Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED YOUR HELP on a motor change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 customcoupe, Jan 2, 2013.

1. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Hi fellow H.A.M.B.er's; I need your input and advise, am changing the motor in a '64 chevy 1/2 ton pick-up. Truck has a factory 250 in-line six with a 700-r-4 already installed, have ordered a GM 350 grate motor to replace the six----my question is this---will the factory frame motor mounts work with the new 350? Can they modified to work? Or do I have to change them they completely to another type of mount? I want the truck to have a clean factory type look. Thanks for you help---Ray...

2. Ray...Do a search for the proper motor mounts needed for a 350 in your truck. No the 6 cylinder motor mounts will not work.

3. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Yes they will. Unbolt the six and remove it, then bolt the rubber mounts onto the side of your new V8 block and drop it in place. I've done it several times personally.

You'll be reusing your frame stands and the rubber mounts, but not the spacer brackets the go between the old six cylinder block and the rubber mounts.

4. F&J

F&J

Agree, the v8 mounts are there, but with adapters on top. Toss those out.

...and I believe you move those old 6/8 mounts to the next set of holes in the crossmember. One set of holes is for the 6, the other set is for 8 cyl

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

You leave the frame stands where they are currently. You don't even need to touch the three bolts that hold them to the frame when doing this job. Just remove the bolt that goes up underneath the stand and into the rubber mount to lift it all out.

The rubber mounts will then unbolt (3 bolts each) and then bolt right to the side of your V8. Now drop it right back into place.

6. F&J

F&J

man, old age... I could have sworn there were 2 sets of holes? I just had a 63 six here a few weeks ago, I should have looked. I saw the adapters, but maybe I did not look at the crossmember.

Yes, I know the old 55-57 chevy car swaps had 2 holes for 6 to 8, but..:confused:

7. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

You're not imagining things. There are two set of holes in the frames.

Starting in 67 (with the new body style) GM moved the small block forward into the front set of holes and made different frame stands to align with those 3 holes in the frame and crossmember. Prior to that though, small blocks were in the rear holes. All of the 230/250 six cylinders used the rear hole set and corresponding stands from 63-72. I do know that the 292 use of the front hole set of the passenger side mount through all year ranges also.

8. F&J

F&J

That must be it. I had a 69 with a 292 and put in a 400 sb around 1975. I "knew" I moved "something":D