Register now to get rid of these ads!

How can I tell if CA. plates are clear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Dec 31, 2012.

1. I'm in Missouri, and have a real nice set of 1938 CA. plates, but don't know if the number is clear. Is there a web site that I can check to see if they're usable to someone in CA.? Thanks.

2. Call CA DMV and ask them to see if the number is in their system. If it is not, then they are clear.

3. Oh, ok. I didn't think anyone would answer the phone there. I'll give it a try next week. Thanks, Dean

4. 56Firedome

56Firedome

When you call, have some snacks, and a movie going. It's gonna be a while...

5. Hhahahaha.. I'm still snickering at that one! Funny

6. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

There's a guy here that sells a lot of plates on Craigslist.I was going to buy a set from him.He told me that when you check if plates are clear with the dmv,you should only assume they'll be clear for 30 days.I guess they reuse numbers.

7. I know. That's why I was hoping I could look them up on the internet. I'm from CA. and know how the DMV works. About the only positive thing I can say about being in Missouri is the License bureau is easy. I actually look forward to going there.

8. iamhilarious

iamhilarious

You can also call this number 916-657-8035 that is what I have been doing, wait for the options and you can have them call you back.

9. You can look them up on the internet. Go to the personalized plates section, put in the numbers and letters and it will tell you if it is available.
    I've done it many times and haven't been led astray yet.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

1938 Plates were issued with the following (Number) (Letter) sequences:

NL NN NN
    N L NN
    NL NNN

these letter number sequences are not used on any post 1956 California plate, so if the number is in use it would be another vintage "YOM" plate, so the odds are in your favor that the number is clear.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

12. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

The best way to see if plates are clear is to put your hand behind one of them and wiggle your fingers. If you can see your fingers move, then they are clear. If not, then the plates are opaque.

Beanscoot likes this.
  13. evintho

evintho

Call CA DMV and they give you the option of having them call you back. It usually takes from 1/2 hour to an hour but they do call you back. Very convenient! No need to sit on the phone for an hour!

14. Thanks for the help guys, I did get my answer. The number isn't in use.

15. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Call the main California DMV in Sacramento at this number - 800-777-0133 - and use the callback prompt. They will call you back within a couple of hours and tell you right then. The web feature is not always accurate but the person that calls you back will look in their main system on the spot.

16. ccbb

ccbb

You could also try this.... Online
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/welcome.do?localeName=en

Search personalized plates on http://www.dmv.ca.gov if link does not work.

Enter the number you have under the personalized plate option.

Click - Auto, No and top (or any) plate option, NEXT

Put in numbers- (shows plate) NEXT

Then see if it says "Sorry, The plate you have requested is not available." near top - or not.
    If it says it's good, it might worth a DMV call to double check...
    ------------
    (See my wanted ad for artillery wheels, 5 lug hole, 5.5)

17. ccbb

ccbb

...by the way CA DMV announced it's going to start reproducing vintage plates!

Boy my old plate might have just lost some value....

Classic Car Owners Get A Chance At Vintage California Plates

California Legacy License Plates Available for Pre-Order January 1, 2013

Sacramento –The California Department of Motor Vehicles announced today it will be taking pre-orders for a new License Plate Program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plate designs issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's.
    The new program will bring a retro look to modern license plates by offering three classic license plate designs. Legacy License plates can be ordered for any year model automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The styles include black lettering over a yellow background seen in the 1950's, yellow lettering over a black background seen in the 1960's and yellow lettering over a blue background that was available originally in the 1970's. The plates cost $50 for non-personalized or personalized plates.