Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30/31 AV8 Grill Height?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AeroCraftsman, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I went with 2" too , I'm happy with it.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

See...! It sucks when you have an expensive radiator already purchased and such, but it is a nessesary kinda deal on these old cars that sooooo many get wrong. I always treat the radiator as a seperate part of the build. I set the body where it belongs, get everything up to ride height where it belongs then prop the shell where I think it belongs. Stand way back and look. Adjust acccordingly to taste. THEN AND ONLY THEN do I figure out what to do for a radiator.

3. swissmike

swissmike

Ran a full height 32 shell and radiator for years and just did not look right with a hood top on my 31. Had the radiator recored with 2" removed which ended up being too much so I shimmed it up by 1/2" and it looks good now. I suggest 1-1 1/2". Cut the sides of the shell accordingly.
    Your car looks great it he pictures, but could use a tad more lowering of the radiator IMO.

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Brookville's setup for an "A" on '32 rails uses a grille, shell, and radiator 2" shorter than the '32 on '32 rails. Walker makes the radiator for them.
    I have this setup on mine with no hood top right now, but I have laid it up there in a mock up and to me it looks right. One of these days that hood top will be on there, just not yet. Still trying to decide how I want to fasten it, hidden latches or leather straps.
    But it looks right 2" shorter to me with hood just laid up there.

5. flthd31

flthd31

Nice to see your not settling for "that's good enough".
    If your using a hood, it magnifies any problem with the shell being too high.
    Here's one I'm working on. It has a '32 Walker Rad. that was made 2" shorter than stock and the shell was cut 2" on the bottom sides . The hood is a '32.

Attached Files:

6. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the shorter radiator installed. 1 1/2" shorter. The bottom of the grill shell just kisses the frame rails. I'm happy with it now, glad I didn't settle for something that would've bothered me every time I looked at the car.

Attached Files:

7. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Check out this website www.rootlieb.com for all your hoods and sides . Getting ready to do the same but i need a 2 inch stretch on my 30 with a 32 grill shell do i trim it 2 inches or 1.5 going to pinch the 32 frame all the way to the grill shell.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Looks sooooo awsome!!