Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My BLING is gone. What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Dec 27, 2012.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

2. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

2nd version w/ leather is much better...

3. english rob

english rob

the black looks classier but thats just my limy opinion

4. perk30

perk30

I like the black better. Looks good.

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

The second rendition is better looking in my humble opinion but you know what they say about opinions!

6. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

7. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks, You are right on the pedals I really had not noticed that before. I think I will deep six them for black ones. :cool:

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

i like it better.. i always like the "less is more" approach to things... sometimes its the subtle things that set you apart..

9. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I like the black better. I liked the black steering wheel though. Now the new wheel stands out to much.

10. Going against the grain here, but I think the engine turned looked good but it needed something around the edge to set it off. Maybe an upholstered ridge around the outside of the console and leave the engine turned in the center because it was a little too wide in my opinion. I personally don't care for the upholstered look on the console.

11. jerseymike

jerseymike

12. I'm a sucker for engine turning - made a full dash insert for our 32 roadster. But I'm thinking you can get too much of it. Especially in an interior. On your shoebox, I like your new look better. Good job!!

13. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Haha, in the first couple of pictures I was thinking that I would 86 that steering wheel long before the console, good to see you thought the same. Looks much better!

14. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

it looks better now

15. 3340

Oh Yea! Much Better.

16. I faced the same dilemma when it came time to re-do the dash on the '35. I thought I wanted to do an engine-turned instrument panel, and a matching panel on the glove box door. After staring at the dash for the 3800 mile drive home, I realized that that was WAY over the top. I opted instead for a nice coat of black paint for the dash and glove box, and an instrument panel made from marbelized guitar pick-guard material. Much less blingy, and it didn't call attention to itself by screaming "LOOK AT ME". I still like engine turning, but in small, well placed doses.

17. 64 SS

64 SS

Nice clean interior...

18. dt50chev

dt50chev

The leather looks better. I am getting some ideas together for my interior. After debating the Bench vs. Bucket seats, the buckets won out. I think the bench looks more traditional, but the buckets and console will be more functional for me as a driver.

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

The black leather looks way better.Nice

20. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I liked the engine turn better The engine turn would have looked good with earlier SW type gauges and as previously mentioned a trim that surrounds it. However, that look is best in a performance rod style. The inside seems to be in conflict with itself. The steering wheel, gas pedal, and CD player all scream street rod while the red and white seats say custom. It needs a single theme. It appears to have several different themes going, the Black in my opinion is headed in the street rod direction but what the hell do I know.

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It's all about harmony. The engine turned piece looked great but it was an island, all alone without any support. If you had done some small pieces for the dash as well there would be balance/harmony. Now you have a nice leather console but again, it's an island. The red/white would have tied everything together. Too late for that but how to bring balance/harmony... your white face instruments don't belong there cause their buddies are black faced. Change the gauges. And the idea of an old phone or beverage holders may just help as well.

22. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

A bench seat and no console would look the best.

23. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Black blends in better. But I like the old satin shifter with the button. Your car do what you like. More about you being happy with it.

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

since you asked, i think the console needs a lip on the sides where the black vinyl can wrap around itself and use the metal (or vinyl) as an insert. then find away to break up the big flat panel with a walet shelf, or some switches or just a elevation changes so it dosent look clunky and flat. maybe vinyl on the vertical parts, metal on the horizontal ones. small well placed screws around the edges? maybe. you can easily start to mix up styles if you're not careful. i like a well-thought out console you can put a lot of cool things like courtesy lites, air ducts (if there's room) ash trays, lighters, gauges, elevated arnrests, storage box,etc. it's best to collect all the stuff you want to use first before you start laying it out and cutting and drilling.

25. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

WTF, You forgot the DVD screen and icebox. I just wanted an opinion on the 2 consuls as they appeared. :confused::confused:

26. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Bling is hard on the eyes.....looks much better.

27. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

then, disregard my comment. it's just that simple.

28. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

The best part about asking a "good or bad" question on the HAMB, is that 1.) You'll have all the questions you never asked about your car answered, with vigor, and 2.) If you post a picture, the board will have your car remodeled ten ways to Sunday by the time anyone gets around to caring about your original post. You should ask a question about whether or not you should keep your console if you want the question of whether or not your wrapped guages look good or not answered.

To answer your actual question, you did a good thing by upholstering over the metal.

29. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thank You. You are right and I should have known better, but I have thick skin. Larry

30. Model T1

Model T1

I think your Mercury would be happier in my warm garage!
    I would have added about a 2" white pleat with red beading along each edge along the consul when it was still engine turned. Swap those gauges with black faced gauges to go along with the others, no matter if they are the same brand or not. New wheel looks great. Go pedal should be black.
    Or just enjoy it the way it is now.
    When you are finished I'll come up and get it because I don't care what anyone else thinks;).