Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Art of the Headlight location.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

It seems minimal. Probably a dumb ass question. But after seeing the "Quad headlights on a Model A" thread, It was apparent that location is VERY important on fenderless cars.

Are there certain guidelines to follow? Or is it a free for all?

Is it O.C.D. to think they should have guidelines? I'm thinking maybe level with the top of the tires and parallel with the radiator shell?

If this is dumb, report it. But I have looked at a lot of photos and attempted to search for this using multiple terms.

Any input?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    dmw56 likes this.
  2. This is a great idea for a thread on a very important subject.

When Pat Ganahl was running the 'newly returned' Rod and Custom

magazine, he wrote an excellent article on this very thing.

Maybe someone might have a copy they could scan and post up :)

CM

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I personally think it depends on the car, and a bunch of other factors, including size and style of headlight. If I were putting headlights on a Model A (which I'll do someday because I'm already building it in my mind), it would take me a week of looking at them in various locations to decide where they would go.

nunattax likes this.
  4. The wrong placement can ruin a car. The correct placement doesn't necessarily make a car.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where they look the best. Mock it up, a hundred times, if you have to. That's how I roll.

swade41 likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Low and out front.. Just my preference...

Attached Files:

Just Gary likes this.
  7. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

First, check and see if there's a state law that speaks to this subject. Some early so cal hot rods, for example, had lights mounted "too high" -- at least by contemporary aesthetic standards -- because Cali law required them to be something like 24" above the road surface.

Once you're sure you're not gonna become "bait" for local cops, do what pleases your eye. Your suggestion of using the top of the tire as a reference point is a pretty good one. But I'd vote with those who say lower is better.

8. eddie1

eddie1

That goes for more than just headlights!

9. Beau

Beau

I never even thought about local laws. Great point.

10. daddio211

daddio211

BINGO! Duplicate this look and you'll be cool too!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I believe what counts is what has been called "Preference"...it's YOUR car, you have to drive it, use your judgement and make it look how YOU want it to...there are no laws in hotrodding.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Easy for you to say. Sadly there are more laws in hotrodding than we know about and the right cop at the wrong time will let you know.
    Just one, scrub line.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

14. Model T1

Model T1

Those are not low... But look great out the front.

15. I believe it depends on what era your aiming for,,on my old roadster it had a 60's style height to the headlights.

[​IMG]

Chopper had basically the same thing on his 3 window. HRP

[​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

Too low like that is goofy looking......and illegal

They will get smashed if anyone backs into you. Hotrodprimer got it just right

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh, there's low shot's of her. Just can't post em

18. My preference is usually to mount them low. On our 32 roadster, I run a set of old style guide lights that are kinda big and beefy compared to some. I mounted them as low as possible and somewhat forward. Would have gone lower but they kissed the upper shock mount (F100 style) Kept breaking the mounts so had to re-engineer the mounts which required moving the lights about 2" up and 2" forward. We used a modified A headlight bar and had to modify it again. Still kept them as low as possible...

They are low and out front like Jane's!

19. A Boner

A Boner

Not way low, not too far forward, and if they are small size headlights, not too far apart......different guidelines for different size headlights.

20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

In my opinion, the line from the top of the tire meets the bucket somewhere between the center to the top of the headlight it's just right.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are hundreds. Most fall into one category: PHYSICS.:eek:

22. Yep,this is an important issue, it is something that I have always noticed. There has been plenty of great cars quite often spoilt just by poor headlight positioning. Too far back and too high = bad in my book. -H.R.D.- Oh, and please have a happy and safe new year!

23. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Perfect timing for this conversation as I just mounted my lights yesterday.And when you talk about dilema it is quite true as this job should have taken me an hour and yet I spent all day on it.I just recieved the headlight brackets and they have a left and a right.Well it is possible on my setup that I could actually use them both ways with them not looking to funky.So after a lot of deliberation and on one way and then the other,I actually drilled the holes on the chassis rails so that if I don't like it I can still go the other way.Roger

Attached Files:

24. Like mine lo also

Attached Files:

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I like them up a little towards the middle of the grill shell
    [​IMG]

but down low like the rolling bones use is mean looking too
    [​IMG]

3340 likes this.
  26. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Is there any difference in 32 light bars?

27. There are too many factors to consider to have hard and fast "rules". IMO, they should be placed wherever they look "right". I'm sure you realize this as well because you titled this thread "The Art of the Headlight Location" instead of "The Rules of Headlight Location."

28. Beau

Beau

It's not about being cool, it's about looking right...

...something the guy that is building your car has to worry about. :p

Thanks for the opinions and photos.

Yes, it's art, not science.

29. daddio211

daddio211

Let's see what you've built. This isn't my first car (I've built a few), and right now I'm at a point in life where I have very little time and some available funds. I like building my own cars, but having 11 kids and owning two businesses keeps my garage time to a bare minimum. Last complete build took me almost 10 years, and I don't care to wait that long for another well built car.

And one day in the next 5 years I'll have da34guy build a '32 3 window for me.

Yep, I'm a gold chainer now.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Blue One likes this.
  30. Beau

Beau

You're not a newb. Search! I'm 10 months into my first full scale build. I'm shooting to have it done by April.

I was just pokin' fun at you :D. I have followed your build. I like it a lot.