Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Old California guys Know this car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, May 11, 2009.

1. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Wrong Nappy,Good guys did an article on the car as told by the owner of the property where the car sat.Actual owner of the car maybe up in the air at this time.I do know an offer of $35,000 was turned down on the car as it was in the pic I took of it in the field

2. Rikster

Rikster

WOW... if that is really true they turned down an offer of $35,000... then I'm worried if we ever will see this car restored again.
    That a lot of money for those remains. Sure its a Jimmy Summers Custom - which are rare, but so are the Ayala Custom Cars, and the Jack Stewart 1941 Ford was sold for $ 25,000 at a R&M auction... and that car was drivable!!!

So I guess the new owner of the car (or is it still owned by the same guy who "stored" it in the field, but has since asked somebody to store it inside?) has no plans to restore it himself?

3. someone needs to sort this clown out and get this car in the hands of someone who will give it the respect it needs, can't beleive anybody would negect a car with history like that.

4. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Amen. All it would take is a plane ticket, and a suitcase full of money. I guess.

5. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Two months later ... any news on this one?

6. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Heard they all balls out on it and its rolling.Just what I heard.It is in cape able hands I am told.Like to find out more about it but it is being kept quiet.I hope who ever it is ,,has the means and the proper direction to do the car justice LIKE PUTTIN it back the way summers built,it,Anything less would be a shame.this winter going to have to get where the the car is and tryin get a pic or two .But I have seen a picture in its current state

7. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Another bump. Any news on this survivor? I hope?

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Here is an interesting side light on this car. For those who thought it was copied off the Jaguar, I knew this was not true. Chrysler had a show car with the same fadeaway fenders years earlier. It was called the Chrysler Newport. Five of them were built and released for public showing in the fall of 1940, to coincide with the introduction of the 1941 Chryslers. One paced the 1941 Indy 500. So more likely Jaguar and Summers/Fairman copied Chrysler.

Not until I looked up the Newport did I realize how true this was. Look at these pictures, notice how similar they are. The grille, bumper, headlight treatment, front fenders, fadeaways, rear fender and skirts, tail light treatment, sunken license plate could all have come from the same drawing board.

See the Newport in action at Indy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHjlTzaX4o

Here are some more pictures.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...n-restored-for-another-trip-across-the-block/

There were 5 Newports in all, 4 of them had hidden headlights, only the Indy Pace Car had the chrome headlights.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1941/phaetons/index.htm

So now it looks like the car's style was copied off the Newport. Did Summers or Fairman see a Newport at a car show, or at Indianapolis? Or were they inspired by a magazine article, advertisement or newspaper photo? I don't suppose we will ever know, but the resemblance is remarkable.

The car should definitely be restored to its 1946 form. It is an important part of history, flaws and all.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

.................... Later ..........................

Looking at the photos of the car on the trailer, it appears to have 35 Ford rear fenders. The 35 and 36 are nearly the same except the 35 is more concave, the 36 more convex in other words bulged out at the back. So is it a 35 with 36 grille or a 36 with 35 fenders?

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

there's just no end to the do-nothing idiots that somehow get ahold of great cars and are "going to fix it up someday"..holy shit.

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Bump.

Guessing this one is still sitting. Prove me wrong.

12. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Three month bump!

13. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Another three-month bump, even if it's two months and three weeks. Rikster, any news on this one? Hoping it's indoors.

14. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

maybe O/T, but I'm intrigued by this truck/trailer thing. What makes it tick?

15. Theo , 5 1/2 months is long enough to read the thread and look at the pics to see that the car is indoors and is reported to be in the process of restoration!

~Alden

16. This is one I can't wait to see.Lets just hope the owner is going to bring it back to it's early glory.What a great looking early custom.

17. Rikster

Rikster

No news... Wish there was.

Got some other good news though... Bill DeCarr's 41 Mercury is almost done!

18. Rikster

Rikster

No news on the restoration. But RBAntique posted these three photos of the car I had never seen before... GREAT! The come from the Zeke Carrillo Collection.
    More stuff to work from for the guys who restore it... at least I hope somebody is working on it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Damn shame its still sitting....

20. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Wow! Great pictures Rik! I wish we could get an update!

21. Rikster

Rikster

Still no updates... My contact is not responding. Hope somebody is still planning on saving this great early Custom Car.

While browsing the AHRF site I came across this great photo of Bob Fairman's 1936 Ford. It gives us a great look at the very smooth fade away fenders as well as the clean rear of the car with the very elegantly raised rear fenders, the set in license plate behind glass and 1939 Ford taillights.

AHRF photo

[​IMG]

22. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

maybe somone sould just clone it, wasnt the car real rusty??

23. burt21

burt21

Very nice custom! Not really my kind but it needs to be saved.Does'nt matter what it is or who do it a rod is a rod and they all need savin.

24. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Another great picture Rik! I wonder whats going on with this one?

25. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

Let hope that we all get some Good news about this old Summers Custom in 2013 !! :)

26. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

The last I got on it his friend called me looking for a good frame since I have a 36 in project.Man these guys are keeping this car under total wraps.I keep trying to get some pictures.

27. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Almost 18 months later, any news?

28. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I'm guessing that this one isn't getting "restored" or that somebody cut a deal with "goodguys" for an exclusive on it?

If "goodguys" is in on the resto God help us all. Billet wheels and grille with a nasty Easter egg colored paint job wouldn't do this car justice.

I hope my instincts are wrong on this one.

29. missysdad1

missysdad1

I share gc427's concerns. Depending upon the whims of whoever is PAYING for the restoration it could go in a lot of different directions...some of 'em not so pretty.

What also disturbs me is that the car may emerge, restored or ruined as the case may be, without ever having a single photo taken for historical purposes.

Secrecy of this magnitude is unusual if all is on the up-and-up...

30. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Any updates on this "project?"

It would be a shame to see this old custom rot away.