Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod LP Collecting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Apr 4, 2009.

1. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

I have a fairly large collection of these...both LP's and 45's. Have found quite a few early radio spots on vinyl for early Fords. Probably my rarest is an LP: Hayden Proffitt presents Jim Head and his Del Rays, showing Proffitt's 65 cammer Comet on the cover at Lions Dragstrip.

Great stuff and great music!!

2. Carcat22

Carcat22

3. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

In the early 1950's, Hot Rod Magazine was briefly in the record business. Tom "Stroker McGurk" Medley, teamed up with jazz musician Joe Darensbough to write "Saturday Night Drag Race", "Hot Rod Harry", and "Hot Rod Cowboy", and Tom convinced Bob Petersen to let him produce and sell the records (78 and 45 versions) through the magazine.
    Tom and Joe located the bandmembers (the "Flat Out Five"), including Joe on clarinet, Terry Buckner on trumpet, Jerry Wiggins on Piano, Dave Bryant on Bass, and Frank Pasley on guitar. Vocals by "Scatman" Crothers.
    I located these original 78's in original "Trend Publishing" mailing container. Also located "Saturday Night Drag Race" on 45. All are published on Hot Rod Records label.
    See Rodders Journal #20 for more of my collection.

Attached Files:

4. skywolf

skywolf

[​IMG]

I found this Japanese E.P recently.

5. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Another neat one though not as old - second album from heavy metal band Fastway, 1984. I have the album, but I stole this pic from the web.

[​IMG]

6. I frequently pick up beater copies with cars on them if I can get them for a buck or two and sell them at car show swaps for $5. That Guess Who LP with the '57 Chevy and Little Deuce Coupe among them. I can't imagine a beat up, taped up jacket LP being worth much more even if it's rare.

That .38 Special album is fairly rare, it's the band's second album and predates any of their big hits.

Doc Holliday "Rides Again" has a close up of the side tank and engine of a motorcycle. Heavy southern rock.

Another harder to find LP with a red '57 Chevy is The Henry Paul Band "Anytime" from about 1981. Side view of the car and the band guys with letterman jackets and stuff - and full 1981 long/bushy hair. More southern rock, Henry Paul was a member of The Outlaws before going solo.

7. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

8. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

add this one to the pile

Attached Files:

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was growing up, we didn't have family photos on the wall. We had the original posters of the above CD Art on our walls at home, man did my school mates think my family was strange, noisy old cars, funny pictures on the wall and I was the only 4th grader listening to Buddy Holly when everyone else was into Rap and New Age shit in the 80s!!

Doc.

11. Muttley

Muttley

They have some awesome stuff, I cant even begin to count all the dollars I've spent on their site.

12. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I don't want my wife to know how much I spent there!:eek:

Marty
    Marysville, OH

13. barrys65cyclone

barrys65cyclone
    from Maryland

Hey i just purchased a 30 year collection over 100 LPs all vintage Drag Racing { I am keeping the Hayden Proffit Lp } I will be listing the rest on EBAY my user id barzx750e2 hit me up if you are looking for a certain record i more than likely have it.
    Barry

14. barrys65cyclone

barrys65cyclone
    from Maryland

Hey i just purchased a 30 year collection over 100 LPs all vintage Drag Racing { I am keeping the Hayden Proffit Lp } I will be listing the rest on EBAY my user id barzx750e2 hit me up via email if you are looking for a certain record i more than likely have it.
    Barry

15. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I finally got my order from Sundazed. WOO-HOO!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iI also got a surf CD. As soon as that is finished, the albums are going on!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

16. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I just picked this up today at a flea market:

[​IMG]

Marty

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3711709271964040_1.jpg Got this one off the bay last week. would LOVE to have this one^^^^nice find!

18. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I picked this up at an antique show.

[​IMG]

Marty
    Marysville, OH

19. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Ive got quite a few circling the garage wall in my basement. Great display/art work. Unfortunatly I have owned a turn table for a long time so I never get to listen to them. Gary

20. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I picked this up last weekend. I have been buying a lot of records lately,but the hot rrod ones are few and far between.

[​IMG]

Marty

21. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I found it in an Antique store. drag racing 002.jpg

volvobrynk, Bowtie Coupe and Muttley like this.
  22. Muttley

Muttley

I've got a pretty good sized stack that I need to get some pictures of to post, maybe later this week. ;)

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great thread dragged up from the basement.

24. Muttley

Muttley

As promised, shot on location at Casa De Muttley:

[​IMG]

This post was previously recorded and edited for content, please stay tuned to this channel for further updates............................

volvobrynk and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. Muttley

Muttley

26. Muttley

Muttley

27. Muttley

Muttley

28. Muttley

Muttley

29. Muttley

Muttley

30. Muttley