Register now to get rid of these ads!

>>An Idiot's Guide To....Multiple Carburation!!! (Weiand WC4D 4x2)<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Johnny99

Johnny99

Subscribed! Great info. here. Thanks to all for sharing. Going to do a build with a early to mid 60s drag race vibe. Got me a 40 over 327 with the TRW 375 HP pistons, 461 heads, and this VVV to sit on top!
    Happy New Year all, John

Attached Files:

figure8 likes this.
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

SP tops are a nice touch!

3. Johnny99

Johnny99

Thanks, I was pretty darned happy when I scored that thing.
    John

4. Just trying to keep up with the Jones's...

Just picked it up for my new deuce coupe. :D:D

We'll see if I'm still smiling when I've got to try to get the thing running right. ;)

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      481.8 KB
      Views:
  5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hate you Daddy-O!

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice! I'm building a + .040 327 with forged flattops, 462 heads, Chet Herbert mech roller and Man-a-fre. Block decked .020 and heads cut .020.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well looks like that I have made a deal for some 97's so I'll have to start looking at some exploded views and familiarizing myself with their inner workings. I'm pretty excited about this as I was going to need 2 97's for my '33 eventually so this will get me on the track of becoming a bit more proficient with how they work. I just hope they don't bury me money wise to rebuild them.

Yesterday I started mapping out where the fuel log will be mounted. I picked up a old circle track log that was pretty beat but after some cleaning then polishing and then a trip into the bead blaster it looks awesome. I'm going to tig some tabs on it and mount it really low and close to the intake. I also found out Dennis Carpenters sells rolls of copper plated steel tubing for fuel lines for $18.00 a roll so that's what I'll use for the entire system as long as the ID is big enough.

8. 1952henry

1952henry

1) Get yourself one of Uncle Max's stainless Stromberg jet wrenches.
    2) Read and follow this tech article for getting the emulsion tubes out:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187105&highlight=stromberg+97

I can't remember if he explains the "puller", but it is a #6 screw (2-2.5"), I used stainless, a couple of washers, and a #6 wingnut.

3) Slot yourself a big screwdriver in the middle of the blade for the power valve. Really important for installation.

Others will chime in, but once apart, make sure all parts match!

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Right on man.....once ya get into them, they are pretty damn simple.
    I'm into each of mine under $150....that includes the price of the carb itself....common misconception that 97's are expensive...

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just commenting so I can get back to this later. I plan on a similar set up.

Tons of useful information in this! Thanks for sharing.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll be able to comment some more in the next week. Just got my carbs back from Uncle Max and my Linkage back from Dickster. The best of both world's!!!

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet! I'm glad this thread isn't over.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

No I just work really slow. But the crunch time is on, the car needs to be finished in 21 days!!!! So yeah I should have some do's and don't very soon. All I can say is when I seen those 4 carbs show up today after Max got a hold of them I wept as if my second child was being born. They are that nice!!!

14. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Shades of Boyd Coddington !! American Hot Rod

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Great thread, subscribed, and just what I was looking for....just got these 97's from Uncle Max and am making progress with getting this set up on my '32 asap........

[​IMG]

16. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

lets get this going again!

would it be possible to use this intake with two functional 94's and two dummies?

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Don't think so as it would not feed both sides of your engine equally. That's why it is not recommended to use progressive with this set up either. At least that is what I have been told by my friends who are better mechanics than I.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dickster as well as others have ran these intakes on just two carbs and progressively with great results. I'm running mine progressively and I even unhooked two carbs from the linkage and have been running it like that since I need to figure out a better way for my stock '35 linkage to pull all 4 carbs shut when not using them. I was having an issue of me running rich because those secondaries would just not close. Now my plugs look great still so I'm not leaning them out in ant of the cylinders.

I actually think you can block two off (front and rear most carbs) and run just the center two but I'm no expert.

I've heard straight linkage is better for the staggered setups but I think if your linkage is right and your parts are up to snuff you don't have to ALWAYS go that route.

19. When I ran that setup we did not run progressive. Had the same problem with running rich. The problem was the offset linkage binding (throttle shaft extenders).

Created a guide plate to run accross the face of the driverside for the throttle shaft extensions... That fixed the problem.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yep I've got them! Dickster did the linkage and did guides for them. It's really a nice setup and run true. My stock spring just can't pull that last little bit closed. I need to add another spring on those secondaries.

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Well there ya go....every body has a different answer so you try stuff and if it doesn't work you try something else...lol

22. Jeremy Shay

Jeremy Shay
    from Las Vegas

Heres a 4x2 Blower top I've been tackling. All stromberg parts readily available. "Extra" arms are being used as spring anchors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

All the links to Webroder.com are now invalid. Just an FYI!!!

24. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

OK I misspelled it.
    But when you try and view anything there it gets obnoxious.
    It doesn't show the Model 94 rebuild manual and when you click the link to buy a printed copy it costs $1595.00.

The guy has either been hacked or quit.

25. rebstew187

rebstew187

26. George

George

Webrodder imploded. According to Doc's last tech guy the tech who built the site used some one off set up that only the creator could do. Doc & the tech had a falling out & that eventually led to the collapse.