Register now to get rid of these ads!

These cars need to be saved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ga66mopar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Couple of pics from Google. Lots of cars there for sure.

Attached Files:

2. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

That imperial looked decent . Would be nice to see it end up with someone that would fix it ,and not smash it.

3. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

My God that guy has a lot of cars. Thanks

4. BobbyFullen

BobbyFullen
    from Kerrville

I run into this all the time,living in the Texas hill country there are some amazing cars found and the owners won't sell,not for any amount!

5. im not gonna open the link because it will just piss me off , id love to have 59 or 60 chevy someday

6. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

I know!! I used to have one years ago....

7. Model T1

Model T1

Before the owner reads some of these posts here, and other places, and gets pissed, read the last few posts on the thread. Some of you could cause him to scrap things he wouldn't have.
    He's just a guy who got caught up in saving cars and now has more than he can handle. Stop bitchin and go buy something.

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

No one has mentioned that there is a rag top there too! Not just the elcaminos and the delivery and such, but there is a convertible too! That would be my pic of the 59/60 chevs, my pic of all the cars would be the 71 roadrunner but I am a mopar guy at heart. Jim

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Unless somebody wants to pay what they are worth over scrap they will go.
    Working at a salvage yard that was crushing out almost daily some yay-hoo would stop by and moan about crushing and want to buy a car.
    Usual offer was $100 which they expected the owner to take so the car could be "saved"
    When it was mentioned the car was worth $450-500 in scrap weight the "buyers" always got indignant whining the car wasnt worth it just for parts.
    My guess is that the owner has already had a few of the "saver" types drop by.
    Like rustynewyorker stated and I am of the same ilk,not in the charity business.Dont know many guys who are.Pay up if you want one if they can be bought.

10. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I agree with Rusty New Yorker & partsdawg. Reality has finally arrived. If you want it you have to pay for it. Lots of good cars have been crushed lately because it is far easier to get paid without whining. Examples "I have to haul it x amount of miles, I only need this off of it, You're just going to crush it anyway." Recently I had a 57 Ford 2dr wagon that was missing the rear axle and windows, some rust. I pulled the few pieces I wanted off of it and headed for town. Guy pulled me over on the Interstate. Wanted to know what I was going to do with the wagon. I offered to deliver it to his house about 25 miles away, and put it where he wanted it with my roll back truck for $200. He wouldn't go for it, but insisted on telling me I shouldn't scrap it. Hauled it across the scales, got my $327.59 with no hassles and left. I'm very tempted to part out the rest of my inventory and scrap the shells. Tired of dealing with people. Hate to be bitter, but I had to bale about 350 50's vintage cars years ago, because people thought my yard was a museum, and they should be able to stroll around , waste my time, and not buy anything. I even tried to auction the cars off. I couldn't even get $35 dollar bids on better than half of the cars. If you think I'm telling a story I'll be happy to post pictures, but you won't like seeing 57 chevy 4dr's going into the crusher.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Hope there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

12. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

By the time a car wont bring above scrap value then its probably too far gone to do much with or undesirable and is ready to be crushed.

Some time those old junkyard owners can be a bit weird and at times real pricks. I went to a junkyard near me a couple of times and if you didnt pay what he wanted for parts he would say he didnt give an F anymore and would just scrap it. Guess its a hard business to be in.

Cant imagine all those would actually get crushed, plenty there that would be worth well above scrap, unless he to just doesnt give an F anymore.

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I've got a freind that just sold a59 el camino for 5000,it wasn't any better than those.But they do belong to the owner,so it is what it is.

14. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

15. these ppl make me sick.it makes ours worth more tho i guess. its a damn shame.why cant we crush crappy 80's cars instead? smash the 4 doors and sale the rest. he could fund to build a handful of them with the money from selling the rest. asshole

16. txturbo

txturbo

Most of the time its the city pressuring the land owner to clean it up or the kids of the deceased owner that is doing the crushing. In the first case there is a time limit, so crushing is the quickest easiest way out. In the second case, they just want to sell everything at once for some outrageous amount. I've experienced it both ways. The last place I found I was able to save 2 cars because that was all I could afford and all I had room for. The widow had a deadline to cleanup the property. Out of about 75 cars I think she sold about 15. She had about 15 acres full of stuff from the 40s and early 50s. Two hole rows about 75 yards long with only 41-48 Chevy cars. About a third of them were coupes. She only wanted scrap price for them, which at the time was about $150 each. She also had a building on the property that was full of vintage 40s accessories and replacement parts. She wanted $100K for everything...but you still had to dispose of the cars before the deadline or pay a huge fine.

17. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

There was a guy in Pittsburgh like that when I lived there. He had a lot full of them in the Strip District including at least three convertibles. I tried to buy some parts for the convertible that I had, which wasn't even as solid as his. "Them's my brother's cars" was all the response I got. One day they were all gone. He decided to corner the market in '50s Lincolns including about a half-dozen Mark IIs. Then those were gone and it was Jaguars. Go figure.

18. Grumbler

Grumbler

No your thinking of Osoyoos thats just over the border. Oliver is about an hour down the highway from there but your right, it's semi desert and very dry

19. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Man there's lots of cars there and yes it would be a shame if they were all crushed or if they sat there and rotted and I used to think that folks were stupid or crazy jerks that didn't let loose with stuff especially when they had a bunch of it just like the example here, that is until I grew up a little bit. Think about it, unless the owner inherited this property with the cars or bought the property and they were there when they bought it, then he has probably spent a good portion of his/her life collecting this stuff just like many of those on this message board have spent a lot of time or in some cases a lifetime looking for the cars and parts they have. I know I have spent some time hunting for the different cars and odds and ends to make them into what I dreamed of making them into.

So is there really any difference between this guy and you or I? So his collection is larger than yours and/or less organized, maybe it could be said it’s out of control. I guarantee there are people and places with more than this guy has and maybe less organized….should all their cars be “saved” too? My guess is if the guy had the resources, that whole collection would be inside and also be fixed up just like the ones in the main post today in the dream garage in Beverly Hills. Think about it, I bet there might be some folks somewhere who think the Pierson brothers coupe should be somewhere where it can be viewed by the whole world on a regular basis… just because some people may think that, does that mean that what Bruce Meyer is doing with it is wrong? Does someone need to “save” the pierson brothers coupe from a life of seclusion? Sounds pretty silly doesn’t it, but it’s the same thinking.

Back to the guy with the outdoor collection, I bet if you offered to build him a storage shelter or steel building he would let loose with one or two of those cars maybe. Did you try to make friends with the guy and offer to help him get some of the cars on the road. My guess is he’s been hassled so much by folks who want to walk around and look taking photos to show their friends so they can hate on the guy because he has all those cars and they don’t or they want to “save” parts off of his complete cars or “save” something like his 59 convertible for $1000 or less that he is over messing with it. :/

I think the idea that if someone has more than another then their collection of whatever should be redistributed to those with less is the same wrong thinking that is behind a lot of the mess our country is in and the wrong direction it’s heading. So this guy has a whole bunch so he should let those who have less have some... ?? I sure wish there were this many people interested in a ’59 el camino when I had mine for sale here in the classifieds! ☺ haha It was listed here for a reasonable price and all I got were tire-kickers and cry-babies that wanted to pay just over scrap value, (car is no longer available) Don't get me wrong, i want to pay as little for the cars/parts I buy just like anyone else as I have a limited budget to work with. Seriously though, think about it. Would you let some stranger come in and pick through your life long collection and then sell him your best stuff you've collected all your life for just a bit above scrap value? Since he has a bunch does that mean the stuff should be super cheap? If someone has a bunch of cars and isn't doing what you think they should with them, does that mean that you should have them? Some could probably argue that Bruce Meyer or Jay Leno can only drive one car at a time so they should let others have a chance to own some of their cars, afterall cars are made for driving and there’s no possible way they could drive and use them all…that arguement which is essentially the same seems pretty stupid to me too.

If the cars are going to be crushed and you are able to buy them before that then that is "saving" a car. But if someone has a collection that is unorganized or looks like it's been sitting for a long time then I fail to see how someone else can decide that it’s their business to figure out what needs to happen with them. How do you know this guy isn’t a hamber and watching all the comments you guys have written concerning his collection, think what you wrote is going to make him want to sell you anything now? You think you can shame the owner into doing what you think he should do with his property?

At the end of the day a person's property belongs to them. I realized this especially recently when I was trying to "save" a fifties gas station from getting demolished, I made many efforts, but didn't file court papers or get legal about it and I could have probably made a case to save it and it might have worked. And I would love more than anything to have saved a vintage gas station and have a place to work on my many cars that are sitting outside that others might think need to be saved… but I didn’t try a legal road with the gas station because I thought, how would I like it if other people went to court to try to tell me what to do with my property. We have a classified section here usually filled with some good cars for sale and in many cases the owners are motivated to sell and I’ve used the classifieds to buy and sell and had success with both and gotten some really good deals and missed out on some good deals too. I say all of this with the utmost respect, if you guys have cash and are looking to buy a car or parts for a fair price, there are plenty in the classifieds that are for sale.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur