Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ratman

ratman

I went to the electronics store to buy all of the bits to make a unit and the guy say's you do realise Sony make a unit all ready to go.
    I look back with a wtf look on my face!!! ( I hate electronics)
    Comes with a remote and dock, the manual suggests you mount it under passenger seat but I ended up putting it in the trunk.
    If you want you can feed your outputs from your existing orignal radio/stereo into it.
    I have the dock hidden and use the remote. These things are great.

Attached Files:

2. Scumdog

Scumdog

Good call!;)

3. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Do you have Model number for that unit?

4. dmac620

dmac620

Sony part number XDP-MU110 looks to be it.

5. mob53

mob53

I don't think Sony makes that model anymore but u can still get it from Crutchfield for $50 (used to be $250).

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. ratman

ratman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XDP-MU...590390?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a7cf5db36

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XDP-MU...958894?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a18b2362e

There are others listed as well

I was told by the rep from Sony New Zealand they were released this year in New Zealand. 56 were pre sold at the annual Beach Hop (Major NZ Nostalgia car event) early 2012 and then they went on general sale June 2012 and have been selling like hot cakes.
    They were available much earlier than that in the USA.

Heres a reveiw:
    http://onlinecaraudio.co.nz/blog/sony-xdp-mu110-digital-link-sound-system-product-review/

7. ratman

ratman

8. yblock292

yblock292

I'm planning to do this on my 51, but want to use the IPOD nano which has an FM reciever, but the "Kid" at best buy i was talking to said he didn't think the FM would work with out the headset, thought the headset wiring was also the antenna.

9. ratman

ratman

Yep the headset is the antenna, Same as my cell phone FM wont work without the stupid headset plugged in.

For $50 the Sony deal is a good way to go. I paid $499.00 NZ which is $409.00US for mine.

I went online to get one at $50-00 for one of my other cars but they wont ship to New Zealand. I have a US address also but because my credit card billing address is in NZ they still wont sell to me. Damm

10. Jack, I wonder what the reception is like on the nano fm radio. You could likely plug the earbuds into it and have them folded up in your console and use the lightning port for audio output. But I wonder if you have to have the ear buds stretched out to get decent reception.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. chubbie

chubbie

wow $50 sounds like the way to go! thanks!!

12. Traditional would be a AM radio tuned to WLS or KMOA! I don't care if guys want to do this as long as they don't look down their noses at my safer radial tires! Technology is a good thing!

13. streetwhore67

streetwhore67
    from Pittsburgh

Thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the info..

14. doc's

doc's

Well said...keep the info coming - going this route to maintain my factory radio delete plate.

15. upspirate

upspirate

Reply to my own post!!

I finally searched and found these sources for an under/in dash plug to hook up my I-pod to the simple amp/speakers like that squirrel posted.

Here are e-bay links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20067927470...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=200679274706&_rdc=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190773303105?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also I found this complete set-up...amp/speakers/hook up stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190762006066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I went for a ride in the truck today and tried out the system....it was fine for tunes,not high quality,but I enjoyed it none the less. In a noisy rod with the windows open,and no room for equipment it worked great for my purposes.Plus it's hidden behind the dash with only a cord and I-Pod on the seat.I will be ordering the plug and mounting it hidden at the bottom of the dash.

I also wired in a toggle switch in the radio harness hook-up wire to kill power to the system when driving but don't want the tunes.

16. THANKS!
    ordered and shipped today, since my wife needed a new ipod for christmas, I've got one for the car now:D.

17. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Hi Ratman
    I live in Denmark, Europe
    I gave them my Shippers adress in paramount, LA and wrote that this was my billing adress too
    I have a confirmation that it shipped the day after

18. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I finally got my ipod system hooked up tonight in my 54 Chevy...2 4-way 6x9 Pioneers, Nice Mediabridge RCA Y cable, 400 watt Dual Amp from Walley World! She sounds awesome! Not to mention completely hidden too!

19. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Ok Ipod gurus...I've just finished wiring a system like this and connected my Ipod and all I get is 'device not supported by this application' or something similar.Ideas?
    Thanks
    EB

20. Metallicat

Metallicat
    BANNED
    from Bay Area

When trying to charge or when trying to play?

21. dmac620

dmac620

Tod, I just put that system in your old Chevy. Worked great, hooked up to the single speaker in the dash. No amp or existing radio needed. I just need to change out the speaker that was in there to a dual voice coil speaker that will play stereo sounds through a single speaker. I highly recommend that Sony unit from crutchfield.

22. dirti629

dirti629
    from MA

kicker has a powesports amp/ipod combo that is desighned for this application. It has the iPod cable that runs into a 50x2 amp with a lighted remote you can mount anywhere you want Ive used then on motorcycles and installing one in my project. these have been designed for us hot rod guys. its a pxi50.2 check it out

23. toml24

toml24

How to save money: Buy a SONY WALKMAN MP3 flash-drive player: About 1/2 the price of a IPOD. I'm 4-weeks into using my new WALKMAN in my OT car and it's still on the first charge!

24. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for idea Tom. I'm stuck in the CD era and really just want to be able to copy CD's into a flash-drive and use the flash-drive. Don't want/need a video capability either. I assume that I still need the MP3 player to do this. Right? Any suggestion for where and what model MP3 player?
    Thanks,
    Bob (severely audio/electronic handicapped)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  25. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

I'm not sure how you'd do this without some kind of MP3 player. The flash drive is just storage. Does your phone have an MP3 player built in?

Getting the CDs onto the MP3 player won't be tough. Maybe I can provide a tutorial at breakfast next week.

26. johnod

johnod

27. Amplifier is not needed. It has output jacks for front and rear speakers and a subwoofer. As long as you run the output at normal level you should not need an amp unless you are running it in a roadster with no mufflers (I had the same question before ordering one myself) :cool:

28. johnod

johnod

29. johnod

johnod