Register now to get rid of these ads!

History alimite metal cabinet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goat, Mar 2, 2009.

1. goat

goat

picked up this cabinet about a year ago. has the alimite logo on both side doors and one in the middle at the top. it came out of an old service station.
    do you guys know any thing about these. possible the age or the value. where they sold to stations or giving to them for selling there products?
    the cabinet is about 6 ft. tall, about 8 ft wide with a bench in the middle that has peg board on the back. it has a sectional lid that comes down to cover this area. on both sides of the bench are two single door cabinets. it also has lights in the top front with areas for advertisement signs. it also has chrome stripes around the top.
    what can you tell me about my conversation piece.
    THANKS

2. pastlane

pastlane

Sounds like it was part of a lube rack setup. Some of them were elaborate and very cool

3. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Pictures!!! Please.

4. pastlane

pastlane

Quick search turned this up on the web. Mid 40's vintage

Attached Files:

5. dadsmad

dadsmad

i worked in an old ford dealership that was built in the 40's that had those benches. after the ford dealership went out of business in the early 80's the local mm dealer moved there tractor shop there and still use them today

6. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Are those lights at the top? on each side?

7. Alimite or as it was known here "The Alimite" was a factory in Belleville Ontario Canada. My younger brother worked there for his first job running an automatic screw machine making grease fittings. The plant is still there and was in later years taken over by Stewart Warner. I dont know if anything is happenng there now or not. I am sure there may have been other plants but this one is only 12 miles from where I live. I have been by it within the last month I believe.
    Don

8. pastlane

pastlane

9. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

thats too cool

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Is there anyone here who can spell "Alemite"?

11. I have this one, similar but made by Lincoln.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The blue bench with curved ends is an Alemite......

[​IMG]

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

All I got was the air hose reels...
    [​IMG]

14. Ever see a fire engine red hang on the wall sheet metal double shelf unit?
    Has sides and a back like a book shelf.

About 42"wide, 12" deep and 24" high.

Found one of these at a garage sale a while back

Right now it's sitting on the edge of a work bench and once I figure out where to hang it, it goes on the wall.

Funny part is, about the only place free right now is over the 60 gallon air compressor where it would be a bitch to get to.

Anyway, seems like I've seen these sheet metal shelf deals hanging in gas stations and garages.

15. goat

goat

Past lane, that is it. I looked but never found any thing on it. thanks.
    KIWI. that bench is the same as the center section on mine, the side cabinets bolt to that. the bench is steel but the side cabinets are aluminum.
    and to the question about the lights, yes they are.
    thanks for the information.
    Goat

16. I picked up a Graco cabinet this weekend, not sure of the year, 50's?

Stainless Steel roll up door, side cabinets with 9 shelves, over head light, rollers on the back of the workbench top for air hose reel under, and swing out doors underneath.

It's missing the aluminum trim piece off of the front.

If anyone has information on the Graco cabinet let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TJJ on iPhone

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  17. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I just finished my set of Alemite stuff. Planning to sell it as a group with the Wayne 60 narrow pump.

Attached Files:

18. OldNeons

OldNeons
    from Midwest

Still looking for a workbench like this. Any brand - Alemite, Graco, Lincoln, Natkin, Kent Moore, Shure. Also wanted - related old garage equipment - roll around greasers and oil drain, service writers desk, large multi barrel grease dispenser units, old motor test equipment, etc. please PM with what you have. Finders fee for any leads. Thanks

19. George G

George G

Just picked up this Alemite sign ImageUploadedByTJJ1360850640.666995.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. pumpman

pumpman

Mine is a Shore, it was sold by jobbers that supplied cabinets, grease system, bulk oilers and shelving systems. We have this one in our great room and I use to store my tools, books ,oil and for display. They are very desirable and I have seen them sell from $1,000.00 (unrestored) up to $3,500.00 all tricked out. They are really useful and great to look at.

Sorry about he OT car in pic.

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      469.7 KB
      Views:
  21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That's what I was thinking. I expect folks to stumble on onomatopoeia and other such words, but when you've got the nameplate there in front of you.....another favorite is Camero, but I digress.