Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Wisconsin members recognize this Henry J?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1970malibu, Jan 1, 2013.

1. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

A member posted this photo from a swap meet in Jefferson WI in another thread and I immediately noticed the Henry J in the background. It looks very similar to one I have been searching for and would like to know if anyone has any info on it. It appears to have a very set back engine with the injectors by the dash, which is what the one I am looking for had, as well as the driver sat in the back middle of the car. I would appreciate any info on the car and more pictures if anyone has any. Thanks.

Pic of car at swap meet.
    [​IMG]

Car I have been looking for
    [​IMG]

2. I maybe wrong...well usually am, but i think you have pictures of two different cars. The top one i think i know....but if you are sure the top car is the same car as the bottom, then i'm wrong...
    Made sense?
    I believe the top car was this back in the day.....before it was ruined...
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's a pic of a pic

3. cw1949

cw1949

I might have to agree with the above post. It looks like a different car unless it was altered. The rear wheel opening is larger in the second car than the first.

4. Could i be right....for once?
    just looking at the body line going into the wheel well openings...different cars

5. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the posts, Yeah I noticed the wheel well difference after posting it. But it's the only one I've come across that comes close to matching the one I've been looking for. Probably not the same but if anyone has anymore pics or info on the one I would still be interested. Can't get enough Henry J pics!

6. The pic I posted is a local car named Little Orv. Ran Great Lakes Dragway early to mid 60's, built by a friends uncle. Originally Maroon, but was sold and later painted purple with the goofy lettering on the side...looks very much like the top pic you posted. I don't know the current owner but it's in the same town I live in...actually a few miles from me. Was on Craigslist over the summer/fall. If it wasn't so $$$ i'd own it and restore it to its maroon glory

7. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Also the rear windows are different...bottom one looks to be flush mounted.....and yes the wheel openings are bigger on the 2nd pic also.

8. [​IMG]

What the hell is this freakin' abortion!?!?

9. Sent you a p.m. with all the info....

10. all the info on what...you know the owner? Tom NVR's uncle owned the car....

O'yah..we gotta talk soon.....slots....

11. Not personally... but I've had things done at his "Starter/Alternator shop" in West Allis.

Give me a call re: Slots

12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I don't think thats Dick's Henry J

13. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The picture I took at Jefferson was fairly large so I was able to crop a larger version of the Henry J:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I then Googled "Hellacious Henry and found these images of the car on this web site:

http://thedonutthole.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

Which mentioned being a Dick Billings' and working his Henry drag car. I also Googled "Dick Billings" and came up with a link to his rebuilding shop in West Allis. So it seems to be the car the others are talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PM me if you need any help. I've known Dick for 35 years and he's good people to deal with. If you go and see him bring beer !!!

15. don't know him personally, but something tells me i might drop in over the summer

16. Considering that you live a couple of blocks from him... (bring your Pabst!)

17. haha....don't leave home without it!

18. Is that the place off National Ave? does it still exist? I've been there buying parts back in the day. If so, then I probably met him. But, I've never saw that car.
    Relating to West Allis and long time businesses on National Ave., on a sad note, Happy Hobby burned down:(

19. SHIT....i just googled it. That place was a trip back to my childhood. Was just there a few months ago looking for more slot car stuff for my home track...Sucks...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013