Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building a sbc / how would you build this 38 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrSweeneyRod, Dec 29, 2012.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

So after looking for a complete engine and not knowing to much about what im buying i have decided to learn all I can and build my own ( what better way to learn ). So I'm going to buy a pre 70 bare block and would like to build a 355 stroker.
    So what I'm after learning is what machine work would need to be done, and also what would be a a nice setup for a crank, pistons, rods and heads ( and anything else I need ) I'm not after racing it, just to build a street rod that I can have fun with at the weekends.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You might be better off buying a complete crate motor direct from GM. It will come with a warranty and everything will be new. If you buy a bare block, it will need to be checked, hot tanked, bored, align honed, decked, cam bearings installed, freeze plugs installed, gallery plugs installed, all this before assembling the short block. Then comes the heads which may or may not need work and /or assembly. Then buying either a balanced rotating assembly, or trying to piece one together your self. All in all, a crate motor sounds more attractive.

3. hd4unm

hd4unm

Following Gassers lead here... I'd be thinking this through a little more as well. Crate motors are a pretty good value and lots of versions to pick from. There is a lot to learn. When I did it, it started out fairly successfully in old daily drivers where all you wanted was for it to run well and not smoke. I eventually worked in a machine shop and got trained in a whole other view of what needs to be done. Produced some good engines after that.

Understanding what you have mentioned and what you are wanting to build is a task I would not take on unless you plan on investing in a few tools, lots of study, have good machine resources and building many more engines.

4. dseale4888

dseale4888

Crate motor is cheaper than scratch building unless you have the knowledge, skills, and tools. Unless there are specific parameters you need to meet with your engine then you would be better off with a crate engine with a warranty. Just my opinion.
    Dave

5. oj

oj

Hope your daughter recovers quickly.
    A 355" isn't a stroker, it is a standard .030 overbore. I'd get a truckblock with lots of miles and 4bolt mains - lots of miles means the basic casting is very good to begin with.
    Order up a rotating assembly with forged pistons, 6" h-beam rods and scat crank, flat-top pistons, a set of dart cast iron heads (74 or76cc), a proform hurricane intake, a '286h' cam and you'll be pretty well fixed.

6. gwarren007

gwarren007

7. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

The only reason I have thought about this route is cost. I know in the long run it would cost me more building it but I don't have the money up front for a crate motor and can build it in stages. I also live close to a hot rod shop and they do tuesday evenings were you can go and help out and in turn they help you out.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Do the crate engine thing, and while you're waiting for it to arrive buy a junk engine off of Craigslist and disassemble it.

Pay close attention to pieces, parts, and the order in which they come out. Look at bearings, races, clearances, cylinder scars, crank scores, things like that. You'll teach yourself a LOT by reading then doing, and you'll be really glad you didn't build your first engine without MORE knowledge!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. indyjps

indyjps

355 under 400 hp a cast crank, 5.7 rods, and hypereutectic pistons are fine. This is a cost effective sbc, plan on peak ower under6000 rpm, use vortec heads, scoggin dickey sells stock castings modified for high valve lift, and springs, stock ift on these heads is .465, its debateable depending on the internet forum. Go with .470 - .490 lift, watch your duration it will move your powerband around. If you don't have any stock parts now [crank rods etc]. Get a matched rotating assy. Check summit and northern auto parts. Vortecs are not traditional, and require a specific intake, so if you're. they make more power for less $ than any head out there. You'll still spend a lot, consider a short block and buy your own heads

10. If you want to learn how to build a SBC and have the tools (good torque wrench ,etc),time and extra money then do it! A good reference/ how -to book is from SA Design, " How to Build the Smallblock Chevrolet" by Larry Atherton & Larry Schreib.
    Find a good machine shop. The experience you will have after building your hot rod motor is priceless. Plus you'll have the satisfaction of stating you did it yourself. Firing it up for the first time, if you have the dizzy in right, will put a big smile on your face!

11. triumph 1

triumph 1

Rebuilding a sbc is a pretty easy and cost efficient way of getting a good reliable engine. Find a good core, disassemble, clean and measure bores. Order a complete rebuild kit from summit racing or equivalent supplier. Bring block, crank, rods and heads to a reputable automotive machine shop. I have done many engine rebuilds this way and they all turned out great. I'm sure there are a slew of books out there that will cover all of the things you need to know for assembly.

12. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

If you were in the USA a new motor, of any description, would be but a phone call and a couple thousand bucks away, and on your doorstep in days.

But, living in the UK it makes everything just that little bit more fun. You can still buy basic GM 350s from places like Real Steel for probably less than you can build one for yourself, bearing in mind you have to import all the parts yourself, or buy them off Real Steel anyway.

13. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

It's probably a good bet that doing a block-up build will end up costing you as much as, or even MORE than a typical 'crate motor' will in yhe end...but it's also the best way to insure that you get a quality-built engine (assuming that you do it RIGHT).

You can control the quality and workmanship if YOU are the one doing it...whereas crate motors are often assembled with the cheapest parts and materials they can find, and lots of cutting corners goes on as far as block prep and attention to details throughout the process.

I elect to build them from a bare block myself, and most times, the block and sometimes cylinder head castings are all I re-use anyhow...everything else is new. The beauty of it in your case is that you're after a small block Chevy...so there is a whole lot to choose from as far as parts are concerned, and a 350 Chevy is about the least expensive engine you can build. (That isn't to say that you should use sub-standard, bargain-basement "cheap" crate motor parts...I'm just saying that even QUALITY stuff is relatively affordable!!)

No need to restrict yourself to a "Pre-1970" block, though...the same basic design was used from 1969-1979, as far as 350 blocks with a two-piece rear seal and the driver's side dipstick goes...so there's a whole bunch of 'em out there for ya!

Get yourself one of the many widely-available small block Chevy books and read it thoroughly before you begin. Get familiar with the steps involved and do some smart parts shopping as you go. Mind the details, check everything twice, and you should be able to put together a decent, reliable performance engine your first time out.

14. hd4unm

hd4unm

Not trying to talk you out of it, just laying the potential landscape. Sky is the limit to what you can do and there is satisfaction on the accomplishment as others have suggested. Good to have a shop near by you can get help from. That kind of resource adds up to a lot. Asking questions like you are is the way to go. Make sure to let us know how it all turns out.

15. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Crate motor - Schmate motor. The only thing you'll learn is how to save your money.

Build it piece by piece on your budget. Research is only a mouse click away in these modern times plus you have a source for mentors in your neighborhood rod shop. You will make mistakes but those will be the most valuable lessons.

We're talking HOT RODDING here not managing your sodding bank account.
    Best wishes to your little girl.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, you can also believe that most of the "crate motor' suggesters have never built a complete engine on their own in their lives. I'm talking about doing everything except the actual machine work that you have to have a machine shop to do.

UK now doubt has good automotive machine shops that can bore blocks and reface valves and valve seats so that part shouldn't be an issue.

There are several good books to pick from that walk you though it
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Y...356803226&sr=8-2&keywords=how+to+rebuild+your

or:
    This one I used as a reference when teaching auto mechanics

http://www.amazon.com/How-Hotrod-Sm...ords=how+to+rebuild+your+smallblock+Chevrolet

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Small-S...ords=how+to+rebuild+your+smallblock+Chevrolet

This one goes into how to build a mild street motor and doesn't call for a lot of exotic high dollar parts.

There are more out there but the list could go on for pages.

Outside of the normal hand tools you need a decent torque wrench, ring compresser and if the machine shop doesn't assemble the heads a valve spring compressor.

As far as internal parts you can go inexpensive with parts from www.northernautoparts.com or on up to the sky is the limit with all high end parts from Summit or one of the other speed parts suppliers. You should have local to you sources for most of the parts too so don't overlook that concept.

On a list of personal accomplishments hearing the first engine you completely rebuilt yourself fire up the first time comes in pretty high. Maybe not in the top five but in the top ten for sure.

17. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

All this is great advice...I have found a couple of bare blocks for sale that have already been machined and ready to build, they came with the recipets and info sheet to say what's been done. The 350 bored 0.30 is $350...

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I think it's a great idea to build your own engine. Don't skimp on tools! Buy quality measuring tools and any other specialty tools you don't currently have. Take your time and be anal about everything. I couldn't tell you about shipping to the uk, but I've bought complete rotating assemblies from northern auto parts here in the states and had good luck with quality parts.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. You know a case of cold beer and some burgers will get you a lot of help from some body who has built motors and you can lean while helping. I agree that a creat motor can save you some dollars but shop around and find some GOOD used stuff and you can come out all right coast wise. Good luck with it and ask questions here.

20. Build your own. You'll have an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I'd say it will come out even as for as cost goes, but there are guys that have built motors and guys that have bought motors. I've done both, and I can brag a lot more about the ones I've built. (and subsequently blown up.)

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Suggest buying a running sbc(even if 305) from wrecking yard or private sale, then put the engine on a stand (the engine will be run on this stand) and learn/experiment/tune ignition and carb to maximum output and/or best running condition.

This should provide enough power for weekend fun.

All the while continuing to read up on the sbc--- thankfully there are a plethora of books devoted to it; Anything by David Vizard is good, but there are others.

After you've gained experience and knowledge, then and only then would i attempt to build my own.

22. gsport

gsport

good thread.... i like threads like this. good luck on your build

23. roughneck424

roughneck424

And the thrill of hearing that motor you built yourself fire up the first time will always be remembered!!!

24. roughneck424

roughneck424

I'm grateful we had High School auto shop back when. :)

25. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I don't care how long it takes, I just want to do it myself. I will be so proud, I'm doing so much research on the sbc build and also the tri power that I also want to build for it. I have set my self a big task but its always been my dream to do

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  26. what are the plans for that truck cool project.

27. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

So come on then guys...what would you do with the truck ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  28. Steel rat,

Please do the build yourself !
    You will appreciate it so much more,and you will learn something at the same time,,the satisfaction of your own skills.
    Most people talk about how difficult it is,,,,,that is crap!!!
    I built my first engine,,,a Chevy 350,, when I was 16,,,ran great!
    Even if you screw up,,,the odds are you won't hurt anything.
    My first build was a standard bore,,standard crank,,good valve job and a big cam and intake and carb.
    It ran like a bad ass!!!
    The only thing i did wrong was,,i did not get a good hone on the cylinders. It still ran good,,,just fouled a plug every month or so.
    So,,,,knowing that something was not right,,I proceded to tear it back down and investigate. Found the problem and honed the cylinders with some advice from an older guy that knows what to do. I still did the work,,he just explained how I needed a better crosshatch on the bores.
    When it went back in ,,it truly ran great. I ran that engine for years and never had any problems,,,,I ran the hell out of it too. The RPM was over 6000 on a daily basis!
    I have a lot of respect for anyone that builds their own engines,,it takes guts to even try.
    Just my opinion.

Oh,,by the way,,,when you light your engine for the first time,,,it will be almost like hearing your child cry for the first time,,I guarantee it !!!

Tommy

29. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

in your original post i thought you said you were going to buy a local"crate motor " for 1300 and we advised you to pony up the extra for a NEW crate from GM or jegs with free shipping--- building your own ?--always use forged parts if you can afford them--when you add more power later you won't have to replace them--studded two bolt block is more highly rated than a factory 4 bolt (crack prone in main webs) by most performance shops so don't spend too much time or money hunting a 4 bolt-- if it's not a race motor i just pay the shop to put it together with my parts after the machine work ....

30. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Yeah I was looking at it, but never got through to the guy and people here gave me loads of great advise on the pros and cons. Then last night I was looking at what was around and weighed up all my options.

I will always listen to the people that know and have the experience.