Register now to get rid of these ads!

Planning a 1953-1956 Ford F100 Project, Couple Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mahonroy, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mahonroy

Mahonroy
    from Colorado

Hey guys, I am planning a 1953-1956 Ford F100 Project, and had a few questions that I couldn't resolve after searching around for a bit.

My goal is to just have a street-able truck, something cool/unique/challenging, and use newer technology components on it (such as the engine and transmission). Its not going to be a show truck or anything like that.

I would like to use the original frame, but have no problems with modifying it if necessary.

So as far as the engine/transmission goes, it seemed a popular choice was to use the 4.6l or 5.0l, mated up with a C4, C6, or AOD transmission. It looked like most people were just using an aftermarket crossmember to get this combo to bolt in. These are just 3 and 4 speed transmissions (not counting reverse). Are there any 5 or 6 speed transmissions that would be possible/feasible for a project like this? Is there a manual transmission option that people go with that is also 5 or 6 speed?

It looks like another popular choice was to use a LSx engine (I don't have a problem using Chevy parts in a Ford truck BTW, I know a lot of people do). It also looked like a lot of people were using a turbo 350, 700r4, or 4l60 transmission with this. Same thing as above, these are 3 or 4 speed transmissions, are there any 5 or 6 speed transmissions that would work for this? I came across a couple projects of people trying to use a t56 manual transmission (6 speed) w/ the LS1, which seems like that would be a great option for this project. The only problem is that I could not find a complete build thread on the project, or I could only find completed photos but no documentation. Is there anything special to using the LS1 w/ the T56 transmission?

Are there any other engine/tranny combos that I have missed that would be good? I am trying to find a happy balance between power and economy, and it seems that this can somewhat be achieved with an engine around the 4.0l - 6.0l (EFI), mated to a 5 or 6 speed transmission

As far as wiring goes, it looks like most people were successfully just using the OEM wiring harness and ECU. (and you can also get the Ford ECU flashed so the ignition works without a chipped key). Seemed you didn't have to do much with the LSx engine combo?

Suspension was just going to have a Mustang II IFS swap and thats really it.

Basically I am trying to find a set path for the project and come up with an accurate parts list before I get started, so I figured I would ask from the knowledgeable guys out there. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Some quick background on myself; I have a side business designing/building turbocharger systems for engines, and have a metal fabrication shop in my basement. I also do all of the EFI wiring and fuel tuning myself. I think the project I am mentioning should be well within my scope, and still be fun and challenging (If I can just figure out a good plan to go with hehe)

2. I have seen everything from stock suspension to Camaro, late model full Size Fords & Dakota sub-frames. I'm running a 73 Camaro sub-frame with a 350/700R4 and get about 15 mpg on the highway with plenty of power.
    There's a group on here for guys like us, the F100 group, here's a link. Good luck.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=8

3. Since this site is about traditional hotrods (pre '64), why not use a traditional mill like a Y block or FE? Or even a nailhead buick? Lotsa options.....

4. jr9162

jr9162

1) Tilt hood, 401 nailhead Buick w/SP400 tranny, MII, and Ford 9" rear.
    2) Tilt hood, 302 (or 351W) roller cammed, EFI Ford w/AOD, MII, and Ford 9" rear.
    3) Same as 1 or 2 but Jag IFS and IRS.

Choose #2 if you want it all Ford.

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

Heres my .02
    Sounds like your developing your plan which is no.1, then decide on the body mods ect. Writr them down to keep from being distracted. Also check out the FTE site, as there is a lot of good tech there.
    My truck is built as follows; 302 w/truck 4 spd [allows me to pull a trailer later],9 in with a 3.00 gear at the moment. Ron Francis wiring pricie but worth it.
    57 front axle ,disc brakes, down and forward reversed eye springs in front. reversed eye springs and extended hangers in the rearUsed Bronco 2 sway bars, they are almost a bolt on with saginaw cross steer.
    Will soon post some pics.
    Happy building.

6. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

If it were going to be my project, I'd be looking seriously at one of the Ford big-block sixes (240 or 300). There is a good solid aftermarket for these engines, and even bone stock the 300 is plenty of motor for a light pickup. I really like the look of an inline six in a vintage pickup. They built these engines for more than 30 years, so they span the gap from traditional to modern. You can go traditional with a multicarb setup or modern with EFI. Take a look at the forums over at www.fordsix.com to see how some folks are using these engines.

7. jr9162

jr9162

I agree regarding the 300 six w/EFI, and your choice of tranny. If you want to tow something with it, go with a NP435 4 speed.

8. gicknordon

gicknordon

You can get bell housings to mate the tremec tko and t56 transmissions to many popular engines. Of course, they are not cheap.

9. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Or a C6. Any transmission that will mate with a 289/302/351W will mate with the 240/300.

10. I sold my 56 to one of my customers, and his plan was not HAMB friendly....but it's still turning out to be a really nice truck. He bought a wrecked late-model Mustang for the drivetrain and harness, sold the leftovers to recoup some $$$, then bought a MII for the front and 4 link/coilovers for the rear, with an Explorer housing. Tilt hood, big brakes, 18" wheels and the Kenne-Bell blower blew hell out of any resemblance to traditional, but it's still gonna be a head turner. Build it to suit yourself, and if it gets too modern, you can always share it with the guys at dogfight. :cool:

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I say a dual carb'd 300 with a T-5!!!

12. designs that work

designs that work

What a lot of people forget is these trucks have been hot rodded since they were brand new. Every engine you can think of has probably been used. Set a plan and try to stick with it, every time you change build direction it costs money and time. If you could find a driver you could enjoy it as is or find somebodies half finished project. I drove a 1954 272 y block f100 with stock brakes and steering from Ca to Ks and back. It is your deal so do what YOU WANT.

13. red56f100

red56f100
    from Prior Lake

I just purchased a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII for a 56 f100 pick-up me and some friends are going to put together for my daughter. We paln on using the whole independent rear suspension and may use the motor and tranny as well. But I guess I would rather not have to deal with the computer controls on the new motors. We are going to go with mustang II front.

14. Mahonroy

Mahonroy
    from Colorado

Thanks for all of the great info!
    I have been reading up some more on what was mentioned, including the inline six cylinder 300, as well as other transmission alternatives.

I contacted Fat Man Fabrications, and they seem to have a decent mustang ii IFS setup, and they have a motor mount kit as well. I was thinking of going that rout, and using the LS1 engine with the T56 transmission. (my other alternative was to use the inline six cylinder 300 with a T5 transmission, although fuel economy/power doesn't seem to compare to the LS1 w/ T56?). I am slightly concerned about fitting the engine/tranny combo in the truck since they are both so large.

So it looks like going that rout, I would have to fabricate my own cross member to support the transmission, or is there one available that I am not aware of?

Have any of you had good experience with Fat Man Fabrication parts like I mentioned?

15. jr9162

jr9162

Please do. Interested in your suspension mods...

16. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

My neighbor has a 56 pickup with y block and 3 speed trans. He was asking me if I thought a 302 he has in his fairyland would bolt up to that tranny. I never learned Ford transmissions so I couldn't answer that so I'm on here searching. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app