Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap garage alternative - Cargo Container

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swissmike, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I used four 20' containers to build my shop. Put them side by side on gravel base, then bolted them together at the front where there's some thicker steel, used a plasma cutter to take out the sides so it's open all the way across.

I built a roof over them (actually my woodworking shop) and it works great. Even had a pretty hot fire in there and all I had to do was pressure wash the outside and repaint. (inside was a different story)

If I were to do it again I'd look for the "Hi clearance" ones that are 9-10 feet tall.

I found mine with a internet search for "used intermodal containers" and asked for "not wind and water tight" to get them cheaper. Fork truck holes are easily fixed.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to live in a 40' one. I'm weird like that.

3. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Mike
    When you still have not enough space, so you can give your roadster to my garage.

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With regard to the condensations issue, i know of a guy who stores a sports car in a container and insdie the container he has one of those bubble carcoon things, and it works perfectly.

Chris

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

If you look online. They have some cool plans to turn these into camps,homes stuff like that. Its so cool.

6. bigbstang1969

bigbstang1969

Ive used the steel containers and also old refer boxes (short for refridgerator). But I also have a problem with these in my town. So I bought an enclosed 24 foot car trailor to store 1 of my cars. Works out great. The enclosed car trailor has many uses if you remove the car. I have loaded it up and hauled it to fleamarkets also.

7. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

The basic problem with containers is that they're 8ft wide x 8ft tall. I've wondered about using a "high cube" container which is still 8ft wide,but 10ft tall and laying it on it's side(?)
    you'd have to put down some flooring because at that point,the 'floor' is actually one of the sides. But,one door is now a ramp. Has anyone actually seen this done?

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Leaky roofs are easily fixed by putting some battens on with some roof sheeting. Simple, low cost and it helps with condensation on the roofs where you have snow.
    In hurricane or tornado-prone areas, make sure you secure these things down to LARGE lumps of buried concrete - they may be 5000 pounds empty but they've got a large surface area and will fly away, along with what you have inside. Jumbo jets are heavier but they fly pretty darn good - it's not weight, it's surface area.
    Anyway, they're a good thing, and pretty cheap too - especially ones that have passed their Use-By date.
    Cheers.

9. bab

bab
    from nd

Got a 24 foot van body off a mail truck. It was a life saver when I needed quick storage.

10. I must live close to Grumpy our zoning doesn't allow containers or transport trailers parked on your property hell motor homes have to be parked behind the frt of the house. but my lot is plenty big I'm allowed to build 4 six unit condos on it

11. no55mad

no55mad

If they are not modified for better ventilation, they get very hot inside (oven like) when closed up and exposed to the sun!

12. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

it the RV storage lot where i used to keep my travel trailer there were many 53' cargo containers that people built in to shops, it's great becauseyou can make all the noise you want to no one around to give you a hard time, i've seen them vented with fans on the roof and A/C units form RV's mounted on top and powered by a generator. one of the guys even has a vintage greyhound bus parked next to his and he lives in it. not a bad gig for $100.00 per month. my travel trailer now sits next to my garage and yes it's packed full of car parts.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's my 20 footers with a monitor roof to match our other buildings. When I bought mine, gave them the Sherwin-Williams code to match the paint on the house. The overhead storage is real handy and the containers do not turn into sweat boxes in the summer. BTW, my floors are hardwood.

No permit needed as they are "temporary". Containers, custom trusses, roofing and labor came in under ten grand.

Attached Files:

14. mlagusis

mlagusis

Maybe drill some 1/2" drain holes in each corner just in case???

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

heres mine right after i finished it up. It looks a lot more used and has more stuff around it now. The fronts of the boxs are painted black as well to hide them more.

Attached Files:

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Drain holes become mouse holes...........

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quarter-inch thick perforated metal.

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dexter killed his last victim in one of those