Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 chassis swages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendetta, Dec 28, 2012.

1. vendetta

vendetta

hi. wanting opinions on the swage on a 32 chassis.i have jw rod garage repo rails.i are starting to think about putting it under a 34 pickup body.
    build outline-283 chev,manual,quickchange rear,artillery wheels with cross plys,fenderless,4" drop i beam/split bones/mono leaf/tubular shocks front
    my questions-
    -where should the chassis swages line up?
    -the front to pretty much the cowl-hood side point?
    -the rear i kinda like the idea of it being at the back of the cab as i want it a bit shorter than the usual-(as short as in the attached pic i stole from the hamb and did an average photochop on)if i do this the front swage ends up further forward than usual(i am intending on chopping off the front horns)so i perhaps need to take 5-6" out of the middle section to get the front in the right place and the rear where i want it.what looks right and what just looks wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I hate to admit this, but the term swage escapes me. What is that ? Are you talking about the frame "reveal" at the bottom edge of the frame ?

Don

3. i think he's taking about the frame reveal.

in all seriousness....

you are hard pressed to mess with the detail and proportion of the deuce frame.

the pic you posted is pretty much dead perfect.

the front beauty mark of the reveal is RIGHT where its supposed to be. if you wanna mess with the rear, then its a cut and section job. but if you cut the frame, you potentially change the wheelbase which presents other proportion issues. of course there are ways to keep a stock wheelbase while modifying the stock frame reveal. how hard do you want to work?

4. Alot of different terms down here Don,most sound strange compared to those from the land of the automobile (car).Swage is what the reveal is known as in our adverts here. Cheers JW :)

5. dad-bud

dad-bud

Vendetta, the pic you posted looks great, though I don't think the swage/reveal is a key to it - the chop is fine and the bed sits right too.
    Go for it and make sure you post build pics for us all to enjoy.
    Cheers.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Got it. :D When I first saw that word there I thought of "swaging" which is something we do when we crimp something, as in, you "swage" a battery terminal to a battery cable.:D

If you want to hear some different terms, talk with Langy for a while....they have some strange names for stuff in the UK. :eek::D

Don

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Don

Not strange - just the Queens English ;)

Martyn

8. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Tell the queen to get a job like the rest of us.

9. Don,
    that is what he is talking about.

My answer to the question is that there is no set rule for where the real lines up with the cab, out your radiator where it belongs and then your hood and the cab falls where it does.

Step back and give it a look see if you don't like it adjust the length of your hood to accomodate your personal likes or dislikes.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

From what I know, what we call a bead roller some others call it a swaging machine and hence it produces swages.
    However, in the case of the 32 rails, a reveal is probably the better description.

11. This is about the best photo I can offer,,it's my pal Daves 34 truck on '32 rails. HRP

12. Cheers Don,the terms we have are the same as what Langy uses,things are changing slowly though,it will be a generation thing.All the best for 2013 Don :) vendetta i love your plans for your pickup,i nearly bought one one of of those back '81. Keep the updates coming. JW :)

13. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Yep the "look" is fine to me too.......

14. vendetta

vendetta

thanks guys- didn't realise i'd start a language debate! ha.

i marked on the rails where the cowl meets the hood sides (after checking this position from a 32 tudor,which puts the "reveal" pretty much at this same point) then positioned grill where that will go (i have a 34 commercial hood(and grill) that i are going to trim the bottom of the front to eliminate the angle that the grill is set on,but leaving a minor angle as it will have some slight rake due to tyre sizes which should leave it upright).then with the cab on the rear "reveal" extends past the cab approx 6",which is what i was unsure about.the other thing i wanted was between the back of the cab and the front point of the rear tyre i want a distance of no more than 1.5 x the size of the tyre from its outside diameter point in to the rim.

i was just looking through some saved photos-the green "bruces" truck is very similar to what i want except with a shortened bed and a roof chop(last photo i've chopped/mangled).looking at the rear "reveal" it lines up with the swages on the bed and doesn't look out of place.and the cab to tyre distance looks good too.i'd like the bed to have similar proportions in front of and behind the tyre-perhaps slightly bigger behind.
    in the photos of the green and blue pickup i like the gap between tyre and bed better on the green truck rather than the blue one but this is perhaps due to the green one having larger dia rear tyres? does anyone know if this truck is on a standard 32 passenger chassis?

once i looked at some saved pictures again it looks like i opened this language debate can of worms for nothing. :) (anyone pick up on how we spell tire?)

i should just shut up and go build stuff!

Attached Files:

15. alchemy

alchemy

If you are going to monkey with the reveal any, I might suggest you line up the rear upright point with the bead that goes over the wheel. I guess you would be pushing that portion of the reveal backwards an inch. I think if you move the upright towards the back edge of the cab you will have a big expanse of blah between the cab and the tire.

Since 34 pickup hoods will leave a gap above your 32 frame, how about giving the frame a slight wedge cut (not much) at the cowl band? Just so's it's maybe an inch higher at the grille. Then I would section an inch out of the grille front-to-back, not up and down. To make it look a little more in proprtion with a 32 passenger grille.

16. vendetta

vendetta

thanks-all real valid points for me.the reveal lining up with the bead on the bed i think is important(the "bruces" truck does nicely)i also like the way the rear tyre matches that bead so well -does anyone know what size tyres are on that truck?
    i hadn't thought of just seeing a plain chassis behind the cab and how "blah" it would look.point taken.
    also i didn't realise the 34 hood left a gap-i think i will just alter the hood to suit the chassis.
    i knew the commercial grill was different but couldn't quite put me finger on it as to how,i will definately look at sectioning it vertically.
    cheers