Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 deuce mid engine hemi fuel coupe build(pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbones32coupe, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

What a cool build, Tim Jones

2. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

So awesome!!! The only thing that could make this thread cooler is a better camera and pics! :D

4. Mattbee

Mattbee

This is going to be a bad ass build! I have to ask, where did you get the Potvin and do you have the inside pieces for the adapter?

5. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Holy cow, glad I didn't pass this one up! Subscribed:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed. That's a lot of motor to fit in with that Potvin on the front :eek:

7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Right now I'm using my phone camera but will be using a better camera soon. And yes I have all the inside parts it is a sprocket to sprocket chain drive I'm going to be posting pics soon I'm going to mock up the engine and blower soon. I want to polish the blower. I just finished honing the cylinders and wire brushed the block and heads. Greased up the journals and slapping a coat of paint on them. Been busy putting in new lights in my garage.

I am recearching the Potvin now. My dad is doing some test and tuning on some old hilborn injectors for Hillborn and we are trying to determine who the Potvin was made for by mabe some marking on my Hillborn injection It may be poss that the fuel pump and injector have been made for that Potvin. We are in the process of talking to Hillborn about it now. Hillborn still has all the records to every injector they ever sold.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. adams27

adams27

This just might be crazy enough to work. Subscribed.

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

killer build,outta be a handful. subscribed

10. 26T

26T
    from Denver

Anything with a Potvin blower in it gets my attention.

11. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Great build, I'll subscribe :)

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

dont tell me your pops gave you the hemi and potvin? you should be bathing his feet in oils.worship that man because it seems like he's fond of you two! do you have a sister? what did he give to her?

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

It's your business...but putting a car together at your time and expense only to have your name on half the title sounds like a lousy deal and a good way for you and your bro to wind up hating each other.

14. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

The car that me and my brothers name is on the title is a model A which is already a hot rod built back in the early fiftys. In order to keep the car in good condition I took over the restoration and up keep. Also to keep the car from being sold out of the family the car has too much historic value to be lost. The car we all agreed should be past down to next genaration for further preservation incase anything should happin to him or me we would still have ownership. to veiw this restoration click here... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152266

[​IMG]

The 32 is my car and will be passed down to my children. This build is from scratch. The one thing that this 32 is not is a car that was built in the fiftys or a car built by any one who is famous or legendary from back in the day, But my father is legendary and has been racing since the fiftys He has set natioal records and has been known in drag racing by many people across the nation as Goldy. He has raced in many of the classes crew cheifing for many well know famous racers. He has that one thing that every race team needs to get their car running fast. Goldy had a speed shop on the east coast called GOLD'Y RACING ENTERPRISES SPEED SHOP. So I dedicate this car to him. Therefore with my dads help this car will be legendary in my eyes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I am for sure is this car will have parts that have history wether it is a knob or a or an engine block the parts are most likely to have some kind of story behind them. My grill shell for instance was a hot rod shell it has the radiator cap filled in with lead and gas welded patches and cuts for lowering it down over a crossmember so its cool to me. Even though i could buy a new one. I want to use this one. Someone started it and Im going to finish it.

My frame is an original Ford but someone had boxed it in and made crossmembers fot it. so the frame was someone elses dream build which is good for me because some of that work is already done. My 32 is a bunch of unfinished projects that never got finished.

The head lights are original old stock in the box. The head light mount brackets are off an old hot rod too they have drill holes on the side. I do not know where most of my parts came from yet but I am researching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The body on the car has a rust pach in the back and they used a license plate to patch it and it reads 1956 which I am going to keep welded in the body becouse it is a gost its the type of thing that makes this car exsactly what it is.[ OLD!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  15. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Great project...congrats...

16. This looks to be "THE BUILD" to watch on the HAMB...Should be fun to follow along.
    Signed up for the ride...

17. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Can anyone help me out with this. Im looking for spindles that will fit a tube axel. I do not know the origin of this axel. I do not know what this axel was built for but I do knowI want to try to use it on my 32 Ford.
    <a href="http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/kennycoolcars1/media/IMG_2172_zpsab8e5aa8.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    I have crome 37-41 round style ford spindles but they do not fit with the tube front end. The Ford king pins have larger O.D. When I just hold the spindle up to the axel with out a king pin the spacing is way off between the thrust bearing and the spindle meaning that the axel is smaller than Ford. But what dose fit this axel? I have to try somthing else I am up for sudjestions. Any one else have this problem with tube axels? There has to be spindles out there that fit this thing I just need you guys to give me some school. Any questions about measurements just ask me. chevy? dodge? angla ? don't think ford will work unless I go through a lot of headaches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The king pin will not fit the axel
    [​IMG]
    see how the king pin is a little bigger than the receiving hole in the axel?
    [​IMG]
    But the king pin will fit the spindle. Ford spindle Ford king pin
    [​IMG]

Ok so its aprox. 2 and 1/4 high [​IMG]

and it is aprox. 3/4 from inside to inside of the bushing so I guess im looking for a spindle that will have a 3/4 king pin? I know it looks bigger in the pic due to the shadow but it dose measure 3/4

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

cleaning up the potvin every thing was polished but was never done right. Im just cleaning it up for now but I will have to repolish every thing. There is still alot of casting marks in it but It will look like it did at leased.
    This is before

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used a zepaluim acid aluiminum cleaner and scrub the heck out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I polished for about 3 hours but had to pick my son up so I had to cut it short I have never been so excited to polish before. every inch is like gold.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

20. SimonSez

SimonSez

You can get tube axles that are setup for Ford Econoline spindles and they use a smaller diameter kingpin than an early Ford axle. Sounds like you may have one of them?

21. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Bitchin', I can't wait to see a full mock up. You're doing this with a great attitude. I love the idea of a load of unfinished projects coming together in an insane period build.

22. tinmann

tinmann

Cool project. Looking forward to updates.

23. This build just keeps getting BETTER!!!!! WOW.......

24. Goldy

Goldy

To those of you that have subscribed, and are following this thread, I want to introduce myself. I am Ken's dad and I will be a part of this build for the rest of my life. In the golden era of drag racing I ran fuel dragsters and some mid-engine fuel coupes. This 32 will be period correct, representing Bonneville style fuel coupes of days gone bye. Kenny gets it, he understands the lure of traditional hot rods and the ghosts that cling to old steel bodies and antique racing parts.
    I have been a member of the JJ for a while, I haven't posted in a long time because I have been spending my time racing Nostalgia Funny Cars. Now I will have to spend more time here so I can be a part of this project. Goldy

bowie and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  25. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Keep up the good work Goldy

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

this outta be good,sounds like all the rite parts are going together,good luck

27. raven

raven

OH HELL YES!
    r

28. Goldy

Goldy

Gary B , I love your avatar!!! And I thought that I was cool because I still have one of my old 5 gallon cans with the RFI label. You got me beat !! Peak -? is that the same company that makes antifreeze? Goldy

29. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Here is the injector gbones32coupe

[​IMG] and blow off [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In a message a hamber replied "This is going to be a great way to give such a tribute to your Dad's vision he had so many years ago . I am glad to hear you can finally get this project underway . I know it's going to be a assume looking 32 when it's done .
    Then for your dad was in the right place at the right time at the salvage yard and to get that kool looking Bomber seat , that's something very special . I have no idea on what it came from from but hopefully you will be able to find out and maybe find another one to match this one .
    You have a lot of work ahead of you but you are so very lucky to have something that your dad wanted to build for you but never did .
    Keep the pictures coming !

Jim
    Thanks Jim Im just thankful that my dad is still around to build it with me. it make is even better. I like listening to the old mans storys. he is actually starting to wright some of them down on computer and sending me emails. its cool to hear old time storys from a guy that lived it. mabe I can get him to share some with you guys if you enjoy reading?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap! KG! This rules!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad