Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 3100 daily driver build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sqrlnts, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I wouldn't make the 4X4 a show truck...it would be nice, but definitely something to be used. A diesel would be awesome, just not sure I'd go for an older diesel. If I was to go diesel I'd want a newer 6.7 Cummins Turbo...reliability, not too noisy, and bad ass.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

worked for cummins in their warranty department for 1.5 years. I can tell you that you want something older. Anything that is not mechanical anymore is just a pain in your butt, dont do it. Plus the design factor for "newer" engine has significantly decreased from 1 million miles to about 250k miles. Huge difference in quality.

3. apache matt

apache matt

I want to build a 55-59 chevy 1 ton with a good old 12 valve cummins and a nv4500 5 speed. I think that would be the perfect work truck.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

What couple of different diesels would be good ones to look for to do something like this?

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Mechanical injected 6bt. Better known as a 12v cummins. Get a 94 to earlyyy 98 with the p pump for easy power. I had one in a 97 dodge. Close to 1000 lb ft with little mods and it had 230k on it when i sold it. Ran like a top. Theyre easiest to find in 89 to 98 dodge pickups. The torque is insanee and there very easy to work on. Like 59 apache said, the newer motors are FAR from being as reliable as the old 6bt. My buddy blew an 06 commonrail at 120k. And the 6.7 will kill you on fuel. You should easily get 500k without a rebuild on a 12v. 750k and up is pretty easily doable if its maintained

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

also like apache matt stated, run a 5 speed. i bought my dodge with an auto and blew it to high hell. i didnt even beat it, i just dont trust the autos behind that much torque. i converted my truck to the nv4500 5 speed. pretty much bomb proof with the right parts. if you have questions shoot me a pm, i tore that whole truck down when i had it, 59apache can probably tell you a shitload too since he worked for them.

7. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Out if MIG wire, firewall is done for now, will require a gallon of bondo to look decent. Dammit Jim it's gonna be a driver not a looker.

[​IMG]

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

Sorry sqrlnts...didn't mean to hijack your thread. Welding that back together looks like it was a chore. I'd start a 4X4 upgrade thread but I think it would be too OT and ruffle some feathers. Maybe that old NAPCO thread? I'm going to do a search for what 5 speed is the best for these. I have set of axles out of a '78 Wagoneer that I planned on using. Dana 44 front...not sure what the rear is, but it's beefy. I would use an M465 4 speed mated to an NP205 transfer case (gear driven - no chains) if I went with the 396.

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Killer job on the firewall dude. Nice job as usual. I wish i was that ambitious!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

No problem Buzz, I am a new old diesel mech myself, loved the cummins Vids. Thanks green, dash is in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Already wrecked it Escher. :-O
    [​IMG]

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Awesome sheetmetal work. I feel like a lazy ass now watching you knock work out this fast

13. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Great work! I like that last pic. Escher for truck guys!
    Are any of you guys running the old 283?
    I see everyone running the 350.

14. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Fast, thats funny. Its all relative I suppose, it feels like I have been working on this new cab for ages now.

Thanks LeSabre.

15. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Ran a new braided rear axle brake line, also had to use a flexible braided line from the MC to the DS front brake due to it being way to crowded for the existing hardline. Ran a new AL fuel line and added an inline filter.
    Cab is back on the frame and doors are bolted in. Also fabbed up an alternator mount. Finally received the $29 JEGS muflers and finished welding up the exhaust. As I was bracing the rear step notch my welder took a shit, bummer.

Crappy pic
    [​IMG]

16. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Scored a beat fleet today, thanks Art you made my whole year bro!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  17. 57ChebbieTrk

57ChebbieTrk

Squirrel,
    You have a great start, with a solid cab, bed, etc. but take it from someone who has been there; if you really want to "lower the shit" outta this thing, please look into a decent ifs kit. And not a Camaro clip! You will like the low stance, better steering and brakes, and the fact that you didn't spend your cash on that dropped axle, bearings, and all the stuff to repair/rebuild it. Just my $.02
    Good luck!
    57ChebbieTrk

18. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Someday 57Chebbie someday. For now its onward and upward (or downward?) with the lowered solid axle and drums!!!!!

I AM SO STOKED I FOUND A SHORT WIDE!!!!!!!!

19. cakes

cakes

I am VERY jealous of that fleetside bed, I would love to have one for my truck

20. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thanks cakes, I am just stoked to have found the fleetside bed with the attached sticker below. I think the bed spears and hood spears go together. Happy New everybody!

[​IMG]

21. kennkat

kennkat

KOOL! "Driver" Builds are the best!

22. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thanks kenkat, it's never been driven but soon it will have the hell driven out of it

23. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Have mercy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  24. dubie

dubie

I know personally how hard they are to come by. It took me 6 years of searching to find a fully rust free, solid fleet side bed for my wife's 58 GMC. Now I have her rusty spare original bed that I'm going to do some patch work on and make a ca show trailer out of.

The truck is all coming together nicely bud. Congrats on the progress.

25. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Really coming along nicely!

26. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thanks Red, I removed two front leaf springs and the stance is looking better.

[​IMG]

27. cakes

cakes

Looks Great, I guess I'll Have to get a drop axle for mine soon

28. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Waiting on some parts in the mail, fan speed controller, shroud, and electrical smalls. Routed the trans coolant lines up to the radiator, sending out driveshaft for length adjustment, getting down to little stuff. Goal is to be driving in 30 days pending title/registration hassles.

I sold the stepside bed to a dude in Minnessota and donated the old 57' cab to a dude across town. My wife is now happy they are no longer in the front yard.

If you like modernized C/10 computer designs, check out this link. If your a purist don't bother.
    http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/showthread.php?268-Carter-Hickman-Designs

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Fleetside !!! Damn you i want one ! Lol. Good work man. And a camaro clip isnt a bad route to go at all, but i would probably go mustang II if i had the stock frame and wanted to redo the front. Mine came clipped with the camaro front, works great. But there are tons of great weld on mII kits with tons of great aftermarket components and you get rack and pinion over the steer box type with the camaro clips. Plus for the price of buying and rebuilding a camaro clip, you can weld in a bitchin mII setup

30. BAM55

BAM55

The truck is looking very nice. Nice work.