and easy.I'm 63 and my generation is probably the last to learn the old southern style of cooking.The health police are also a threat to the way I ate growing up.Sunny side up eggs,grits,bacon,homemade bicuits with butter and jelley.Mix the eggs,bacon and grits together with some butter and a little salt and pepper and go to town.When you cook the greens or peas throw a hamhock in for seasoning.Mmmmmm good!

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Standard 8 in History: Somewhat ironically, the humble Standard 8-mm color film format was used to shoot what is unarguably the most famous and significant film sequence of the 20th Century, namely Abraham Zapruder's filming of the actual assination of President John Kennedy in Dallas, Nov. 22, 1963.:(

Zapruder's film was shot with a high-end Bell & Howell camera, among the best available at the time. The government developed his film (at Bell & Howell's labs, incidentally) and retained two copies (significant in the Warren Commission's study). The Secret Service and FBI carefully determined that Abe's camera ran at slightly more than 18 fps, helping to determine with some precision the progression of events as Kennedy's motorcade proceded through Dallas' Dealey Plaza and through Oswald's line of fire (and, some theorists hold, that of other shooters, as well:rolleyes:).

At $150,000, LIFE magazine outbid CBS news and others for access to Zapruder's original. After experiencing a nightmare, Zapruder added a proviso to terms of the LIFE deal: The graphic frame, number 313, was to be excluded from publication. LIFE cooperated. A statement on more civil, less in-your-face times?:eek: I'd say, yup.

People will always gripe that this life-ending, society-changing event was on relatively grainy 8-mm film. But, what if we'd had to depend only on other view points, wherein the images caught by amateurs that day were inferior to Zapruder's footage? I say, God bless Abe Zapruder. The film IS, at least, in color. If I could change one little detail, though, I would wish Abe had had a tripod, instead of the hand-held method; we can see the shaky results of THAT after shots rang out. But that's one of life's "What if," "If only" matters, I suppose. (Oh, and SOUND would surely have cleared up a ton of later speculation and guesswork, wouldn't it?) At least, with Abe's film, we know more than we otherwise would have.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Dang, Bill, you're making me hungry!;) Being born in KY right on the WV/KY line, I know pone cornbread (not the namby pamby shit from a box:mad:), hand-cut slab bacon, eggs your way (but fried in the bacon grease), scratch bakin' powder biscuits with butter, homemade gravy, apple butter or home-canned preserves.:cool:

That was just breakfast! The smell of all that cooking would JERK you right out of bed in the morning, even in the winter! :eek:

19. tinsled

tinsled

^What a fine young man with a strong and dedicated suicidal tendency...

20. tinsled

tinsled

Me too! -Tell me, where can I find her? (Do not break my heart...)

21. Dog427435

Dog427435

[​IMG]

I am sooooo in love! :p:p

Me too! -Tell me, where can I find her? (Do not break my heart...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep Dog,----Nobody FORCED her into drugs!---Read "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Riley.

23. tinsled

tinsled

She does not appear to be topless by any means, on the contrary, quite a lot of top there...

24. Jeeez guys! That's the one and only, EJ POTTER! A great guy!

25. biscaynes

biscaynes

am i correct, didn't hef buy the vault beside her?

26. Newport, Oregon Bayfront - a little grittier back then than now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. More vintage Newport, Oregon bayfront.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

29. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

30. yellerspirit

yellerspirit