Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hood spear on 56 Chevy, yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moon Rocket, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

In your opinion should I shave the hood spear?

If yes, just what's involved in doing it? Keep it simple please!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. raidmagic

raidmagic

Hell no, I'd lose that scoop but keep the spear.

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Id turn the scoop around and lose that eye sore...

4. ^^^^^I agree....It needs to go.

5. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

loose the scoop and the spear.... oh nice car.....

6. Butch M

Butch M

I like'm with or without by the way that is one cool look'n 56

7. Model T1

Model T1

Not sure about the 56 Chevy. On a 55 there is a peak down the center. Mine was filled with the peak still there. I sold the wagon then bought it back. During that time the yahoo that owned it, not me, another yahoo, had the inner cross section brace and the two rods removed . Then a heavy stainless insert mounted. This left little to support the hood or the upper catch. I simply removed the stainless and added a bird back on to support the upper latch. Now I kinda like it there.
    We removed the hood ornaments way back to be different. Leaving it on now days is different. I'd leave it and dump the scoop.

Forgot to say great looking 56 Chevy!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. i like em too, but id' run some different wheels on that car.

9. I like the car,,got a real 60's look. HRP

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice car,I'd loose the scoop

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

how about a side shot of the car? we can get another look.

12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

My vote is to keep the spear! Here is a pix of my 56.

Attached Files:

13. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I’m afraid the scoop is there to stay; there are four 2” holes under it. It’s an old Cal Customer peace. I may consider turning it around though.
    Regarding the wheels, those Cragers have been on the car since 1970. The guy that built the car in the 60’s wife gave them to him for Christmas 1970 and they have been on ever since. I am currently working on a second set of wheels and tires though. I’m thinking 205/75/R15 on 15x5 original 56 Chevy steel wheels on the front and 285/65/R15 M/T ET’s on 9.5 x 15 banded steel wheels on the back. Black wheels and new 56 dog dish caps all around.
    I just sold one running the old style bias ply stuff and I just can’t do that again.

14. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

I vote to remove the bird, cut out the raised postion that's under the bird and replace that with flat metal and build a peak to the end of the top of the hood.

15. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I own 2 56's, and I like the spear (bird), but some like to shave them. Bottom line is if you like it keep it if not shave it, I always figure I will do what I like to my car no matter how anyone else feels about it.

16. keep the bird turn the scoop around and strip the paint off it then polish it i love your 56

17. roughneck424

roughneck424

Keep the Bird!!! - Rebel against " The Man" Birds not allowed these days

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

If you just unbolt the bird turn the scoop around and take some pics for us. It will be one mean looken SOB....... It would be a a hole new car....

19. Squablow

Squablow

The bird and the scoop compete against each other a bit, but if the paint is nice then I'd leave the bird, it's quite a bit of metal work to shave it. There's raised pads underneath each wing and in the peak that have to be cut out and filled and you'd end up repainting the whole hood at least.

Ed Roth's orange '55 Chevy had that same hood scoop, but not painted and facing forward. If I had one, I'd run it the way he did on his.

20. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

This is a pix of the car back in the eighties,same wheels and tired, same paint. I'm pretty sure it has the same hood on it, but I don't see the spear. But I do see something there?

I'm wondering why I couldn't trim an old spear down to something a lot smaller and have it plated? That way I wouldn't have to do any body work or painting on the hood.

[​IMG]

21. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

WoW look at the front of the car with out that bird. Its screaming fuck you come get some.. the bird make you think this car shold be lowerd on the ground made in to a cruzer!!!!!

22. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Keep it on there. It gives it identity. Plus it helps with your E.T.'s I'm sure.

Nice '56!

23. what your seeing in the pic is the raised spot on the hood the bird bolts to

24. dgang26

dgang26

25. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Oh yea how bout a pic with no hood. Sorry I couldent resist....

26. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

With everones help I'm pretty sure I going to try cutting a spear down as small as I can but still fill and cover all the holes.

Now about the scoop, if I turn it around isn't it going to catch rain? I drive this thing alot and in all types of weather. So I don't want to create a problem when I don't have one now.

27. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I know the ones you realy want to see. From back in the day!
    Lebanon Valley, NY. 1968 I think. The guy's that built the car name was Richey Hummer. If anyone knows any history I would love to hear it. The name of the car was FINN-JUNN.

Purple with blue plexy scoop, big block blower motor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

See look at the front of that bad boy!!!!!!!!!!!

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

you might be on to something ,cutting the bird down,don't think I've seen one trimed.give it a go

30. the rims in the finn jun photos are the ones you need to find and put on , take the bird off and look at it for a week then decide which you like with or with out , and if you've got a good element air filter on there you should be able to spin the scoop no sweat. just my $.02