Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to paint lace???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chubbs1955, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Chubbs1955

Chubbs1955

Hi guys I'm interested in learning how to paint lace patterns, I'm looking to do it on my 55 Chevy. Any tips trick? Best place to get lace? Maybe a step by step? Even pics would be awesome!:D

2. redroaddog

redroaddog

not to hard, did alot back in the day with lacquer . i think base paint would work. buy some old table cloths and practice small panels on a extra fender or hood. paint it body color let dry to touch mask a area off tape ur lace over the area spray the contrasting color don't move the lace till ur done spraying pull it off when its dry carefully hand tack it then clear every thing......Dave:cool:

3. Chubbs1955

Chubbs1955

Sounds pretty straight forward, appreciate the response bud! Nice to know someone wants to conversate this late, I'm up bored out of my mind lol.

4. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

Just as redroaddog said. Thats the only way I have ever heard of doing it. I did it on my shoebox and came out good. I see you're in corpus. I'm in Victoria so if youmare ever this way you could swing by and check it out

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Watch your air pressure and keep the gun perpendicular to the surface . Good luck.

6. txturbo

txturbo

Oh wow....Victoria is my home town.....I was there last Saturday.

7. Jimv

Jimv

Make sure that the lace stays real flat & try to paint it 90o to the surface at all time.It you don't the edges or anywhere you don't stay 90o will look " foggy" , the spray will get underneath the lace. If you are doing small areas sometime those paper dollies work better.But they'e rarely bigger a place mat.

JimV

8. pride63

pride63

9. upspirate

upspirate

Back in the day,we would buy sheet lace from a fabric shop to tape over the panel

10. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you take a squirt bottle of water to the lace after layout, and roll over it with a small roller, like the ones used for wallpaper work, you'll get a tighter transfer of the pattern. The paper lace can be cut and spliced together for large/complex patterns;)
    Did someone say 70's van craze revisited?:)

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Wetting the lace can help it stick down a bit better. having tacky paint, or even a mid coat clear helps hold it in place. Be sure its laid out as flat as possible or it will lift and fog. low pressure, perpendicular to lace. I started out doing it on a helmet once, and now i do it on tons of things. The roof of my truck is done, and all the girls love it. They always feel it trying to feel the fabric still there.

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Lace table clothes were used also,

14. Chubbs1955

Chubbs1955

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of useful info. Trying to get the car finished up by April for the lonestar rally, I'm gonna have to cruise it up to Victoria to check that shoebox out bud!

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

You need a lace brush, getting hard to find them anymore.

16. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Thanks everyone for the info. I plan on trying some Lace Paint on the roof of my Acadian Longroof this spring.

Anybody have some pics of their Lace Paint jobs?

17. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

You use table cloths?

All this time I have been painting the patterns with a #2 stripping brush.

18. Mattimus

Mattimus

19. deuce 1932

deuce 1932
    from Motown WV

JoAnn Fabric Store They have different styles and patterns. Keep lightly taut as instructed.

20. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

can you spray the kandy over the lace?????

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Check the lace and don't buy the stretchy stuff, alot of it is. All it does is make taping it up real tight a nightmare as patterns get distorted and look shite. Like others i tape it tight over a slighly tacky dust coat of mid clear and use a small roller over the lace. Getting lace is easy enough. Ebay and type "lace material". More lace than you'll ever need, cheap too. It also helps to blow out the lace with an airline before using and remove any loose hairs and fluff etc. I did have a problem with that when i peeled the lace off once and it left alot of of crap in the paint.
    Most of all have a mess about with different colors and using fine line tape to give your work a negative pinstripe. Before you know it you'll be breaking out the mini gun and fogging and lacing every panel in sight:D

22. Chubbs1955

Chubbs1955

That's what I want to do ^

23. kustom65

kustom65

I've just started lacing my car. I just went to the local material store and got lace curtains. Make sure the surface is clean.
    This is how they turned out ImageUploadedByTJJ1356835027.292940.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

You can also find paper lace at party supply stores, ,I think I would like to use those if I was doing a car top or hood or trunk in panels ,Two Bike tanks I have done with good effect and results. Tnomoldw

When the going gets tough the tough get going!

Attached Files: