Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Fly Wheels? What's the story?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Nov 27, 2012.

1. I picked up a single Motor Fly wheel yesterday and was wondering what the story is on these magnesium rims. It measures 16 inches across roughly. Is that the only size they came in. I might be interested in a mate for it if I can find one. Not sure if I'll ever use them if I did get a set. What year were they popular in drag racing? Seems like it was early 70's to me. What are they worth? I never priced them before. Just looking for a little insight here. Thanks.

2. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

They were very popular in the 70's very lite sometimes Ebay has them or for more or better info go to www.classracer.com they will know more;)

I had a set of fronts wish I had them back cool wheels they were called Flys and Fleas believe it or not:D

I don't think they are legal because of the magnesium you can't put em out if they catch on fire more NHRA crap!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Not real great on the street, Scott Sullivan had them on the Ceesewhiz orange 55 that was in HRM in the 80s and broke one. He has posted about it here, his nick is cheezwiz

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They did make them in many sizes. I know I have seen them in both front and rear applications on drag cars.

5. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Tman...the ones on Scott's '55 were Monocoque's that had Motor Wheel Fly windows machined into them...

Blindmule...Motor Wheel made two types of front drag wheels : "Flys" were magnesium, and had the 'triangle'-style windows in them, and "Fleas", which were a 2-piece, welded, spun aluminum wheel, with a smooth face, no windows, ( like a Centerline, or Cragar Super Trick, but no rivets or bolts)...

I have a pair of Flea's, and several pairs of Fly's in my collection...

curbspeed...all front Motor Wheel Fly's & Flea's were 15" x 4"...all rears were aluminum only,they were available in 15" diameter, with 8", 10",12", and 14" width's. Motor Wheel stopped marketing them in 1974, because they were getting out of racing.

I also have a set of four magnesium Motor Wheel Spyder's, of which I've never seen another set of...

They are pricey...good luck finding another, or, if you'd like to sell your single, PM me...

6. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

From what I understand, Greg Weld tried to buy the patent from Motor Wheel for the Fly's, but Motor Wheel refused to sell, so Weld made his own version which had the immediate area around the windows 'raised'...it was just enough of a difference that it didn't infringe on Motor Wheel's design...

7. MrGasser, you are right now that I think about it. Thanks for refreshing my memory!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Isn't this a set.

Attached Files:

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

There is a guy that brings a full set(fronts and rears) to the portland swap meet, I think his booth is in front of hall A. Has for quite a few years as he is wanting pretty good money for them. He let me lift one of them and they are incredibly light.

10. They are kinda strange. They seem to have some type of purple foam core sandwiched between the two halves and then welded in the center of the rim area. Never seen a wheel built like them before. Mine measures 16" across the face. Not sure if I'm reading it right if Mr. Gasser says they just came in 15". I 'll take a photo of it tomorrow and post it here with the tape streatched out on it. I am in the process of cleaning it up and making it look pretty. It will be garage art for now. It is a small ford 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. Neat looking rims and very light. They are stamped inside not intended for street use. Thanks for all your input guys. I think I will give (vintagegasser) a call. I seem to remember him having some. Tom are out there tonight? Marty I think you are right on the picture. Those look like them.

11. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Yes, those are Fly's on the Glidden/Allen car...they were very popular on early '70's Pro Stock race cars...

curbspeed...the lip itself is making the wheel appear to be 16"...the tire actually sits down inside the lip, where the diameter is 15"...remember, it's not the wheel that's 15", it's the tire...

12. Thanks, ya I remeasured it better today and your right. It's a 15x4. Here is a pic of the wheel. I started working on it some. The back is still patinaed.

Attached Files:

13. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

The red foam in the front wheels was a later production update...originally, there was a 'floating' spacer with the bolt pattern drilled in it, in between the wheel halves, to keep the center from crushing when you torqued down the lug nuts...it was a real bitch sometimes to get everything lined up while installing the wheels...

The foam was used to fill the space between the halves, and eliminate the metal spacer...

Motor Wheel also used special lug nuts that are exclusive to Fly's...

14. Have kept my set of fronts and 15x12 rears for my coupe, sorry no extra lug nuts

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

rotten, I came really close to buying that set at Portland last year. If I had not just ordered my Real Rodders, they would have been in my garage.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, this dumb arse always thought they were an 80s wheel, DUH! Did I miss it, or has no one posted when the 'Fly's' were first made. If they stopped making them in 74 either they are a refugee from the late 60s or had a very short production run in the 70s. Either way, an amazing wheel with the foam core!! Crazy!

Doc.

17. Tom(vintagegasser) I tried calling you yesterday. Let the phone ring a long time with no luck. I would like to catch up. I will try and post a picture of the foam center which is visible through the windows of the rim. I wonder if they ever had problems with seperation in any way. Anyone have a year when these were first made?

18. Tom, Can you post a picture of what the proper lugnuts look like since you have some?

19. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Most all the Fly's I've had and seen had the red plastic between the cut outs and they are very brittle and will break easy.Just hang them up as using them is not a good idea since they aren't made and you'll need spares!

20. My buddy just sold a set of fronts and still has the larger rear set, not sure the size and they do use a special set of lugs which he has, cool wheels and not street legal.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am certainly no authority on these wheels......but my hazy memory is that Motor Wheel Fly's were discontinued BECAUSE of the breakage......

Ray

22. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

I don't recall the Fleas but I do remember the other wheel that Motor Wheel sold back then, the Spyder. A very unique-looking wheel - used to see them paired up with the Flys, front and rear.

[​IMG]

23. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I was told they went out of the racing wheel business when I asked about buying a set in 1976. The were designed to be a straight line racing wheel and wouldn't take the side loading required for street use.

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Gary Kollofski ran a set on his wicked '55 back in the 70's. Truly a beautiful combo.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

even racing wheels shouldn't break so easily, IMO......may be a good reason to "get out of the racing business".........and their response would be what the Legal and/or PR people would say publicly.

Doesn't matter why much now, though, except for those who might be tempted to run the few remaining sets in circulation.

Ray

26. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Cragar Super Tricks were the same, "Not For Street Use" The Centerline's were ok. Fly's and Tricks were for straight line competition only .

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

yep MAN cave art....