Register now to get rid of these ads!

Least expensive way to ship a rear housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've found a couple early 9" housings in Texas, but need to get them back here (SoCal) as inexpensively and easily (for the sellers) as possible. These aren't complete rears, just bare housings. How are other HAMBers getting items like this around the country?

2. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Wrap the ends in celophane and slap a pre printed ups label on it.

3. Depending on how many housings you are shipping strap them to a wooden pallet and ship using a Hamb hauler from the Hamb O Dex or buy a freight company. HRP

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If both you and the shipper are close to a Grayhound station that ships packages you can probably ship each of the empty housings on Grayhound for about 60 bucks. Just have them wrap it in shrink wrap and send it.

You might end up a bit better off to just pay a bit more for a rear end locally though. I just spend 100 on gas a couple of months ago to go get a 50.00 nine inch pickup rear end but my wife and I got a day trip out of it and had a great time in the process. I could probably have picked up a complete rear axle drum to drum locally for 150

5. Check to see if a Hamb shipper is going though the town. Maybe ask if a Hamber can get them and hold on to them until a hamb shipper comes by, then kick them down some $$, parts, booze...whatever they would like.

6. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Bare housings wouldn't be so bad, and greyhound would be a good source, but they would need to be packed up - Doubt they want anything greasy being that they are shipped with passenger luggage.

I used U-ship to get a complete '67 Firebird rearent from Kansas to CA. I think it cost $200 to ship and the rear only cost me $100 LOL. If the particualr rearend was local I would have paid $300 for it, so i didn't see it as being too bad since I got such a deal to start with.

7. ryno

ryno

Contact Ben d or truly vintage or maybe Marcy.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Fastenal is very cheap because they ship from their store to another of their stores. You have to go pick it up

9. Fastenal??? :confused: The nut & bolt place??? :confused:

Yep!

Here's your answer!

I've done it this way on many things that don't need a box and aren't going to get hurt.

Just stick a label on it and take it to FedEx, UPS or where ever.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Here's a little story about UPS. Not a big deal but weird. I shipped a saginaw 4spd from Ks to Calif once. Made a small 2x4 pallet, banded it to the pallet. Called my buddy and said, look for a small pallet. He called and said, it just arrived in a cardboard box, the throwout bearing collar is busted. I said What? They must have dropped the pallet then stuck it in a box. Lippy

11. adams27

adams27

I wouldn't use ups. Shipped some parts made of 8" sch80 pvc once. Came back to us busted to pieces. 8" sch80 pvc is tough stuff. We figure they must have dropped an engine block on it. It happened more than once. It's amazing what they can destroy.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

13. Wow! That's pretty wild!

I never knew that! (Ha Ha how many times has that been said on the H.A.M.B.:rolleyes:)

Thanks for this valuable info guys. :cool:

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

15. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Well, its like this... If its ln a skid and it looks like heavy duty thing, whatever it is, they will stack on it or at least try to. Then your driver will hit few bumps here n there and all the freight will shift. Resulting in damage, which companys do try to avoid. But its all about the numbers so they will stuff these trailers as much as possible. I think a lot of times it depends on a dock worker if he's doing his job properly. And also when you get your shipment, inspect before signing any papers. This way you can file a claim. Don't know about small shippers.
    And people who got their freight damaged... it happens on a daily basis to everybody from small to big corps. You can't predict what the driver in front of semi gona do.

16. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Anything of an odd size or over some weight limit (70# I think) is not the UPS thing......$$$$$$. I've used Fastenal probably 15 times in the last year.....both sending and receiving, and I'll continue to use them. The only down side is sender and receiver are responsible for delivery and pickup from the store. Crated, boxed, or palleted is their thing. AND....VERY IMPORTANT.....they will NOT handle sheetmetal parts if the stuff isn't completely enclosed in a crate, and secured to a pallet. Your shipment if bulky or extremely heavy (block or complete engine)will require a forklift obviously, for loading/unloading, and not all stores have one.
    The other part of using Fastenal is you won't receive you parcel as quickly as if UPS was involved.....and you don't have an option as to how quick for the shipment. The parcel is picked up from one store, goes to a regional distribution center, and is transferred....like UPS. Could be, if the truck going to your destination is full of Fastenal store orders or inventory, your parcel may have to wait for the next truck. Not likely, but possible. I've never had anything take more than 6 days door to door. And, if you a Friday outbound truck, the parcel sits all weekend until the next business day for trucking. Check with your local retail store, you may be surprised.

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

You will learn that NOBODY beats Fastenal prices

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's all in the packaging and provide hand holds for stuff likely loaded by hand.
    UPS alone handles 16 million items per day,shit gets slammed around.UPS and Fedex weight limit for package delivery is 150 pounds with size limits.

19. Do a key word search here using " transport ' or ' haul '

Maybe a member is going your way ... ;)

Post an ad under the ' Wanted ' section of the classifieds here

Join The HAMB Social Relay Group and post there

@ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=214

Good Luck !

Jim

20. Just a note.....

I was at my local Fastenal today and inquired about shipping. The clerk there didn't know anything about it and never heard anything about it. This person was not a new hire and has been with Fastenal for several years. So there may be more to this or it may be a certain area or coast specific.

21. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Had a bare 9" housing shipped to and from Indy via UPS from OKC. Just wrapped it in cardboard, took it to the local Office Depot, and away it went.

22. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Wadayacare.......Fastenal calls it 3rd party logistics. It's clearly available through their website, and, you probably dealt with a store employee who's never had occasion to deal with it. You can request your own rate quote through the website, when the quote comes back, print a copy and take it to the store with the parcel. And yes, the service is available for all their stores in the lower 48 (never tried Alaska) and I don't know about Canada. There is only one person in the home office who coordinates this, and she usually responds to your email quote request within 1 business day....mine have always been within 4-5 hours. If you supply me your direct email, I'll send you a copy of the last quote/invoice I have for a crankshaft from me to Wichita Falls TX. as an example.