Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 chevy 3100 truck could this really have happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gilby's garage, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Pharouh

Pharouh

I'd like to see a picture of the truck when it was new. It seems like someone would have taken a picture of it.
    I say bs too.

2. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

I remember ( back in the late 60's , early 70's ) looking at some new Novas on the local Chevrolet dealership's back storage yard . I got in one Nova that had a Pontiac emblem mounted on the right side of the dash above the glove box . Obviously had been mistakenly installed on the production line as it was a new vehicle , still had all the plastic on the seats , etc. ! Mistakes happened then , likely still do in factories that build different models on the same line . Going back to the reversed Chevy tailgate script , I don't think that it would have been missed by the multiple factory inspections so likely is a " con " job from somewhere along the truck's history ?

3. XXL__

XXL__

My first ever new car was a special order '86 S15 Jimmy. Left fender logo was for correct, right fender logo was for S10 Blazer. That made it past GM's inspection process, but dealer pointed it out seconds after it rolled off the truck. I didn't care as I stripped every piece of trim off by end of day. An upside down tailgate stamp getting past inspection, however... not believable.

4. classic L.B.

classic L.B.

My step brother ordered a 74 fomula 400 firebird,in ft worth tx. red no less... lucky shit got his car and it had a 400 emblem on one fender and a 455 on the other....yea you guessed it...got a 455 car for the price of a base model

5. JD Miller

JD Miller

I believe him ! its rare !

Yea right

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

typical Fords:D

7. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

you know if this was an un-restored truck then it could be proven but i'm guessing someone either welded wrong and didn't notice it until it was too late and didn't fix it or they were trying to send a distress signal because they got a chevy when they really wanted a ford..

8. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Well I say bs... but a good laugh

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My accountant bought a brand new Ford Ranger pickup in 84 or 85. It had sat on the dealers showroom floor for a few weeks, then went through the dealer's version of 'prepping'. He picked it up, drove it home and called my wife and I to come and admire it. When we pulled up, the first thing my wife said was "they forgot the R in the tailgate lettering". Sure enough, it just said F O D. Now...how many QA guys you think had a hand in missing that error?

10. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

nothing like that but when i worked at gmc we got in trucks with chevy interiors and wheels all the time.at chevy we had an original 73 nova with full buick apollo interior ,the owner kept it and displayed it in the showroom then one day a guy came in and had to have it ,so for the right price it left...this was around 94 or 95.

11. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Thats strange, I ordered a brand new Chevy truck in 1990. It came in with a GMC tailgate on it . The dealer changed it.

12. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I love it. Favorite is, "very few known to exist"...ooooh.

Like its's atopic on Chevy truck forums, about these few that leaked out, and everyon's looking for them now.
    Trying to track down "the few". there is probably a registry out there for them! :)

Stupid A**.
    I love when folks who don't know anything, go to sell a restored car..and people who DO know about them are looking at what they say - they makes fools of themselves with stuff like this.

Seller likely doesn't know in the process of that "restoration" a Chinese
    (or where ever they are doing them) tailgate got put on.
    I have seen one like this before, and another member posted pics of a yellow one, too!

I bet the BODY SHOP painted it, and then told him the "rare GM" story and he ate it up.
    But in case it's really a GM goof...Probably makes it worth a fortune...get your bid in.

13. Toecutter

Toecutter

My buddy bought a Toyota pickup with Off Road script on the rear quarters. Guess someone goofed because as soon as he took it Off Road and brought it in to the dealer for repairs they voided his warranty. :D

14. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

I think thats why they have TRD on the side of the Toyota trucks. Turds.

15. shedric

shedric

Not likely to leave the factory that way!

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

No idea if this tailgate is real or not but I can say I personally saw my then girlfriend's '74 Maverick come from the factory and the fan shroud sticker said "Danger - Fan" and the N in fan was backward.

17. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Yes Sir I have seen that backward n a lot!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  18. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

The tailgate is correct. The rest of the truck is upside down. :D