Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mickey Thompson Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Start postin' :cool:

Attached Files:

2. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

more

Attached Files:

3. Muttley

Muttley

4. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

hey muttley, do you have that catalog/book?

5. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Attached Files:

6. Muttley

Muttley

Yes

7. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

I've checked the bay...if you come up with any more or know of one for sale, let me know if you would...that would be pretty cool to have!

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. roydebisco

roydebisco
    from n.j

m/t olds center 57-64

Attached Files:

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Neat thread.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Can anyone tell me which engines were in whick color of the Bonneville Mustangs in post #5?

13. Mickey was one of the hot rod legends I would have loved to have met. The guy tried everything, had great success at Bonneville and the NHRA and terrible tragedy at Indy, but he never gave up. His innovative "out-of-the-box" thinking produced some amazing machines.

Smokey Yunick didn't give out compliments very often, but he was really fond of Mickey. He said, "Mickey had balls the size of an elephant's"

That about sums it up.........

14. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

I do not know. This was the cover of October 1969 Hot Rod Magazine.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No photos but one of the best Car guy books I ever read was Mickey's book Challenger. He started out running on a really low budget for his race cars and among other things dug used pistons out of scrap bins behind shops to use in his race car and used the boring bar his wife bought him to be able to fit the pistons he found.

16. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

If you haven't read the newest book on him called "The Fast Life and Tragic Death of Mickey Thompson" you should! Its a great book!

17. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Back inthe mid 70's I started racing Off Road Desrt. M/T came up with a great ideal for keeping shocks cool. Simple little aluminum what look like hats that slipped over the shock bodies. I had to pick them up at his shop in Wilmington California. I walked into his shop and there he was, the nicest warm greeting I got from him was amazing. Here I am 19 and there he was, in fact he took me for a tour of his shop, There was his funny Car that Danny Ongais drove and on a rack there she was The Challenger, wow. After that experience he always remembered me at the races and would make time to come and at least say hi or ask how things were going. I raced many of his Coliseum raes he put on and a fine promoter he was, a true Gentleman!

18. pontman

pontman

Few of him and 4 banger rail.

Attached Files:

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG] This shot is Bill Burke and Mickeys venture into Fiberglass.
    Their business was in Alhambra, right where Mickey,Bill grew up. The car was copied off of Robert Petersen's Cistaila Sports Car. The car was powered by a Flatty had a straight axle and Ford torque tube drive axle, It's color was yellow and was sponsored by Sonny's Muffler in Monterey Park. Bill got an Advertising job at Sports Car Graphic which was also a Petersen publication, He retired from McMullen Publishing in the late 70's.
    [​IMG] This shot is at Cook's Machine Works-Cyclone Racing Equipment. 4845 Telegraph Rd. L.A.22,CALIF. Ol man Cook did all of that drive line work, which included 4 Cyclone quickies, 2 La Salle trans' and a way to make this sucker all wheel drive. Powered by 4 Pontiacs, 406 mph was well within reach and acheived. he couldn't back the run up for a record, due to a failed engine,he informed the officials/media that it was a driveline failure=not very good for us, especially since all of the driveline work never had been paid for.

Mickey had very good reason to say what he did,because as a result of his choosing these Tin Indians, he was given a very good sponsorship, which included support vehicles,so he did not want to bite the hand that feeds.

Great thread and lots of Mickey History.

20. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

The guy trying out the rail is none other than Sir Jack Brabham, Formula One driver/constructor.

21. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Ok I just found out that the red one has a 302, the blue has a 351, and the yellow has a 427 in it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

The more I read about the man (MICKEY THOMPSON) the more I feel he rates right there with Carroll Shelby, no he did`t build a car everybodys heard of but give him credit he was a hands on man, raced everything,built-manufactured about anything to do with racing,from dirt in the desert-indy-the quarter mile and on salt !! Promoted drag racing-dirt racing and was one of the first to take it inside. Sorry for going on like this but looking back he was a hell of a person. He lived life WFO!

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

M/T pontiac

Attached Files:

24. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick

Two cars owned by Mickey Thompson...

[​IMG]

Kurtis 500SX powered by a one-off Pontiac 370 c.i. engine. Magnesium everywhere. Hilborn injection. Strarted life with a Cadillac engine but Thompson was sponsored by Pontiac so they had this engine built for the car. 500hp in a 2200 lb car will get your attention in a hurry. The fastest street sweeper around...

[​IMG]

The Super Mustang. Thompson owned it for 20 years from 1968 until his untimely death in 1988.

Both cars are in a private collection in Alberta, Canada now.

25. More Mickey and his Blown Ponty 4-banger rail.

MickeyT2.jpg

MickeyT.jpg

26. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

One of his funny cars was at BOWLING GREEN this past summer.

BOWLING GREEN HRR 2012 112.jpg

27. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Mickey was one of the COOLEST, I like collecting M/T items, the best thing I have is a autographed cover to his book hardback Challenger, and a Christmas card to Don Garlits that he signed.....Mickey was and still is Cool....

28. 296ardun

296ardun

29. Algon

Algon

Is this yours or do you know where it came from? I found two years ago through Hemmings, one had the liners stuck part way in and the other had them seated but not cut to the deck yet. There was supposed to be a third with no liners but I don't think I ever received pictures of it. At that time Indian Adventures was willing to drill the oil galleys on the "Chief Many-Horeses" line for me.

30. Algon

Algon

Some M/T stuff.... and the FE blower intake I'm searching for.

Attached Files: