Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTB: Top Wood kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonechip67, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bonechip67

bonechip67

Just looking for someone who makes or sells just the top wood. The top lip down both sides and the slats that go from left to right. Will need the the header and back top piece as well. I see they sell the whole top kits, but I dont need the thick pieces that go from front to back on top of the doors/rear windows or the curved pieces inside. Anyvbody know someone?? Thanks in advance.

2. Do you have the old ones , if so they make great patterns for who ever may cut ya out new ones

Sent from my ROID'S using the TJ as a mobile app

3. 60 Belair

60 Belair

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Most places that sell wood kits will often sell pieces individually.

Did you already call and ask them? It would be foolish to post a question without doing that first. :rolleyes:

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I thought about making my own when building mine..by the time i looked at the cost to buy them and what it would take for me to make my own..the answer was clear..freakin buy the darn things..

Mac's , Snyders..etc..

6. bonechip67

bonechip67

I do have the outside top rails, but none of the bows that go from side to side or the header.

I would like to retain that wood look and get a removable/snap top for the nice days :)

I didnt call, but Snyder says "no individual pieces sold" I take it that you have to buy the whole kit.

Just trying not to spend $450 to 500 on the whole kit since I dont need it.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you sure that 500 bucks isnt the entire wood kit for the car?

I bought just the bows, and header.., didnt have to buy the whole kit, but cant remember what parts house / resoration supplier i got em from

8. bonechip67

bonechip67

This is what I found at Howell... $390 + shipping

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 2px" width=80 align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 1px" align=left>1928 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan Complete Top Wood Kit (all wood above the doors) Header Above Windshield, Roof Ribs, Rib Rails, Side Rails, and Rear Header</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 1px" class=blk-11 align=middle>AWD1025</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Whatever you do DO NOT use WoodArt out of CA.

Do a search for Ford wood and you'll come up with many reputable companies.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

www.fordwood.com

I hear they are way better than the Howell's stuff and less work to make them fit correctly!

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I was able to purchase the front header, and the 6 or 7 ribs..If I find out who I go em from Ill let you know..for some reason I want to say Mac's

12. macs, sacramento vintage ford, tams, brattons

13. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

On a curious note...what's the story on WoodArt?

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

fordwood.com is the Cubel family who have been doing this stuff for two generations already. I'm pretty sure they make the wood kits for most of the specialty suppliers out there these days too.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One of the prime makers of Model A wood is Car-Line Mfg in Beaumont TX at 409-833-9757. Talk to Paul.

16. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

At one time they were a great company until the sale of the company a few years ago. The new owners don't want to be bothered by anyone. I ordered some wood, they told me a 2 month lead time. After 10 weeks I tried contacted them to no avail. No response to e-mail or calling them directly, left messages etc. for 2 weeks. Thru e-mail I told them that I was cancelling my order due to the incompetence of their company. Within 10 minutes they emailed back saying messaged received. F*ck them, I waited 3 months for nothing!

Do a search on here, ALOT of folks have had similiar dealings with them.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Is that fordwood.com or Car Line?

18. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

That would be Fordwoodart.com DO NOT use. They have a fancy webpage but don't let it fool you. Since they show Drake as being one of their dealers I'm thinking that they don't want to be bothered by single persons ordering direct? I wouldn't know as once the order is taken you'll never get any correspondence again.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hmmmnnn good to know! I used them many years ago when the folk still had the business here in AZ. and they were great people to deal with in those days...

20. Andy

Andy

Way back when nothing repo was made, I made the wood for the top of a Model A and my 3W. The wood around the top was made by cutting blanks from 1/4" marine plywood and glueing them together while clamped to the roof. They were limber enough to follow the shape without bending the roof. I did the two sides and then the fronts and backs. Sanded with a drill motor. The bows were just oak bought at a lumber store and cut to shape with a jig saw.

21. afaulk

afaulk

I like this. Definitely HAMB style craftsmanship and probably looks great.

22. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

I recently bought some blueprints for my cars wood..Its 15-23 t roadster.I'm sure someone makes plans for you're car.Its more popular.

23. bonechip67

bonechip67

Just checked Howells again, looks like new year brings new prices.. $465 + shipping! Should have bought it last month! Oh well, guess I ll check out what Fordwood will charge per piece again.

24. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Does anybody sell blueprints for the wood for a 30 31 model a sedan? I'm not rich but my time is free so it would be easier for me to make my own if possible

25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i borrowed a friends 31 coupe top wood for patterns and made my own. was pretty easy, but i had access to a friends woodshop

26. jimbousman

jimbousman

Fordwood does sell the individual pieces

27. bonechip67

bonechip67

Bought my kit from Fordwood. Very good quality. I did buy the whole kit even though i didnt need it all. So, if you know of anyone needing the 2 big rails above the doors, 2 curved pieces by back window and a front header (purchased from another company) PM me. Thanks