Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

squirell, let us know how that works (moving the volume..)

2. squirrel

squirrel

I got it finished...and I'm not too happy with it, but it should work for now. I will probably change the cord from the ipod cord, to a normal 1/8" plug. The problem is the volume control (called a level control on the unit) does not turn down all the way--it's plenty loud at low volume, and really loud at full volume. The ipod connector is a line output, so the ipod volume control does not affect it at all. That's why I'll probably convert it to use the headphone jack--then I can adjust the volume on the ipod to get a decent range, and use the volume control on the dashboard to quickly adjust it as needed, like when my phone rings, or the gal in the car next to me is complimenting me on my bitchin old truck.

also, the ipod connector is not a charger, just a line input. So you need to charge your ipod between uses.

Some pics. I used solder wick and a soldering iron to remove the solder from the volume control, then I added some wires between the control, and the circuit board, and put heat shrink tubing on the end. I ran the wires thru a grommet, which I put in the original level control hole in the end panel. I found a nut to fit the control, and used a couple 1/4" washers to make it fit the 1/2" hole in the truck's dash. I found an old vent knob, and drilled it to 7/32" and then partway thru 15/64, it fits sort of ok but not perfect.

I'll go for a drive later today and see how it works.

Attached Files:

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

OK, 6V guys (like myself)... Got this in the mail today. My new 6V to 12V inverter, which will allow me to keep my 6V system and run a modern 12V head unit (hopefully). Cost about 6 bucks plus s/h, and if it works I'll be a happy boy. Wondering where I should take the 6V IN from... Maybe the ignition switch? Or would I be better off running a line straight from the battery?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. squirrel

squirrel

How many watts is your head unit? How many amps is the fuse? You have 1.5 amps available, that's 18 watts, and that is the maximum rating. Let us know what happens!

You can connect it to either switched or battery power. It will only draw a few amps. Most modern head units have memory and use two power sources, one switched and one from the battery (this is the main power source).

5. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hi squirrel. I haven't got a head unit as of yet. I haven't decided whether I'm going to use an AM/FM CD unit or just run an iPod sort of thing. The 12V inverter was purchased more or less to drive the amp/speakers, which I'm certain won't work well off of 6V. I'm going to follow this thread a little longer before I make any decisions as far as a source. I'm in no real rush, and I figure the car has been without it for 60 years, so IT'S not in any rush either. I just want to do right by it.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Ok, just don't expect to be able to power much of an amplifier with it. It sounds like you don't really understand what volts and watts and amps are all about?

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

That is correct, good sir!

I know VERY little about electronics, except that I knew my sound system (whatever that may end up being) wasn't going to run on 6V. I've never been one of those stereo-heads, and I'll take clarity over volume any day. Not really looking to power much from this little doo-dad, just thought it might be nice to be able to keep my cell phone charged and make a little sound to hum along with the glass pack. Believe me, for the 6 bucks it cost, I'm not expecting much.

Any help or suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated!

8. squirrel

squirrel

Well....first off, look at the rated power output of the stereo. Then think about how you're going to get all those watts out, if you only have a MAXIMUM of 18 watts going in.

Just don't expect much for your $6.

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Lol, I'm thinking an iPod with portable speakers on the dash or something. Not expecting a whole helluva lot, other than 12V.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Little portable speakers should work. If you can find some that run off a 5v USB connection, then you dont even need the power converter.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I put a normal headphone plug on the end of the cable. Now it works ok.

If you are going to get one of these, I'd suggest the one with the 1/8" input jack, instead of the ipod connector

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMPA35-Channel-Amplifier-3-5mm/dp/B004HJ931M

Also, don't expect much from it as far as high quality sound, since it's a cheap piece of crap. But it looks like it will do all I need in my old truck.

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

Squirrel, I don't recall the diagram, would a higher value pot pull the volume down to "controlled" levels on one if you already had the iPod jack?

13. squirrel

squirrel

I think it's because of how the circuit is wired, I didn't trace it to see how it works. The value of the pot should not really matter too much, if it's connected like a normal volume control.

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

Squirrel, I have a 400 watt 6 (or 8) channel Pioneer amplifier from around 1995 or so. It's never been used, new in box, and I paid a pretty penny for it back then. I also have a new set of crossovers, a set of never-been-used 6x9 3way ceramic Pioneer speakers circa 1998, a set of 5 inch Alpines circa 1993 (slightly used) for the kick panels and a set of 2.5 inch Pioneers to go into the center above windshield stock speaker box. I can get any inverter I need (600w, 1000w, etc) at cost, so that's not an issue.

I was going to use a new head unit in my 56 Chevy pickup and try to hide it, but I like this idea much better. How could I, if possible, have my iPod feed into the amplifier, but also have my stock stereo do the same so I can switch between them? (I'm an AM talk junkie) Please keep in mind that I am not, nor have I ever been, very adept at installing auto stereo equipment. It's kind of ironic though, because you can give me 10 different pieces of home stereo equipment from different eras and I can make the thing sound like an opera house.

Also, a little concerned about running the battery down by using the inverter. Is there a relay I should consider, or maybe an auxiliary battery?

Thanks for any help...

16. squirrel

squirrel

What do you mean by your "stock stereo"? is this the hidden head unit? or the old AM radio? or what?

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

The original AM stock unit.

18. squirrel

squirrel

It would probably be easiest to leave the stock AM radio and speaker as they are, and figure out another place to put the tweeters. going from the radio output, to an amp input, would require impedance matching and an attenuator, as well as a switch. It could be done, but I don't have the expertise to figure it out...I'd have to ask my brother, and that may or may not work out.

19. I did the I-Pod/I-Phone jack, no head unit deal and I love it! A pair of 6x9s, 1 in the front stock location and one in the rear stock location, a 12" sub for a little bump and WOW! The '62 Galaxie is a blast now! I got this information off the other thread by the Boss(Ryan) on these installs and several friends have done them also.

The control system, once tuned in is tucked away, I just leave the cable out and a knob on the console for volume, the switch is to turn the system on and off.

[​IMG]

The amps and bass controler on a neat little rack out of the way.
    [​IMG]

20. wendle

wendle

Copied the info from this thread and put a setup into my daily driver Pilothouse.
    Just used stuff I had around. The speakers are good quality, the amp is questionable.
    Mounted a cigarette lighter socket in there to get a charge lead as well (using and Android phone).

It's breaking up and distorting a bit at higher volumes, I need to play with the settings on the amp. Maybe turn the gain up so the input volume doesn't have to be turned up as high?
    I also need to rubber mount it, the old cab has some rattles and vibes I never knew it had :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a friend who manages a car audio business here in town and has been installing stereos and entertainment systems professionally for a good 10 years now. I'm not quite ready to have him help me figure this out, but once he does and I have pics and parts I'll post it all here.

The plan is to have the AM radio AND the iPod run through the same amp and drive the same speakers. He thinks it's doable, but he did mention that impedance will be the main issue that needs to be resolved.

Gotta love the HAMB

22. squirrel

squirrel

If it's the tube AM radio, then he would probably want to get the signal from the radio before the output stage, and would probably need to use a transformer to get the voltage down to 1 volt which is a normal level for input to an amplifier.

I was thinking about AM radio this morning...I'm gonna make a Two Lane Blacktop type trip this week in my 55, and I was lamenting how AM radio isn't what it was 40 years ago.

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, it has gone downhill...lack of interest and funding / advertising has killed it.

He mentioned something about using different channels in the amp for different functions. I'm not an audio buff, but I think it was something about how my 8 channel amp is really a 4 channel amp and can be used differently for different purposes. Hell if I know... Like I said, when he gives me the lowdown I'll pass it on.

24. joee

joee

after seeing the prices of the amp.....it's much less to just use a radio with a ipod port

25. squirrel

squirrel

I just put a little Pyle PLMPA35 in my 55, cost about $25 for the amp. Seems to work. The amp is behind the block off plate, I replaced the end panel of the amp with the plate I made. Yes, I'm going for the race car look, you can make it look like whatever you want.

Attached Files:

26. ChipperJones

ChipperJones
    from Chicago

27. Thxx for the tip

28. upspirate

upspirate

I installed one of the small amps like Squirrel's,but I want to have a remote 3.5 plug under my dash for several reasons.

I thought of this one, but it has RCA cables,and I need a 3.5 cable male end to plug into the amp.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50197&classNum=50204#.UOJMIKD4JOQ

Anyone know where to get the same with 3.5 plug or what they are called to do a search?

Radio Shack guys looked at me like I was from Mars!!!

29. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

This is what I will be using without the included speakers
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P16GY0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

100 watts, FM radio, USB, SD Card, audio input and wireless remote for uour key chain. Just plug in a 15GB USB loaded with your favorite music in hide the whole unit under the dash.

I currently have one installed on one of these

[​IMG]

Gary

30. upspirate

upspirate

You could mount the speakers at the base of the windshield corners like dummy spotlights!!!

Cool set-up!