Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mighty Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Clik

Clik

My mom worked for P.G. Police under a Major Vincent Ducellier back in probably the early ninties. I think he was in the Internal Affairs Division.

2. Future Stock

Future Stock

In the late 80s, early 90's, Vince was Chief of the North Beach Police Department for a short time.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was the one that ran over Tubby's dog. Boy did I feel like shit. He had those plain heavy clear plastic seat covers installed on his 65 Malibu HT.( L-79 327-350 with a 4spd and a 4.11 rear) just for that dog. The dog must have been asleep and didn't wake up when I got into the car. Yes Tubby lost his best friend that night and I killed him. I had no idea the dog was asleep under my car. Tubby was a great guy. I still have the partially built Big Deuce that he gave me. It was so sad when he had a tumor removed from his brain and was never the same again.

I could not pick Vince out of a line up. He was a figure head as far as I know. I only saw him once or twice in all my years at the club. Tubby was a fixture.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If anybody is reading this thread here are some clones of the cars that were in my story of the Wed night test and tune story. Post 219

[​IMG]

Without the wheels this was Tubby's L-79 Malibu that was towing this car....

[​IMG]

This IS Sonny Willett's 34 Chevy with the 394 Olds. He blew the hydro that night. He drove it up but it was towed home who ever Tubby towed up there that night drove it home so Sonny could get home..

[​IMG]

Again except for the wheels this is a clone of my 38 Chevy that spun a bearing that night in its Chrysler 383 power plant. Straight axle, black paint, stance and and the axle spacer blocks to get that stance. Put 6 lug chrome wheels on the front and the similarity would be uncanny.

5. charleyq

charleyq

Well, I guess I'm geezin at warp speed. At least I think I got the dog's name right. This is what years of painting without a respirator will do to the gray matter. Or maybe it was the 333 trichloroethane at American Instrument Co. Twenty years of exposure at Calvert Cliffs? I know! Virginia Gentleman bourbon...Years ago at Routt's Cycle was a guy name of John King. I understand from Pepper Wysong that John is still riding, and has been seen at various swaps/shows on the East Coast. John used to put up with my '54 Triumph from time-to-time, but he was Sonny's Harley mechanic. I have found a couple of cool photos of Richard Jones riding his Trumpet, and Jim McConnell on one of his trikes. I know there are more photos from the Mo era around here. Soon as I figure out how to scan them, I will post. Stay tuned...C.Q.

6. Clik

Clik

Love old pics from the Hyattsville area. Can't wait!

7. I need a Hot Fudge Cake:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  8. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

Went to h.s. Across from capitol plaza .... Got my license in 65 lived in east riverdale and cruised the 2 mo's damn near every night . Do you remember when the 2 brothers flipped into a front yard on aeger rd in a black 63 plymouth . Bought a 67 barracuda from one in 1970 .. I think his name was corey but not certain . He lived near toys r us on university blvd ... Any body remember the wreck ?? Him ?? His 67 copper fast back with a 413 in it ??

9. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

i remember the "j".... it had blue plexi windows and a solid axle and was radical for a street driven car in the day .... My memory of the color was an orangy red like the mustang poppy red color but memories do fade and i could be wrong about that.... From mt ranier do you memba the dude with the maroon hudson coupe ?? He was my uncle's next door neighbor ...do you memba the dairy in mt ranier ? my first real job was there boxing milk as it was being bottled (cartoned) ..there was a guy that had a black 57 bonny fuelie parked there a lot .....:d

10. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

CAN'T BELIEVE AFTER READING ALL THE B/S IN THIS THREAD NO ONE HAS EVEN MENTIONED THE "RAMBLIN ROSE" !!!!! :mad:EVERY MO RAT SHOULD REMEMBER HER !!I THINK THE GUY'S NAME WAS ROGER PENNINGTON AND HE HAD A ULPHOLSTERY SHOP IN THE MARLOW HGTS AREA. HE BOUGHT THE 65 BELVEDERE ALUMINUM FRONT END FROM MY BOSS AT KAPLAN & CRAWFORD DODGE (NOW DARCARS) ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT / HIM ??:confused:

11. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

right dammed now !!!!!!!

12. Clik

Clik

The henry J might have been an orange red but definitely had blue plexi windows that slid open rather than rolled down. The front end was definitely nose up giving me the impression it had a straight axle but some guys were putting those twisty things in the coils back then, so, I could be wrong. I was probably ten or twelve at the time I saw it and got the fever.

I remember a maroon Hudson that sat in the area of Mt Rainier just up hill a couple blocks from Thomas Stone Elem. School. I'm thinking it was around 33rd and Upshur.

13. Clik

Clik

I remember Harvey Dairy right at the bridge that went over the railrod tracks into Colmar Manor/Cottage City.

14. I remember "Ramblin Rose", it was Bob Pennington who had a little hole in the wall Upholstry shop in Hillside/district heights off of Marlboro pike, He did the top on My roadster. He also drove several top fuel dragsters, Butch Lehmans "American Way" and Boggs and Farley's "Mountain magic".
    He lived in a houseboat at Ft. Washington and I heard He got in some kind of legal trouble and eventually commited suicide. The Ramblin Rose was one of the first really radical street cars I ever saw, Altered wheelbase,aluminum front end and all!

15. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

yep ..that's the one alright ...my uncle was a diehard studebaker man a had one parked on the street as he never used his d-way ....i never saw the hudson on the street next door but he had a fit getting in his steep and narrow d-way.those streets were narrow as hell when cars parked on it!!

16. RT HEMI

RT HEMI

harvey dairy !!!!! I worked there and couldn't remember the name !!!!!!!wow .. You are really stirring up my grey matter now !!

17. Clik

Clik

We're picture whores 'round here. Send any ya got.

18. Clik

Clik

I found this old DC area car club pic on The Blog Our Redneck Past under "Hot Rods". I tried to copy the pic over here but it didn't work.

http://ourredneckpast.blogspot.com/

19. Interesting website, Clik. I didn't remember the Tuller Family story from the late 60's-early 70's. Fascinating read.

20. Risky

Risky

Man I love listening to older guys reminisc about the old days and all the cool cars and cruising. I wish I woulda been there but in my area if ya know what I'm saying. I have thorowly enjoyed reading this thread start to finish. Oh and btw I now want to see a pic of the red hj and also want some of that hot fudge cake:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Clik

Clik

My brother stays in touch with a friend who was involved in that brawl/murder at the Ria. I attended a couple of parties at the blue house that is pictured. I always kept my nose clean but crossed paths with a whole bunch of crazy people.

22. Clik

Clik

We felt the same way about the generation before us but made our own memories. Young hot rod and M/C enthusiasts should get out there and live before you get too old.

23. ......Somehow I missed that reference to the Ria, ( I'll go back and re-read) but I assume it is the old RIA bar on Rhode Island Ave. just inside the D.C. line. Funny, but for the longest time when I heard friends refer to the place, it didn't dawn on me what R.I.A. was short for. I was only in there once or twice. We seemed to gravitate more to the Family Tavern or Fred's Inn in the area of 12th and Monroe Streets in the Turkey Thicket area of D.C. near Catholic University.;) Memories, memories, some not always good ones!

24. Clik

Clik

I grew up in Mt Rainier but by bar age I was hanging in Chillum and hitting Fred's and also Dick and Gary's (early seventies). I think I spent as much time outside as inside as I was always worried about my car or motorcycle. I much prefered hanging at McDonald's Adelphi, Sergeant Road Shpping Center or Chillum Heights Drive. I was in Fred's one night when some guys retaliated from a previous weekend's ass kicking. They threw pepper gas canisters inside. A friend and myself stayed inside clearing the mass of overturned tables and chairs out of the isles so that we could get a guy who was left sitting in his wheelchair out.

25. ..........Did you ever spend any time at any of the Clancy's or Shepherd Park on Ga. Ave?

26. Clik

Clik

I was only in those places a couple of times. I knew one of the guys who may have been part owner of one of the Clancey's locations. I think he went by Big John back then. He was later pegged with the name Grizzly when he joined Tribes M/C. He was a pretty smart guy. Deeper than people gave him credit for. Talented in many ways.

27. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Right down the street from our house. We were on Ray drive across from Takoma Junior High. This Sunoco was right at the innersection Dale Drive and where we had to collect our impounded cars and motorcycles many, many times.

28. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I would be willing to waiger the two debutantes were driving either a Triumph Herald or a 50 Desoto (which was nicknamed Herman). The driver was my Ruth Ann. Her passenger was Goldie Hawn. I have pictures of many of their "outings" raising hell. I'm not sure about Goldie, but ma was always fond of flipping the bird and she was a regular at the Mo. Later she was down there with her T-bucket (RamRods logo on it). I still have her "Mo" pins too.

29. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Dick(Dickie) and French(Frenchie) Grimes? Would have been a 56 Chevy. They also ran a 50/51 Ford sedan but also a purple Studebaker that got dubbed the "Lavender Lump".
    Back then they kept swapping the tags from one car to the other cause one brother (niether admits it) swiped a stack of blank registrations from DMV. They did it so often that the local police in DC, PG, and Silver Spring would grab any car with the SK-110 license plate cause it was bound to be good for several equipment/moving violations.
    I still have the tags. Dick is my dad. My uncle French dogs him out about everything they used to do. One of the best times was my uncle telling all these stories with my mom there and watch my dad try to cover his ass.
    I was hurt pretty badly street racing in the same places (V street, rte50, Univ. Blvd, etc) and it was pretty comical for both parents (who were long split) reminisce fondly about a time period and how I followed suit.

30. Clik

Clik

OK, Grimes. You know we're picture whores. Warm that scanner up!

I used to work out of a little two car garage in an alley at 4th and Butternut N.W. back in the early seventies. Drove by your place many times. Latter our shop moved to Brookeville Road and I used Piney Branch to Dale every morning heading to work.