Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It didn't take long for that smile to turn into his old race face. I think he's ready.[​IMG]

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now that I know where the steering shaft is going to be I can finish the petals. This is a brace I had to make for the clutch shaft to go through.[​IMG]

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The braced welded in place[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Remember earlier in this thread I said that the only thing that would be visible when finished would be the original petal arms here's what I wanted. We need another petal pad like the one here Gene could only find the one. It's from a 63 ford (dress package) we think if any body has one we need it. [​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Last one for the night the finished end cap for the dash.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Well I didn't know as much as I thought I did about vintage race cars. Cromer brought the shocks to me yesterday and I never knew they had double adjustable shocks in 1967 probable older than that because he bought them used from Holman and Moody in 67. You can see both adjusters in this pic.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A better shot of the top adjuster. Another weird thing is the mount takes a 5/8" bolt all the racing shocks of today take a 1/2" bolt.[​IMG]

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The Koni logo[​IMG]

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The part number I'm going to try some of my contacts to see if I can find out more. If ya'll know anything more about old shocks let me know.[​IMG]

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Quain,
    That Koni Model Series #8212 is still made by Koni.

Here is a link to them: http://www.koniracing.com/8212.html

I would emagine that they could take and refurbish them to work again like new.

The 8212 Series is an aluminum bodied externally double adjustable coil-over. It has a twin-tube hydraulic construction that is fully rebuildable and the valving can be matched to a wide range of applications. Adjustment of the rebound and compression damping is provided by two controls and may be adjusted independently of one another without removing it from the car. Please note that the mounting angle may not be more than 45 degrees from vertical as otherwise air might be sucked into the working cylinder. When this occurs, the damper does not function properly.

KONI North America - Racing Division
    1961 International Way • Hebron • KY • 41048
    Telephone: (859) 586-4100 Fax: (859) 334-3340

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. abone1930

abone1930

12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thank's Hot rod I'll check it out. I bet the 4-67 under the part number is the date they were built. I'm going to mount them back just like they were luckily the top mount is still there they were mounted straight up and down.

13. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Quain is an unusual guy, startimg with his name. There is no one like him- a great fabricator and very dedicated to details and his work. He is doing
    a great job on the moonlighter.
    Spent a enjoyable day yesterday ( 1-1-13 ) with him and brought some
    parts.
    Even eat a delicious southern meal with his family that his mother prepared and cooked.
    I can not belive how much those fiberglass seats have shrunk in the past
    50 years, Ruth says the same thing about her clothes.

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Yes, that would be the factory date code: April 1967

There facility isn't to far from you so it shouldn't take to long.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

:):D;) ....and I thought I was the only one that thought my old bucket seats had shrunk :cool:

So Gene, what do you think of the way the car is coming back to life?

Have you started getting your engine back togather?

16. Gene,,,There is no doubt in my mind Quain is doing a great job and his talent shows with every update.

And as for fiberglass shrinking,:D HRP

17. catdad49

catdad49

OK, what a way to start the new year! Yesterday I went thru Swade 41's Henry J build and today The Moonlighter resurrection. I really enjoyed both and I think this is a heck of a way to start 2013. Will definitely keep an eye on the progress and hope all of you guys have great year. Wheels up, Cat

18. Gene... I think we all agree Quain is quite a dedicated craftsman and the guy to be doing the resurrection of the moonlighter. But I also think your quite a gentleman and a innovator in your own right. PLUS you raced the 427 ford. Your a hero to alot of us. I plan on making a trip south to meet you ,Quain and see the car at a track under POWER!!!

19. Those two Gentlemen are the best!! An inspiration to me as I work on my Henry J .Just seeing the progress on Moonlighter makes me work harder on the details!!

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Cool you like both builds the front brakes that Swade41 took off his Henry j was donated to Gene for the moonlighter. If you like build threads check out my willys build here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729572&highlight=quain+stott

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks for all the kind words. It's a dream come true to get to put this car back together. When gene gets to come and spend time with me it makes it even better. It's so neat to find a place on the chassis where something has been cut off or a hole has been drilled and ask gene what the reason was, there is always an interesting story of why it was there. When Gene built this car it was ahead of it's time it's performance showed that. I've had a lot of people tell me that I'm doing the sheet metal work to nice for the era. They are wrong this car had nice tin work I'm only trying to duplicate it. I can roll any kind if bead in alumnium but there were none then and they won't be any now. Thank's again hope ya'll continue to enjoy this as much as Gene and I have.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am loving every minute of this resurrection. If I was a couple hours closer, you might have to chase me out of your shop :) Thumbs up from the cheering section in SW Wyoming, looking forward to every update. Thanks again for sharing this with us.

23. old injun

old injun

another great gasser thread. great work,its nice to see these cars reborn by people with the talent to do it right great job. these threads are great inspiration to motivate me to work on my 39 pontiac gasser

Attached Files:

24. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

The Moonlighter is looking great! I only wish everyone could see all the details in person. Having Gene come by to give direction, share stories, parts, and even sit in the car during mock up, is a blessing in its self! I know Quain is enjoying every minute of this build. On a side note, I think we need some Moonlighter shirts to sell that'll help Gene fund the resurection. What's everyones thoughts on this...any interest?

Quain, I'll be at the shop tonight to give you a break from the Moonlighter so that you can work on Terry's gasser.:D
    See you about 7 o'clock.
    Daron

Here's a cool shot of Gene towing the Moonlighter.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    Mtn Goat likes this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

I think that is a great idea!

I will buy a couple, and I'm sure I could find several others that would too.

A vintage white T-shirt with a picture of the Moonlighter on the front and back would be perfect.

We know there is a ton of talent here on the HAMB to pull it off !

26. Last year Gregg Shreffler had some made,,regrettably he didn't make any big boy sizes.

I would love to see some more shirts made to help fund this build,,,I'll see if Greg will send me a photo,as I recall all it had was the crossed flags. HRP

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gene ! Sure would like to here about your Pro Stock Maverick!
    The car looked great!

Glenn

28. second that

and in for a couple of tee shirts

29. That Gregg is fast,,,this is what the T-shirt he had printed last year looked like,he said that the print on the lower left hand corner was just on the front.

Seems like I remember seeing Gene wearing one. HRP

[​IMG]

We all know the state flag is suppose to have a blue field but Gregg's pal that printed the Shirts is from Ohio!:D

I'm not a Photoshop wizard but I managed to get the flag closer to look correct. HRP

[​IMG]

30. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

QUAIN FOR PRESIDENT!!! Just wanted to say it. The work on the Car is BEAUTIFUL, your doing better work than most of the Restoration shop in NC. If anybody has any shirts for sale to help on the build PM me any info.

Paul B