Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blower Manifold and Multiple Carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowMoe, Jan 2, 2013.

1. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

I have a strong running 347 SBF (Stroked 302) that's going to be making it's way into a 31 Vicky on 32 rails. I want some Eye Candy for carburetion, but not the 2x4's that I had originally planned on. Edelbrock offer's their 3-2's Vintage intake for the SBF, but the idle-5500 RPM specs for this manifold makes me feel that I'm going to lose all the breathing ability of the TFS heads and stroking that was built into this engine. I picked up a couple of sets of the Demon 98 carbs and was contemplating modifying a Offy Dual quad manifold to accept four of these Demon carbs inline. At 205 CFM, three on a good flowing manifold would be a little short for the breathing ability of this particular engine and 4 at 820 CFM, would be a little too much. So I was also contemplating using a blower manifold and bolt on one of the adapter plates that dashman machines, with either the three or four two barrels carbs. My question is, how would a blower manifold perform with such a large open plenum, in this particular scenario? Here are dashman's plates I'm talking about using on top of a blower manifold.

Attached Files:

2. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

I think those adapters you show belong on top of the blower. Not on top of a blower manifold.

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

If you've got a terminal predjudice against 2x4s, consider a tunnel ram manifold with an adapter plate. I did a 3x2 and a staggered 4x2 plate. Neither of them make as much horsepower as the better 2x4s on a tunnel ram, but the staggered 4x2 did look eyecandy/bling/busy.

jack vines

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

there's a picture of three 94s on an adapter on an injected truck manifold here someplace...
    didn't look too bad, don't know how it performed

better eye candy (in my eye anyway) would be four Webers on a Cobra intake

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here it is, you no doubt would need more carburetor but the truck manifold may be a better base than a blower or tunnel

[​IMG]

6. afaulk

afaulk

820 cfm will not be too much for that engine

7. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

ProShifted, I realize those plates go on top of a blower, but I'm not wanting to run a supercharger. I'm trying to build a vintage looking intake with multiple 2 bbl carbs. Paul, I seen that adapter on top of the Ford FI lower manifolds, but I'm worried about reversion with the downward slopes and proper fuel distribution. Two carbs would be primaries and two secondaries, So there's always going to be four cylinders that have primaries over them and the other four, secondaries... That's where I was thinking that the blower manifold might serve this purpose better. I figured someone on here has run one with multiple carbs and can say whether it worked or not. Thanks for your knowledge afaulk..

8. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

OK, so what did I do wrong here? Is the fact that I decided to run Demon 98's, because they offer more CFM, don't leak, and are overall better carburetors than the Old Stromberg 97's, keep those with the knowledge to help away from helping? Sheesh, don't judge, lest you be judged!

9. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Ok then..........

10. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Here you go, A blown 347 with six strombergs .

Attached Files:

11. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

HEY 5wcoupehunter that's way cool......

12. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

5wcoupehunter, that's SPECTACULAR!
    I'm not wanting to run a blower though, I wanted to get some expertise in running multiple two barrels on either the top of a blower manifold, or building my own manifold from a 5.0 EFI lower manifold or from an Offenhauser dual quad manifold... I'm wanting to run two primaries and two secondary carbs with progressive linkage. Needless to say, there just aren't any 4-2 manifolds available for the SBF. Surely there are guys out here that have tried something similar, and can say it either worked, or it didn't. Thanks....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  13. 55willys

55willys

I ran 2 Edelbrock carbs on a high rise intake with progressive linkage and it ran great. I am using a 6x2 on a 327 it is a log style manifold so it has an open plentum on each side with crossovers for balance. As long as you have an open plentum there should not be any fuel starvation problems. to use the 5.0 lower intake you will have to open the center up as they have individual runners to the top. The blower manifold might work better for you. Either way post some pics of how you do it.

14. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

55 Willys, are you running any dummy carbs with your 6-2 setup, or are they all operational? Which ones are the primaries? Center on each side? How well do those log-style manifolds run off idle? I have also contemplated fabbing a log-style intake for the SBF, but would like to get a lot of feedback prior to spending a lot of time manufacturing something that just isn't going to work.

15. 5wcoupehunter,
    those are some cool pics,,,great looking engine!!!

Tommy

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Why progressive?

17. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Around town drivability? I realize my engine is probably capable of running three Demon 98's with direct linkage, but wouldn't that decrease the drivability of the car? I would think that it would be difficult to operate under part throttle situations?
    I realize they're NOT Stromberg's or early Holley 94's, but they're definitely cooler than dual quads! And they're rated at 205 CFM each

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dont think you will have a problem if you get them tuned wright.
    I ran this set up on a small block chevy. Its one I made out of a crossfire intake. It worked great the top end power was not as good as a single four because the runners are small in that intake.

Attached Files:

19. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Saltflats, that actually looked pretty good. Were you running direct linkage on all four carbs?

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

21. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

How was your cruising throttle response? Any "flat" spots or hesitation? It's too bad Ford never produced any manifolds for the 289/302 that resembled something like Chevy's Crossfire Injection Intake. There just isn't anything available for the SBF that could easily be modified like this particular intake you used. I was thinking of using a Cross Ram intake, but everything I've read about them, has really turned me away from going that route, especially when you take their prices into consideration.

22. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I have a cast top I make for 6x2

Attached Files:

23. The blower manifold will work just fine. Been there, done that. I tad sloppy on the low end, but screams above 3500

24. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Very nice piece Savage, but I don't think six Demon 98's will fit that close to each other?
    For now, I'm going to run the Three-deuce Demon 98's on the Edelbrock intake, eventually, I may try a blower intake with a manufactured top that would allow me to run four Demon 98's inline. Thanks for all the ideas and tech help.

25. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Savage what do you charge for that?? Looks nice. Know anyone that makes a blower top for four in a row?!?