Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hairpin question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jwjames, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jwjames

jwjames

I am not new around here just not one to post. (limited time) I recently picked up a stainless steel tube axle and hairpins for my latest project which is a 28-29 bodystyle roadster pickup. The problem I am having is all the ends on the hairpins are tapped at 11/16-18. I am having trouble finding a rod end or clevis to match and have the 3/8 hole where it bolts to the axle. Any ideas without having to drop another $150-200 on new hairpins when these have never been used?

2. Scott

Scott

speedway has 11/16 rod ends, I dont know about clevises

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. Never seen a 11/16 thread clevis. Every set of front hair pins I have seen have been tapped 5/8" fine at the clevis ends. Do you know who made the axle and hair pins? A machinist could make what you need on a lathe and mill but I don't think you could get 4 for $250.

5. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Have you tried mc master carr?

6. Scott

Scott

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. jwjames

jwjames

I have thought about the 3/4 turned down which would be cheaper. I only have $200 in the hairpins and axle together so not looking to spend much if I can help it. I have the tie rod ends but now need to locate the heims or clevises. I don't care which I use either way but would like to be able to drive this truck once the weather warms up by the end of March.

I will check into buying a die (saw one on ebay for a little over $20) and then check to see how much a set of 3/4 rod ends would cost.

I would stop by and check a few places like Tractor Supply and the like but they are all closed today.

Thanks for the suggestions I will check them out and once located I will have to post pics as I piece all these parts together.

8. charlieb66

charlieb66

The availibilty of the 11/16" clevis/rod ends may be the reason that the setup only colst you $200.

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Do you have access to a lathe and mill? Making the clevises from bar stock might be easier than trying to chuck up on an irregular shape (the yoke end of the clevis).

10. How about a threaded plug that is a more standard size screwed into them.

11. Gromit

Gromit

If you could find a manufacturer or serial number it might help.. Otherwise it seems Clevis has left the building

12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on the ID, you may be able to shorten a few inches and rethread? Or if not, you can weld in a threaded bung.

13. jwjames

jwjames

I have looked over these hairpins and found no serial or manufacturer. I think I may have found a solution though. Speedway sells 11/16 heims with a 5/8 hole. I can use a bushing to make up the difference between the 5/8 and 3/8 to make it work. I am waiting now on my spring pivots to get here on Friday so I can measure what length I need for the spring.

14. Andy

Andy

You really really don't want to run hairpins on a tube axle anyway. Sell the hairpins and get a four bar set up. Maybe not as cool but will not snap off. Please do a thread search on tube axles and radius rods/hairpins and see the problems. A friend used to carry spare perch bolts as he was shearing them off.