Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Tin Found In The Desert-'33 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Moedog07

Moedog07

Big Jim many Native Americans were wary of having their photographs taken and often refused. They believed that the process could steal a person's soul and disrespected the spiritual world. So your request for more pictures could throw the Automotive Spirit World into a spin. Now your being a downer in two worlds.... :eek:

Is Stealing Souls worse than stealing metal? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. I predict the owners of the adjacent land are going to claim ownership of the cars regardless, and scrap the metal. Especially now that one is dug out.

3. white64

white64
    from Maine

I get the feeling that this is not going to turn out well... in hindsight yah shouldah just taken the damn thing and not said a word to anyone about it ....

4. Model T1

Model T1

Hell, no one knows but us !
    As for those who call this stealing, it's not like it's a finished, or even a project car. It was obviously abandoned many years ago to be used by Mother Nature and abused by those nasty people with guns.
    Save it from further pain and suffering by bringing it, even at least partially, back to life by using it as a donor for other old Chevys.
    So, someone comes along and claims it as his. Ya really think he's gonna have a title or really own the land?
    Load it up and git the heck outta there. If you get stopped tell them you are a tree hugger doing your job. There are no license tags or serial numbers to check.

5. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

I agree. What if it was an old Sinclare Gas sign? Or an old lantern?

Come on... It's two big pieces of metal someone has thrown away.

If it was an old refrigerator they were going to restore no one would say a word.

6. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Yea I am thinking this might just be what is going to happen, I am betting these are going to china in little squares now.....If you want these cars saved just go get them, otherwise they are gone, if I were close, call me a thief or whatever but I would have already loaded them up, to me they are just a big old tin can laying in the desert, they are someones trash waiting to be picked up by whomever finds them.....its a shame that they will be gone forever soon.....Jim:(

7. If it is state property that it is on, it is an abandoned vehicle and can be salvaged as such. Check the state law on abandoned vehicles. That must be state property and is an access road , not a ditch.
    The scrappers would take in a heartbeat.

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

What about the thread on the exploring arizona where the one poster said he is going to pull the grill and bumper off the buick? No one is jumping his ass for stealing....so does it make a difference on how much weight it is or what?? I guess I am confused, its ok to take that but not ok to take this...SAVE THESE CARS!! Jim

9. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

With all the back and forth about "your a theif, those cars are not yours" to "oh what the hell just take em, their gona get scrapped anyway" and the cries for more photos, maybe the original poster has decided to keep everybody in the dark and just do something. The right something or the wrong something depending on your perspective.

10. Bredlo

Bredlo
    from Chicago

I scrolled through all 7 pages... praying there'd be more photos at the end! Nooooo!

11. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i found an old truck cab (35ish something) way out in desert. went back a couple years later to maybe get it. somebody allready tried to unbury it,and choked it with a strap, ruined it all to hell. still there. wish i hadnt waited, it was solid.

12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

So there's no homstead around within a reasonable distance, and they appear to have been dumped years ago, and have already been picked of they easy to grab items like the grills, hoods, etc which have probably already ended up at a swap meet! My guess is, there's been a scrapper watching it, and he's been to lazy to dig it out. Now that he see's someone else trying to take it, He'll get busy digging it out and POOF! it'll be gone!
    These situations are a real slippery slope. I can see wanting to save it from being taken and scrapped, but SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE is still the rightful owner, and until contact is made with that person, and removal of it approved, it can be prosecuted as a felony theft of property. My 10 year old recently had a dirt bike stolen from our garage about a week after he got it. The deputy investigationg it told us, that without having proof of ownership like a title with a serial number, it could have been stolen by our neighbor, be sitting in plain sight in his yard, and if he insisted that he didn't steal it, we'd be hard pressed to prove it was ours, even if he had no proof of purchase, since possesion is 9/10 of the law.
    I will say, even though the devil in me says grab it before a scrapper does. It's had for me to advocate that though given our recent theft.

13. msalamanca

msalamanca

why is there 7 pages of this back and forth. Its abandoned, in the desert, dig it out and take it home. If its American Indian land then dont touch it.

If you would like, give me the location and I will dig it out and take it to my place.

Thought this was a place for hooligans and hot rodders.

14. budd

budd

maybe things are a little simple up here in Canada, here i would go to the local goverment office and find out the legal name of the property, lot # and plan #, then i take that info to the provincial office and for $10 they tell me the owners name, there must be a process you can do in a couple of hours to find out the owners name, if it were me i would not mention the car, just say you found an old well or nice big rock you would like to have, today with GPS and cell phones with compasses even out in the middle of no where you should be able to tell where you are within a couple of feet.

15. richie rebel

richie rebel

i'm with yea

16. Drive Em

Drive Em

It is highly unlikely that anyone else will find it as it is in a very remote location.

17. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

If they were walking and found an old gold coin in the same location, anyone would put it in their pocket and keep walking.

Same with an old bottle, can, gun or anything old west related. We are letting the idea that since it's a car that different rules apply.

It's TRASH. ABANDONED!

Take it and do with it what you like. Just like the hiker going around looking at cars that the flash floods washed away.

As deep as those cars are in there they must have been there 50 years.

good luck, but if it was me. They'd be in my yard.

18. The main reason vehicles have "different rules" is the fact that they carry serial numbers. I am pretty much with you,otherwise.

19. rixtasan

rixtasan

So it's been a little tricky figuring this out with the Holidays and such getting in the way. I think I've got the ownership question figured out. In the meantime a couple of shovel toting gearheads got to work and came up with this. We'll keep you guys posted. Your thoughts? Enjoy!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Nice! Patch a few holes, buff it out and yer on the road...

21. damn i wanted to be the first to say "buff it out"! LOL

Looks OK though, seen alot-lot worse.

22. I've seen worse on the roads of Wisconsin!

23. JD Miller

JD Miller

There is someone somewhere that would try and sell that for $10,000 plus as is. Probably someone that would pay too

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Good luck I hope ya'll get it

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

Stop by the power wash on the way home. About $35.00 worth.

26. It's still a lot better than the last one we had, you could make a stock car out of it if nothing else.

27. i'm thinking vintage stock car.

28. DeadGuy2

DeadGuy2

The guy that gets one of these road ready will be a 'Hot Rod Legend' in my eyes.

Make SURE you document every step. This is a car that will be talked about for DECADES if done right.

Call it Lazarus, or Phoenix or something like that.. hahaha

buds
    chuck