Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nitro And Superchargers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Dec 27, 2012.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Littleman, you're not that far from Where we assemble the engine. Would you mind if I contact you as we get closer, to get your input on this?

Lord knows your car runs like a raped ape!

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Buddy,will you be looking at Nitrous and Alky combo?
    I understand that you will get alot of HP by a flick of a switch, but I have seen too many nasty insidents with it:eek:! The other aspects is safety, alot of extra lines and elektonics, that may couse trouble!?

Happy new year to the Flatcad crew:)!

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

3. Damn Buddy you do have the disease huh, after last years great sucess I would hate to see ya destroy a great piece and not enjoy the delight of setting gas records that will live for a while, walk before you run. Take it in slow steps while ya learn or else line your walls with broken parts......Happy new year..........Carl

4. oj

oj

Now if you go nitrous, i can help there. Lots of experience.

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Carl, I don't expect anyone to understand, but still, I'll try....

Records don't mean much to me, although some of the team members are fond of them! I didn't build this to run 150 or 160 mph. It's fun, but does nothing to satisfy my expectations and goals.

Rather, I expect this engine to be one of, if not the premier, flatheads in the world. This means 200 mph, and 800 Hp, in a coupe. It also means, at some point, in excess of 311 mph in a streamliner.

Therefore, I need nitro, or at the very least, NOS.

Parts are gonne break!:eek:

Have a Happy New Year!

6. Oh now I understand!!!!..............GO FLAT CAD!!!!!!!

7. I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I have a friend who runs a Studebaker at Bonneville with an injected 296 ci flat head who is considering running fuel. I am rebuilding a Studebaker for Bonneville and I've already dyno'd the 426 Hemi on gasoline, alcohol and 25% Nitro. Just switching to Alcohol was a big jump in power and with 25% pop gained another 130 hp.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

How much HP did the Hemi make on gas? How much on alky?

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Buddy you sound just like I feel about my early Oldsmobile.....yours will.... as mine will be.

Tony

10. I've attached the dyno reports. The engine is 426 cubic inch with Enderle fuel injection. A little back ground, I built the hemi with max compression Childs & Albert pistons however on the first dyno run the butterfly screws on the left bank came lose and was ingested into the engine, luck held with no major damage. On tear down it was found that these pistons were cutting off the flame travel and had to be machined to follow the contour of the combustion chambers. A lot of material had to be removed leaving a static compression of 10.35:1. So that brings us to the dyno reports that I've attached. There were a number of pulls on each fuel used to get the tuning at it's optimum. One problem that presented itself was the fuel pump, even though it was rated to supply enough fuel it did not. I had the Enderle 110 pump reworked to flow 14.6 gpm and replaced the 80a pump. Once the fuel curve came into line with the engine rpm solid power gains were produced.

Attached Files:

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Awsome info...Thanks for posting !

looks like on Gas, 592.2 hp w/ 510 peak torque

Alky, 703.2 hp w/ 597 peak torque

nitro, 799.6 hp w/ 677 peak torque

Great comparison and allot of time to get the info I bet..........Littleman

12. aaggie

aaggie

Back in 1961 when we first tried Nitro in our dragster we started with lower percentages and gradually worked up to about 90% for the last round when you ran it all in.

We learned that the best sponsers were machine shops and piston manufacturers. After a run we pulled the plugs and if they looked like they had been sprayed with Aluminum paint we backed off on the timing and % of fuel. The most memorable engine disasters were when a blower belt came off just before the traps and the engine went full lean at maximum power. It works like a cutting torch when you press the oxygen lever. Our Hilborn pump was driven by the blower, all eight pistons melted.

If anybody asks if you can twist a crankshaft or make it into a three piece paperweight, I can assure you a healthy dose of Nitromethane can and will.

13. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Used it in Harley tf bikes,white punk is dead on verry load sensitive. When we loaded the motor down we were able to just about turn all the bypasses backward to run as much fuel we could put into the motor. The biggest suggestion I can give is if you are using electronic ignition make shure you purge the motor EVERY time it is shut down after a run.Two to three drops of it was enough to blow the heads off more than one motor when the ignition was turned on and the plugs snapped. We also spiked it with propaline oxide and hydrazine.This was in the mid 90s so I'm shure a lot has changed. Good luck and be safe.

14. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

FWIW . . . . . . , the dominant (Speed and ET records as well as win percentage!!) Top Fuel Hydro of the '80's ran a water injection set up with a HUGE load in the tank.

I always thought this would be easy to set up on a Bonneville car. Just watch the EGT's and control it as need be.

Hydrogen Peroxide would also work well, I think. Same principle, just an extra Oxygen molecule.

Take care ,K

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Littleman [​IMG]
    Awsome info...Thanks for posting !

looks like on Gas, 592.2 hp w/ 510 peak torque

Alky, 703.2 hp w/ 597 peak torque

nitro, 799.6 hp w/ 677 peak torque

Great comparison and allot of time to get the info I bet..........Littleman

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Awesome! My guess is we can easily reach our HP goal!

Keeping it in one piece may be tough, though!

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by GOATROPER02 [​IMG]
    Buddy you sound just like I feel about my early Oldsmobile.....yours will.... as mine will be.

Tony

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Tony, I'm going to be in town a couple of days on the 10-11th. I'd like to stop and chat with you about the project, if you're going to be available.

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Buddy here's a vid off one of the other sites, It's not flatcads,liners or even bonneville ,BUT it is NITRO , Plus I forgot Pat Dakin is in Ohio also, Enjoy, Tim Jones http://vimeo.com/56321370#at=0

17. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

If this is who I think it is, LISTEN TO HIM!!!!

He talks the nitro language.......

Also Spud Miller at Fuel Injection Ent can set you straight...

Welcome to the SICKNESS!!!!

Your Pal, Gary

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ok Gary, so clue the rest of us in. Who, exactly, is WhitePunkOnNitro????

....And just as important, WhitePunkOnNitro, what going on with The Terrifying Terd?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  19. Can't wait to hear the FlatCad on juice.........

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I just got off of the phone with Rick Schnell, owner of 'Slider", the worlds fastest flathead dragster, with over 900HP.

Interestingly,he too only has 3 mains, Moldex crank, Crower rods, big crank girdle. He's running 60% nitro. He said sneak into the tune, and don't get gready. He says for every 10% nitro increase, he has to fatten the fuel return by .010. He says go .020-.030 to be safe.

Boys, if we don't go lean, I have to think we have a shot!

Forgot to mention, though, the block is aluminum filled.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  21. 296ardun

296ardun

Ran 100% with an unblown Ardun, ran 95% with blown Desoto...lots of good advice here (and appreciate the comment about John Bradley, he taught me how to run nitro)...never blew it up, but had real strong Wilcap mains...nitro likes lots of spark, so lead is important, load is important (see WhitePunk), and cam is important -- keep exhaust valves closed until just the right time (again, see WhitePunk), how do you know? after you blow it up....and have fun, that's what nitro is really about, that and paying the bills....

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I appreciate all the comments!

Dema Elgin is grinding us a special fueler roller cam, so I'm confident the cam will be right.

The rest, though, is gonna be a learning curve!:eek:

I have talked to a couple of funny car tuners, though, and am trying hard to get one on board with us!

23. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good to hear buddy, Remember once you go over to the dark side there's no turning back:eek:, Nitro is a bad bad drug:D Tim Jones

24. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I am a little curious,if the thinking is still the same for flathead as a t/f hemi. I know the trend is to open the exhaust 90 or so degrease Atdc with the thought there is another firing at 90 degree intervals. Intake valve closing should be pretty late for cyl press,just a thought and thinking out loud. Cam specs if you would?? I understand if you don't want to post them.

25. caddy346

caddy346

This is what i DREAM of! Good luck from down under:D

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

When Dema gets the cam done, I'm happy to share the details. I really haven't kept any secrets on this build.

Thank you!