Register now to get rid of these ads!

center console idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcs64, Dec 29, 2012.

1. jcs64

jcs64

not sure if I like this or not but ill keep working on it untill i decide.

my '51 plym has one of those ugly B&M shifters in it that just wont fly w/ me.
    [​IMG]

Id been trying to figure out what to do w/ it and then I remembered the left over pcs from the grill suround I made.
    The suround was made from 5" exhaust tubing that was sliced up, bent, then quartered.
    [​IMG]

And this is the left over pc that id been moving from one side of the garage to the other.
    [​IMG]

After a little more trimming, It started to match the idea I had:
    [​IMG]
    The plan is to weld in some sides and paint it white to match the dash. Probably cut off the B&M lever and make a new plain one too, but still not sure how I want to trim the slotted opening, maybe something like whisker strips?

question is, will this look stupid?

jeff

2. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

That's pretty slick.
    I took a peice of big rig bumper and torched some holes and bent it for my wagon. But now I'm going to a stick shift so I'll come up with a new one

3. choptop40

choptop40

hey hey , console looks sweet...wait , that dam nose job is awsome !!!!

4. F&J

F&J

It's not hopeless :)

The whole concept is wrong on an early custom...but.. the shape and size kinda looks ok to me. But get some old chrome rod to replace the modern flat chrome handle. And, if you could find some curved diecast or stainless trim pieces to make that hump look more like it looks old ?

5. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

just replace it with a nice Lokar swan shifter, 23"

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the front end on your car, the console not so much. I'd finger out a way to put a column shift in it.

7. jcs64

jcs64

I like the idea about adding some sort of stainless trim.

As for the lokar shifter,

there is no fun in that, plus theres so many other parts I NEED to buy to get this car done.

jeff

8. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I used 2 harley gas tanks....:D

Attached Files:

9. jcs64

jcs64

nice job repurposing parts!

jeff

10. n847

n847

I think it could work...maybe a clock, or something mounted in front of the shifter? You could even use an late 40's Plymouth hood emblem, or trunk emblem mounted in...with some round bar cut in half and bent to the same lines as the piece you already made to look like belt line trim!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LabRat

LabRat

I would mount the mechanism on top of the gearbox , make a nice swan neck from round stock and a generic leather boot to cover whatever sticks through the floor ...

A center console has no place in a cool custom IMHO .

12. I agree with the others, change out flat bar to a round bar, and then a small boot. Consoles of any kind, just seem wrong on those era cars.
    Your front end treatment looks great.

13. jcs64

jcs64

-Ive heard that before, but Id have to think that builders must have came up w/ ways to change the tunnel area.

- A colum shifter would make me happy but I doubt its doable w/ the driveline swap.

- I do like that center hood trim w/ the lighted pc. That could be used as the courtesy light instead of the dome light.

Heading out to garage soon to see what I can screw up!

Jeff

14. That is cool dude!:cool:

15. n847

n847

Don't forget the cup holders!

16. Jeff,
    I have kind of the same dilemma with my 53 Ford vicky. I have to use my B&M shifter, so hiding it would be nice.
    Post some pic's of your progress. It looks like you're off to a good start.

Frank

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  17. blucar

blucar

My '39 Plym. conv cpe is what some people would call "a Resto-Mod".. I wanted to keep the car as stock looking as possible, improving everything mechanical for safety and good drivablity..
    When I was planning the rebuild, I noted that there was limited room for a late model tilt column with a column mounted shift lever.. I had looked at a couple of '39 Plym coupes with this modification.. The shift lever hit the dash in park..
    Wanting to keep the dash as stock looking as possible, keeping the NOS '39 Philco radio that I had been lucky enough to find, add AC ducts, a tach, CD player, etc., plus the buckets seats from a 325 BMW, required the creation of a consul..
    As you can see from the attached pix's it all worked out very well. The steering wheel shown in the pix has been replaced with a Carrea Classic Banjo..
    I'm using the same idea on my '49 Olds 88, stock looking dash w/GM tilt column, column shift, custom built consul.. Bucket seats from a 325 BM'r..
    I'll retain the stock '79 Olds steering wheel for now.. I might try cutting down the '49 Olds steering wheel to about 14" later on.. It can be done, I've seen one that was done... Very pricey!!

18. blucar

blucar

For some reason the pix of the consul in my Plym did not make it through cyber space..
    I'll try again...

Attached Files:

19. jcs64

jcs64

^^^^ super helpfull^^^^^^

just a little progress today

[​IMG]

jeff

20. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Looks good, maybe take sum 3/8 tubing and weld it around the perimeter of the bottom, give it a little more character. Just my 2¢

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I am going to say I like it now, before others wait and change their minds once it is all done.

22. jcs64

jcs64

Already on the to do list.
    Maybe even polished stainless tubing.

jeff

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd work more at having it blend in than stand out. I think you are on the right track for that though. Make it look like it was always there from the day the car was built and not an add on and you are good to go.

24. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

That looks classy

25. nali

nali

Can t help for the console, sorry :)
    I suppose it s the heat control in front of the shifter. Is it the stock 51 Ply part or an aftermarket ? It seems nice !!

26. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

27. twochops

twochops

here's one more,made with exhaust tubing.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

28. johnod

johnod

I like that!

29. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thats pretty slick

30. raidmagic

raidmagic

I really like where you are going with it.Keep going,it's going to be sweet I think.

64oneoff, that is incredible