Register now to get rid of these ads!

My daily driver 62 chevy and a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young olds, Oct 15, 2012.

1. young olds

young olds

I have been a member for a while but mostly remained a lurker, but now I want to show off my car:D and ask some questions. This is my daily driver, 1962 Chevrolet Chevy II, my dad got it for me for my 18th birthday in may:cool:. Its a 4 cylinder 3 on the tree car, right now it has a 181 in it. Other than swapping the 153 for a 181 I havent done anything except I put computer speakers in so I can play my ipod. I wired up the speakers to switched power and put one on each side of the front seat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. young olds

young olds

Now for the question. I bought a 3 speed with a borg-warner r10 and i dont have all the parts to do a factory install. My question is if I have the overdrive lockout cable in and a toggle switch, how do i wire it and what is the proper procedure to get it to shift into overdrive? Thanks for looking and thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

3. donsz

donsz

4. young olds

young olds

Thanks for the link. I have also seen some conflicting info on what oil to put in the overdrive case and was wondering whats best for it.

5. It needs to be a mineral base oil. Tractor supply sells it.

6. young olds

young olds

Just wanted to share some recent pictures. I also wanted to ask about using transmission fluid in an r-10 overdrive since its a planetary gear? Im going to pull the engine to get the crank turned and the overdrive is going in when the engine goes in, just wanna make sure i dont ruin it. If funds allow im going to put a cam in with some light head work and an intake and carb. thanks for looking

Attached Files:

7. young olds

young olds

I am also looking for ideas on mufflers for it, right now it has a big muffler on and i cant here it run. Looking for a little noise but dont want to sound like an import 4 cylinder, i was thinking two motorcycle mufflers or a glasspack?

8. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Snip your zip ties, get an oil cap breather that fits and yer good to go.

http://speedprint.com/deves50/doc/bwoperators.pdf

I have run a '62 3sp+od for the last 12 years in a dd/only vehicle. You need to inspect the od before you just put it in, that solenoid looks suspect (where's the top?). You can check the solenoid by hooking up jumper cables, if good it will push that pin out a half to 3/4".

Don't bother with changing mufflers. This is a car in the as-is condition that will carry you the rest of your life, and I do realize that you are a teen.

There's ChevyTalk a site for stockers like yours, google it, plenty of info.

Regards,

Cosmo

10. young olds

young olds

Thanks

I have since snipped the zip ties. I took the cap of the solenoid to clean up the contacts and test it, it does work, I've also cleaned and tested the governor. Thanks for the insight and suggestions.

11. young olds

young olds

Just read the link, it is very helpful, thanks.

12. young olds

young olds

I got my crank, rods and head back from the machine shop today, just waiting for the cam now. cant wait to see how it runs when its back together.:D

Attached Files:

13. young olds

young olds

I think something is wrong with my generator. when the engine is running it emits a blew light out the back. My batter stays charged but the cooling fins flew off and one time it kept spinning after i shut the engine off. this is my first experience with a generator and was wondering if this is normal or is it jacked up?

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Very cool and RARE car, especially these days. And, with air conditioning to boot; how much does that "power down" the engine when it's on? I'd put as long a glass pack muffler as I could find on it; my nephews 51 Bus Coupe we built has dual 36" Cherry Bombs on it, and it sounds good. I'm wondering if that OD trans will need a fine spline slip yoke to do the conversion. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I really like the 4 banger chevy II's. I've had a couple and there fun little rides and different from the norm. I'd put a single glass pack on it, the shorter the louder and they dont have the tin can sound of the ricers. Have you considered a T5 tranny? I put one ina 37 PU behind a 153 and loved it. It was from a 4 banger S10 so it had the lower first gear which was great since I had a 3.08 rear. 153 still had enough guts to run down the highway in OD. 181 ought to pull the OD ok either the R10 or a T5. Good luck with the project and I'm looking forward to the progress.

16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Very nice!
    I have a 62 300 series Chevy II, it was my car through high school.

P.S. Don't ever let anyone call it a Nova!

17. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

Not to split hairs, but isn't that an Acadian? The Canadian version of the Chevy II's?

Something about the grill looks different....

18. young olds

young olds

It did need a fine spline yoke to work, didnt realize that until it was in. luckily my dad had one laying around. I dont know how much the ac compressor "powers down" the engine I dont have belts on it.
    I wanted to do a t5 but i didnt want a floor shifter, especialy with the ac unit.
    its not an acadian, the original owner bought it out of oak harbor, wa. the grill does look kind of strange though, always looked like it was missing something.

19. young olds

young olds

Im still looking for some feedback on my generator, post #13 ^

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can tell you that on my nephews 51 Bus Coupe with a V-8, 12 volt swap, and with a generator, when the regular kicks in to charge, we also see the bluish light from the brushes/commutator. It's kinda cool at night or in the dark. So that's normal. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. El Gordo

El Gordo

Very nice survivor!
    Few 4 bangers left.

1) Any Nova specific questions can be answered at http://www.stevesnovasite.com

2) I did the T5 swap behind my 194 and love it, but it is floor shifter only.

3) Defiantly not an Acadian grill as that one is tin,
    Acadian's are cast 2 piece units. Mine scaled at 22 pounds!
    [​IMG]

22. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Looks like you Canucks have all the fun!

23. Yep! That blueish light is pretty normal. Although you should find the shield that goes on the back of that genny. or at the very least, make sure you dont have ANY kind of fuel leakage. Sparks and fuel vapor are just a bad combo on the outside of your engine.

24. young olds

young olds

thanks for the replies on the generator, it does seem to be working just fine. I have to take some pictures of my engine now that its back in. also have been working on getting my overdrive functional.

25. young olds

young olds

I have a vacuum leak and I cant find where its coming from. Wondering if im over looking a spot, Ive checked the carb to make sure its tight, the intake to the head and the little vacuum port on the side. Is there anywhere else I could be getting the leak from? It causes a miss with the choke off and I cant get it to idle under 800rpm, Ive also found about a 300rpm difference when putting my hand over the carb and it completely clears up the miss

26. young olds

young olds

I sprayed around the carb, vacuum ports and where the intake meets the head and nowhere made it gain rpm. Only spraying down the carb or blocking air makes it gain rpm and clear up. any ideas?

27. young olds

young olds

I got a carb adapter from langdon and made my own adapter to go over that to put a varajet on my car. also got a pic of the engine

Attached Files:

28. young olds

young olds

Im working on the car again, I put some nos factory sized bias plys on it. still need help with the overdrive, I havent gotten it to shift to overdrive. Ive tried the cable in and out and have a direct switch to the solenoid and havent noticed a shift or freewheeling and can shift into reverse with the cable in or out. Any ideas?

29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

throw a T5 in it

30. young olds

young olds

I dont want a floor shift, but am tempted. I did some more testing this morning. I jacked up the rear end and had spun the drive shaft in these combos, cable out solenoid off, cable out solenoid on, cable in solenoid off and cable in solenoid on. The latter made my driveshaft lock up so I took it for a test spin cable in switching the solenoid on while driving and no shift, i tried clutch, clutch shift to neutral and clutch shift to no avail. so i stopped in neutral cable in solenoid on and rolled the car, the driveshaft locked so i got in and put it in first and it wouldnt move just slowed the engine down. Any ideas what im working with? would like to get it working today as i have to drive a 110 mile one way trip this weekend for work and would like to use overdrive. any help will be greatly appreciated.