Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead resurrection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Jan 2, 2013.

1. chiro

chiro

Here's the history.

Bought the 59 AB about two years ago. It was on a stand in some guy's garage. He got it from some woman whose husband passed on. The engine was supposedly rebuilt. After I got it home and opened it up, it looks fabulous. Clean as a whistle on the bottom end. No visible cracks with heads off. Pistons stamped .030. Cylinder bores are GORGEOUS with cross-hatching honing marks clearly visible and no ridge at top of cylinders.

I'm thinking an obviously fresh rebuild with low miles.

I'm getting ready to drop it into my AV8 build and was thinking of retorqueing the rod and main caps underneath.

Question is...what else should I do before buttoning it up the bottom of the engine. I'm a noob with flatheads, but don't really think this engine needs much else. It really looks THAT good.

Andy

2. belair

belair

I would re-torque the bottom end, maybe plasti-gauge it, and pray the valve seats aren't cracked. Good luck the lump.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why pray when you can investigate now before it gets installed?

4. chiro

chiro

Valve seats look great as does the rest of it. I was thinking about plasti-gage, but I don't really think it is needed as the rest of the engine just looks so darned good. Anybody else?

Waht about replacing the oil pump? Good idea or not? which one to get?

Andy

5. Butch11443

Butch11443

I would plastic gauge it at this stage. Also, grease or oil the main seals while you got it apart.
    Butch

6. alchemy

alchemy

If you are doing any disassembly to check clearances, take the time to relube everything you open up with a good Assembly Lube. Especially the cam/lifters.

7. belair

belair

Because it sounded like the OP didn't want to disassemble the whole thing.

8. tinmann

tinmann

As added insurance, if you pull the caps, wash away all traces of the old assembly lube and apply new. Some brands have been known to thicken with age and potentially clog passages.

9. chiro

chiro

Exactly

10. 36tbird

36tbird

If you want to modify the oil system for the so called 95% filtration, now would be the time to do it. And if it has hollow adjustable lifters without the bosses drilled to stick a pin in to hold them for adjusting, you might do that, too. Finally, make sure it has the aluminum timing gear and not a fiber one.

11. I have an exact engine to yours, an outstanding rebuild 59A engine by all visual accounts but a hazy provenance with the missing link being someone whom passed also. My engine has new parts everywhere, 8BA rods, shell bearings, new pistons, rings, bearings, adjustable lifters, new oil pump etc etc., all the machine surfaces are fresh.

I took the engine and spent a day with a seasoned flathead guy, we checked end play, valve lash, removed a couple of valves, looked at the seats and valves, checked rod and main bearing clearances, removed one piston to observe the rings, removed the rings and checked the gaps and lastly he wanted to check piston to wall clearance and this is where he decided that the bore /piston fit was a bit tight and suggested it be loosened up via honing and fitting the pistons.

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Definitely recheck clearances,....fresh lube, as stated above,... it's all very inexpensive peace of mind.....considering the $$ of a rebuild later.....

HAPPY RODDIN' !!! 4TTRUK